In a Perfect World?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Nature Boy, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Right this minute when searching through my fridge looking for a snack after smoking a spliff and I stumbled upon a 100g chocolate bar. On the cover it said that it cost 99 Euro Cents. Quickly estimating in my mind, I came to the rough conclusion that decent standard chocolate is about 500 times cheaper than decent standard hashish by the gram.

In a perfect world, where marijuana was legalised internationally and where people could smoke and sell it officially, how much do you think the prices would drop to? Anytime I pick up something like chocolate, or a packet of coffee, I just imagine a world where you could pick up a nice kilo of medium quality hash at a local supermarket for a reasonable price. Now with the possibility of some minor tax, I think the price would be well below the 500 times more expensive than chocolate. A guess? Maybe 150 times.

Opinions? Thoughts?

2. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think they would keep the prices fairly high, possibly even make it more expensive just because they know they could get it. If any government is gonna legalize herb, they are gonna make sure they are makin big bucks off it. From what you said, that is actually a pretty reasonable price, especially concidering what ive heard about the situation in UK/Ireland. Ive heard much worse from some other places. I dont know about the quality over there compaired to here, but at that price i wouldnt complain. SWIM actually smoked some herb this saturday night after a 3 month break, before that smoking 4-5 times daily for about 7+ years. All he has to say is it was like the first time all over again, no hard drugs have messed him up like that for a very very very long time.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  3. DoorsPerception

DoorsPerception Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yea i think offical "big tabaco" pot would be comparable to todays street prices but it would also be professionaly breed. the homegrown most people get from thier dealer would be 10x cheaper than today b/c it would be legal and they could sell thier blend to support thier habit.

the reason choclate is 1 cent a gram is because it lasts about 3 mins,
    pot is XX a gram and last hours,(just imagine how much you would pay for a gallon of gass if it could take you around the world) i think you get more bang for you buck with pot and no nasty tummy pains after a binge

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    That's something I wanted to address. The production of medium quality hashish I'd imagine couldn't cost much more than the production of medium quality chocolate if they were both produced in official factories or something. By right, considering the creation costs would be the same, shouldn't the cost price be the same? In a perfect world I think it would be.

100g of super polm for under a buck anyone?

5. DoorsPerception

DoorsPerception Newbie

Reputation Points:
    in a perfect world i would have to agree with you but in this money driven world i would have to raise the question(just imagine how much you would pay for a gallon of gass if it could take you around the world) how long will 100g's last a long frigin time so in the event of legalization it will cost a friging lot, (now me imagines what one would do if pot cost a penny)

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    It could at least equal contemporary Dutch prices. That would be reasonably fair in my opinion.

7. bcStoner420

Reputation Points:
    I think the only way the prices are likely to go down, is if its not only legal to buy from government run operations and whatnot, but to grow your own also. And not everyone will do that and people who will wont all do it right away im guessing. So it will take time but given these circumstances i can see the prices going down. If its restricted for special licensed companies to grow and sell so that the gov can tax it big time, i can only imagine prices going up.

8. anabolictrio

anabolictrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from italy
    well i don't know...
    growing nice weed require a lot of time,knowledge and love.

if you live in marocco , you can have kg of hash for few bucks.... but the quality is not so good as you immagine.

If you want to smoke only Ice-o-lator it would cost more than chocolate even if weed became legal.

9. turfshark_40

turfshark_40 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think the price would be reduced drastically. Think about prohibition in the US, when something is made illegal demand may decrease slightly because of those who are deeply convinced of the authorities who tell them it is the devil's brew, but supply is much much smaller. High demand along with small supply equals high costs for the consumer. Legalization would mean a lot more sources since it would no longer have the risk of jail or other things to deter people from selling or growing.
    This also would need the assumption of some sort of competition between growers/sellers. If it was all sold through the government it would probably be pretty expensive. Take a look at British Columbia's arcane rules of liquor distribution which is run by the governement. A 6 pack of a normal domestic beer is something like 8 dollars here, while in Alberta it is maybe 3 or 4? I'm not sure exactly. And then just a bit south of the border the same beer, albeit a little weaker, is something like 2 bucks and can be purchased at a convenience store.

10. bcStoner420

Reputation Points:
    ^^ Thats the problem though, you really think if they legalize they are going to keep growing it for yourself and even selling it legal? its all gonna be monitored and selling/growing will still be illegal outside of their government businesses. They are not goin to make it that easy, if they legalize it its gonna be for themselves so they can tax the shit outta it.