infections from shooting heroin

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by sammydaze, Sep 4, 2006.

1. sammydaze

sammydaze Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM IVs regularly and recently has laid off the arms due to some problems. Yesterday SWIM noticed the area around his mid-inner arms had turned red and was hot-to-the-touch and moderately painful. This morning these symptoms seemed to SLIGHTLY subside, but still remain. It hasn't gotten worse and appears to possibly be getting better.

I am reluctantly accepting that he's probably picked up some kind of infection from the needle, but is uncertain what it could be, how serious it is, and what (if anything), should be done

Should SWIM head to the ER for an immediate dose of antibiotics? Should he wait it out and let his immune system do its job?

Does anyone have any experience with "infections" like this?

THanks

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    You should definitely go see a doctor if theres even a suspicion that You has an infection. at the best, it seems like a mild irritation, maybe a blood blister. at worst, it could be an infection. is it releasing pus or anything? if so, definitely go see a doctor. but even if it is improving, it couldnt hurt to see a doctor, and You might thank himself later if he turns out to have gotten something. why take chances? nip this thing in the bud and have it checked out. good luck.

3. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i dont know how it works in the US (i'm guessin thats where you live) but in england we can book an emergency appointment at the local gp's, if you cant do that then personally i would go to the ER room, it aint worth the risk mate, but thats only if you cant go to your local gp soon.

4. ponygirl

ponygirl Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    My elbow got infected a few months ago...for no reason. I have a crappy immune system sometimes due to my Celiacs disease, but anyhow...there was a tiny little dot of red and the pain and swelling in my elbow kept growing. The Docs at the Urgent Care Clinic wanted me on IV antibiotics but I couldn't afford it and took pills instead. I also put drawing salve on it that I use on my horses when they get an infected cut. You can get it at like a Vet or Tractor Supply and it's useful for people to when you get an icky cut or even a pimple...but anyhow...my point is that if you let it just set...it can get really icky. Go to the doctor. I wouldn't worry about the emergency room. They will let you sit for hours and hours anyway. Go see your doc or an urgent care clinic...but do get it looked at.

5. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Most likely you have a infection around that vein, probably from a slight miss. Some good antibotic cream and some antibotic pills will do the trick. Same as everybody else said, go see a doc.

6. suninmy_MOUTH

suninmy_MOUTH Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i would go to the hospital to get it looked at.. but try and be careful what you say around the doctors and have some excuse, lame is ok--better than nothing--for how your arm got that way.

SWIM once had a strange experience where his whole arm started swelling up rapidly after a shot. I got totally freaked out and called 911. SWIM told the ER doc that he had been reaching under my desk and a splinter poked him where my IV mark was. (also at that time I didn't have track marks, being a newbie, which helped SWIM, i think). the doc still asked him though if he had taken any drugs via IV, and if I was anyone other than a confused and freaked out 17 year old kid, I think he woulda called the cops on him. this was just a little college town though, a big city hosptial might be different though... either not caring at all, or totally unsympathetic and calling the cops right away.

I have been off the dope for 5 years + now, but is curious if anyone had an experience like he did with his arm getting so swollen, so fast, and eventually at the ER, it just subsided on its own. never happened again, I say....

I do mention that he is not totally clean though, recently started goofing around with the "other" white powder... check my crazy posts in that forum for the ramblings on a coke binge. overall, in my honest opinion though, H is a much better drug to be on, but SWIM hopes that he can not form a habit with C... with the immienent crash, I amn't going to want to even see any blow for a long time!!!

good night folks... sorry to get off topic, hope i was helpful in the begining though..:D

7. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    I got deep vein thrombosis and blood clots in his left leg due too having not washed There hands before IV. When I went too there doctors they said there was nothing they could do, so they sent me to hospital where I was passed from pillar too post before Anyone would deal with the problem. Finally they put me on Fragmin and afteru a few weeks the swelling cleared up. Even now after about 5 years of no IV use swims leg still plays up. So don't take any risks where swellings are concerned.

8. sammydaze

sammydaze Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thank you all for your responses. SWIM woke up the next day and although not completely better, his arm was better. He got his hands on some anti-biotics and took a few days worth and this seemed to alleviate the discomfort.

The problem is, when I need to get well, even with good shooting technique, he'll find himself carelessly digging for veins, leaving him in a world of pain for several days afterwards. It doesn't particularly sound like a good trade off, but next time, he says, he'll do it differently :/

9. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    Since I had all there problems from IV'ing they have taken to smoking it and finds there are alot less problems this way, so if You is any good at running heroin on a piece of foil then stick with this method.

