Insomnia

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by PingoTango, Feb 22, 2007.

1. PingoTango

PingoTango Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    SWIM suffers from really bad insomnia. Right now it's 4:30am and he can't sleep. He slept from 10pm-midnight and has'nt managed to get a wink since. Didn't sleep at all last night.

It's like this most nights for SWIM :mad:

Any other members of the wide awake club out there?

2. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim generally has tons of sleep problems. He can't get to sleep, doesn't get enough sleep, talks in his sleep, moves around quite a bit in his sleep, etc. Melatonin has helped somewhat. As for tonight, I has to get up early again tomorrow but is probably actually going to get to sleep early for once thanks to Kava. It works quite well, and add some 5-HTP in and its better yet. Swim still wants to try GHB as a sleeping aid though...

3. PingoTango

PingoTango Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    Ketamine usually helps SWIM get a good night's sleep once the trip has worn off, but he dosen't want to get into using it purely as a sleeping aid.

He's never tried GHB though...

4. pankreeas

pankreeas Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    99 y/o
    I second the tryptophan, and swim might like to know that almost anywhere (altho I am unsure about in the U.K) can be prescribed. One might want to make an appointment with a doctor because You can save lots of money compared to buying it @ a supplement shop. I have a permanent refill for his tryptophan. It's under a handful of $ for a months supply if u get it via prescription. Another bonus about gettin it through a pharmacy is the sizes. 50 - 500mg and even 1 gram pressed pills are available in Canada and all cost the same regardless of size.

5. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been using marijuana to help him sleep for the past year and a half and it's worked pretty good. Usually 45minutes to an hour before he plans on going to sleep, a bowl with his bong is good enough!

6. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  7. Primacorza

Primacorza Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Is swim a nickname for when you're asking a question for the sake of it and not talking about anyone specific (I'm new)?

I do have insomnia, I have had it for four weeks at least and from the symptoms I personally believe that it's stress relationed. Being stationed in Okinawa (USMC), communication with loved ones is difficult and the solitude after work and the time I have over the weekend doesn't help.

I tried benadryl and it didn't do Jack- frankly antihistamines make you drowsy, they don't make you sleep and since I'm already drowsy 24/7, my body considers it a joke.

So I tried promethazine (Than you Canada!) with slightly better results- it seems promethazine, being related to old antipsychotics, shuts down enough thoughts that it was slightly easier to "shut out" the constant worry and ramblings of my mind at 11 PM, but I still took long to sleep, woke up constantly, had nightmares, and also the Promethazine's grogginess carried through to the next day.

The odd this is I don't seem to have this problem when I'm occupied with work- I fell asleep twice at work- both times without really any control over it (luckily nobody was around to catch me).

So I went to medical, the doc was somewhat unsimpathetic but he gave me a load of advice on sleep patterns all of which I tried, and I was just hoping he would get me some benzos- strong anti-anxiety for my troubling thoughts at night, and strong sedation so I'll actually be knocked the heck out.

He gave me Trazodone- a tetracyclic antidepressant usually used for PTSD and COCAINE addiction. He said nothing about depression (which I don't think I have), basically he admitted he was using it off-label for it's sedation effects, which are a freaking antihistamine effect. If 100 mg of promethazine doesn't work, why would something that makes people tired by accident work? As I expected, it doesn't do anything (it's weaker than benadryl) for my sleep or my dreams, and now I've been simply taking it as ordered on top of benadryl and occassionally other sedatives I come across legally.

Sorry for the long story. Please please please, what do you all suggest? A pharmacist once told me that there are herbal aids that work alot better than OTC antihistamines, can anybody confirm this, and what is your opinion of benzos or other Rx drugs for insomnia? I plan on talking to the doc again monday to see if I can get my medication changed- this is not cool.

Thx

8. janesays

janesays Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim suffers from insomnia even when not using coke. I used to take tylenol pm to help with the insomnia, but now even pm meds dont work. I usually reads or watches a movie/tv to help swim fall asleep because swim always has a lot on her mind.

9. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Depends on both dosage and tolerance. Most people don't build up much tolerance to sedative-hypnotics, but I was taking Ambien during the day for its euphoric effects...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  10. Primacorza

Primacorza Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Insomnia (solved my own problem)

A narcotic-antihistamine combination seems to work well (benadryl and 7-ohm). On top of the antidepressant I was given, I've started having wonderful sleep.

11. CCCP

CCCP Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  12. pankreeas

pankreeas Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    99 y/o
    Well in regards to the zopiclone, ambien , et all.. stopping their use (the longer the regiment, the worse it gets) and attempting natural sleep will make bedtime as much fun to look forward to as your own funeral.

13. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kava Kava, Valerian Root, potentially Lagochiline. For herbal remedies there are plenty to look through, but the only problem is finding out which ones actually work. I am rather partial to Kava though he intends to try some others and compare in the future.

I have tried benzos for sleep aid purposes and doesn't like them for the same reasons he doesn't like most any non-herbal sleep medicine, and that is the hangover side effects the next day he generally feels.

Swim likes sleep, but he'd rather have a good rested sleep than a pharmacy induced coma-like sleep that makes him feel shittier than if he had just stayed up all night!

What makes you say that? From what I has heard its more of the other way around....

14. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    I've this terrible problom were I can't sleep for ages becuase I have some many thouights running through my head. I seem to be able to fix it though with a nice, hot cup of hot choclate and a good run.

15. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have suffered from insomnia since he was a child. Nothing works for him quite as well as 50mg diphenhydramine, 6mg melatonin, some vitamin B6, and a shot of Jim Beam.

ECL

16. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    One old trick Bongo learned many years ago is HOW to relax the body. Where to begin. If your body is wound up like a spring - sleep is quite difficult as the mind/thoughts tend to follow suit. Maybe it's the other way around - but relaxing the body is much easier than the mind to start with:

Focus - yes focus, even though your trying to shut off that thing - your mind on your tongue. Now actively allow your tongue to relax in your mouth. As you are relaxing your tongue, do the same for your jaw. Then your neck. Now shoulders....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

Many times this will do the trick without reaching for the Ambien, Dalmane, Dead Sheep...

17. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I know that trick as well. He had a hypnotist tape he would listen to that had a soothing voice telling him to relax parts of his body and direct his getting to sleep. One time I used it to have a nice little nap and woke up four or so hours later!

The problem is that when I use this regularly if his brain doesnt feel like going to sleep swim can get his entire body to be completely numb and without feeling (like it was all injected with novacaine) but he just can't get to the last step. Its something with the mind.... Don't know what, but I am just ridiculously bad at getting to sleep, even when he really concentrates, generally from the legs up.

18. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've heard of that trick and have done it, I think it's called Yoga Nidra is it not?

19. podge

podge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    The best thing to help go to sleep is to exercise. Literally get your body so fucking tired it has no alternative but to sleep. Weights , sit ups , press ups , go for a run , etc.......and the mandatory spliff before bed is always good in swims book.

20. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend Swim used to be good at this type of meditation. He came upon it in a book on self-hypnosis rather than Yoga, but the principle is the same.

He tells me that, in addition to helping one sleep, it can improve the quality of CEVs from psychedelics or dissociatives by a factor of 10. Not the most scientific measurement, I think, but that's what he says.

ECL