Insomnia + Panic following stimulant use...

Discussion in 'Amphetamine' started by Nicaine, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    This has been happening to SWIM a lot lately, and it seems just about every strong upper does it... speed, coke, propylhexedrine, etc. SWIM typically stays up all night doing it, stops at some point and of course waits to come down completely. No matter how long he waits, he ends up with severe insomnia when trying to get to sleep, including nasty panic attacks that sometimes keep him awake an additional full night and even into the next day! It doesn't matter how exhausted he is, he cannot even get close to falling asleep. It's horrible, really a nightmare.

Does anyone think I am throwing off his brain chemistry from the stims, and the insomnia/panic is related to that somehow? Anyone else have this sort of issue? Most people seem to drop right off to sleep after a run of stimulant use, so I feel kind of alone here. Based on past experience with opiate agonists, he thinks his regular use of kratom may be exacerbating the problem.

2. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    Yeah, stimulants will do that, especially if you just lay in bed waiting to fall asleep - just laying there thinking faster and faster and getting more and more anxious over not falling asleep would make SWIM himself loose it - maybe You should take a downer or just stay up and take more.

3. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I think its from putting everything in the world in a nasle spray bottle...jk
    that all sounds like normal stimulant stuff for swim,he doses all night stops then not be able to sleep but be so tired and go lay down and just lay there all night.he dosent get panic attacks,but that also sounds within the realm of normal.if swins kratom grows on trees(haha thats punny) then m aybe later in the night/morning that might help with teh sleep but then again swims never tried it so hes speaking without experiance.

4. dogzz

dogzz R.I.P. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim found it best to just stay up and keep doing stuff ....gaming was a good past time rather than just lay there trying to get to sleep. You are doing a stim....what do you expect???

Stims affect many people different than others, I has noticed some people tolerate stims well, while others just a little throws them way out of wack........to directly answer your question....yes it is possible you are throwing your brain chemistry into a fit....again...what did you expect?

A more important question is...do you feel your brain chemistry normalizes after a period of not using stims? I have seen many a user not ever become what they were before using .....

5. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    SWIM just went 3 weeks clean of everything except nicotine..... no meth, no sleeping pills, no benzos, no GHB, no codeine, no ritalin etc.... this along with healthy eating and regular sleep patterns left SWIM feeling absolutely fantastic....... SWIM can't even remember the last time she felt this happy without the help of a substance. This was following 10 years of heavy drug use so it does get better, but like dogzz said, it is different for everyone.

As far as insomnia and anxiety while coming off stims, I didn't have much of a problem with this when she started using meth regularly, but heavy use for extended periods of time did cause this and thus her addiction to sleeping pills (Zopiclone) and Benzo's (Clonazepam) started and she has used them for every meth comedown since. I found the antidepressant Effexor (Venlafaxine) helped with the anxiety and cravings while coming down off meth, but Zopiclone was still required to sleep.

6. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Hey, glad to hear that lostgurl! Just asked in another thread how You has been doing, sounds like the answer is "well."

I think he's given propylhexedrine up (uggghhh) and otherwise has been using stims rarely... just a bit of expensive dabbling in coke every now and then. That may change with the evolving research chemical market, but at the moment (other than kratom) I am not really using much. Drugs *do* get to be a drag when over-used, like anything that's done too often or too much. I have been looking at getting back into computer programming and website design, maybe he should start thinking about making some money before he gets too old to have any real use for it :D.

P.S. SWIM's mum finally got a modern PC + broadband, so he's finally got a use for that webcam he bought awhile ago ;). Except she's been asking him if he's getting too skinny lately... ouch... LOL.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  7. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    LOL I just replied to your post on renegades thread Nicaine and I don't want to repeat myself but You really is sounding so much happier and that is just really cool, I hope you keep up with these positive changes and put all that intelligence to good use! I will write a bit more later about whats been going on for her, and for once she only has good news to report :crazy So YAY for you, SWIM, SWIFreaky and all the rest of the df swimmers..... You guys all rock! I am not high right now either she is just really excited about all her plans, goals and dreams for her future.... and well, how does it go, share the love? :p