10. gojira

gojira Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Could be You is working on an abcess, basically an infection in the fascia, the sub-cutaneous sheath around muscle tissue. This happens alot with low quality dope, esp. tar, or dirty rigs, dirty environment etc. Sometimes (rarely though) they will clear up on thier own, a bad one however, or one that goes unchecked for some time, can kill you by leading to septiceamia. What you described, redness, heat, swelling, sounds like an abcess to me.
    You should see a doc right away, if you get to it soon, they most likely can stick a big syringe in the area and remove the pus build up, if its too big, it has to be cut out, and that ncludes a large amount of tissue around it to prevent its recurrence. plus the wound needs to stay open and the dressing changed several times daily. not pretty, not fun, and the scars can be horrific.
    Since I have hardly any veins left due to off ph tar, they muscle thier dope and have had a few of these.
    A few years ago there was a lot of necrotising fasciitis going around the bay areae from dope smuggled in cow carcasses, I have seen people with holes in thier limbs you could fit a tennis ball into from that!
    be careful!

11. Clubsloth

Clubsloth Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    Never let anything abnormal go without seeking medical attention. Before i ever started shooting or doing heroin at all for that matter i met a guy in a rehabilitation center. He never shared needles but he did reuse them. One day alittle while after he shot up he began to feel an extreme pain in his arm. However it looked totally normal so he stuck it out.

BAD IDEA. Turns out a flesh eating bacteria got into his arm and ate away about 45% of his forearm in just 6-7 hours. Going to the hospital sucks. but it beats having skin grafted from your arse to your arm.

12. teletrooper

teletrooper Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My Lizard's elbow is weirdly swollen after a year of IV cocaine use with a coupkle of dissolved pills ( adderall/ritalin) but mostly C. It is NOT discolored, not very sore but feels like an elbow pad of something. Or thats what he sayss. Most IV infections are more local ( near the I site) this is like on the other side of poor lizards arm. Noticed it two weeks ago. Are the two ( weird swelling/ Iv use) connected?

teletrooper added 1 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Do have MD appointment in couple weeks. Too long?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  13. gonzochef

gonzochef Professional lab rat Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    If the swelling has not gone down or improved after two weeks of waiting, I would personally recommend seeing a doctor sooner than your appointment. You don't want to wait that long. Most minor or benign injecting problems (like bumps, swelling, even what look like the beginning of an absess) will generally resolve themselves in the amount of time you've been waiting, which means this could potentially be something more serious and should be checked out immediately. That isn't to say that you shouldn't see a doctor for those other issues, because they too can become very serious, but in my experience I have stubbornly waited and refused to see a doctor for such things and all have resolved themselves in a few days to a week. So, if it's been two weeks with no improvement my assumption is that it is more serious and requires medical attention. Go get it checked out and let us know what the doctor has to say. Thanks, and good luck.

14. JustanotherDA

JustanotherDA Newbie

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o from U.S.A.
    Never ever wait too long in situations like this, cause a little too late could mean the difference between keeping or losing flesh and/or limbs. Many many different things can cause IV complications. From used needles introducing bacteria into the body, dirty bacteria dope, (especially black tar like I get) turnequiet too tight or syringe pulled before it's released can cause dope to leak back out under the skin. This causes similar effects of missing a shot but much more manageable and far less damage. Just a few common examples. If you ever notice complications from a shot, address them accordingly (wash thoroughly, I apply bacetracian ointment to IV site, depending on situation applying either a hot or cold compress will alleviate some discomfort and assist in managing swelling/bumps) if by day 2 or 3, the compress/Ice packs and still have Radiating heat, swelling, redness and no noticeable improvement it's time to call the doctor and get it checked out. Many different things have happened IME so I've learned how to address each. Good luck to ya and hope this helps anyone else too. Questions just shoot me a reply or message.

15. kellivlem

kellivlem Newbie

Reputation Points:
    53 y/o from U.S.A.
    I experienced the exact same thing only in me thigh. I waited so long that it almost took my life! Turns out it indeed was an abcess/infection and turned to sepsis, a blood infection from allowing the infection in my leg to be there too long. Please get to the er and have it looked at immediately!

16. ShadyknightSC

ShadyknightSC Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from South Carolina, U.S.A.
    Shady agrees with everyone's advice to PLEASE gobget it checked, ask for a blood test and cultures. I'll cross reference this recent personal experience to explain why.https://drugs-forum.com/threads/274921