insomnia

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by Daeron, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Daeron

Daeron Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    i have been suffering from insomnia almost whole of my life.It comes and goes and i thought i have learned to live with it,but the last 3 months have been a total hell.I had absolutely no sleepfor 5 days now[​IMG].Every night im just turning in my bed,thoughts racing till morning.I know weed and benzos help alot,but i would like tosolve this problem without drugs..

does anybody have advice or similar problems?please help

2. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    I have the same problem, used to rely on hash to get me to sleep, but I don't want to smoke that much so I'm going sober in the weekdays. If I smoke hash daily for a couple of weeks the insomnia returns and I have to smoke myself retardedbeforeI finally fall asleep.Spent 6 hours in bed before I slept last night. I agree that medication is a bad way to solve this problem, but I haven't been able to find anything else that works.

If you go one week without sleeping, smoke some weed or take some tranquillizers, you can go psychotic from lack of sleep, but you probably know that allready[​IMG].

Sleep is very important to all human-beings, if anyone has any usefull advice on this it will be greatly appreciated. I've tried melatonin, valerian and a shitload of other herbs that do nothing for me. The only thing that works for me is hash or opiates. I love opiates, they put me in deep sleep with many dreams every time, but I've chosen to stay away from them since I develop habits very quickly. It would be a bad situation if I was depending on morphine just to get to sleep.Edited by: sunyata

3. Daeron

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    well at least ive read a lot of good books lately

...going to try a nice hot relaxing bath,i doubt it will help,but hey this is going to be a long night,might as well be fresh and clean

Ithink that insomnia is more of a psychosomatic problem then it is a physical one,but I have no idea how to cure it..what yoga?zen crap?feeling happy with myself stuff?I doubt it.

...anyway its good to know im not alone

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  4. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I use unisom pills on sunday night and 1 other day through out the week. I can't take them more than two days a week though or they don't work.

5. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    i dont know if you've tried meditation but if you give it a bit of time you might find it can really help you to tune out if you know what i mean? ..............have you tried counting sheep? [​IMG]i'm a bad sleeper and always have been but i'm def not an insomniac thank god

6. noeticbuzz

noeticbuzz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Try working out with weights or doing some cardio, play some pickup, try and get out and do some exercise, it'll help alot.

Try Valaerian root you can pick it up at a drug store.

7. Lacognac69

Lacognac69 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have heard that just laying down and resting in your bed can be almost as good as sleeping. Laying for 8 hours would be equal to about 5 hours of sleep, of course that would be quite boring, but supposedly it would be good to help you get through the day. I would try to listen to some kind of relaxing music and not worry about sleeping, just try to rest and maybee you would fall asleep. I tend to get fidgetty when i cant sleep but when i just relax i eventually do. Obviously insomnia is a much more serious problem than that but resting is better than tossing and turning.

8. Daeron

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    Trust me after a few days without sleep,your eyes will hurt like hell,you wont be able to concentrate..there is no way that 8hrs of laying down is equal to 3hrs of sleep,not to mention 5...

i managed to scrap together a few hrs of sleep last night,around 3am i got so pissed off that i went out and jogged my ass off...i was so exhausted but still it took a hour or so before i finally slept.I now think that its all stress related,and a psych major I know agrees;my good friend died recently,and since the tsunami I cant get in touch with a friend who works in india..plus the usual daily crap

anyway thank you all for your suggestons but tonight im sleeping with benzos[​IMG]

9. Lacognac69

Lacognac69 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ya, i didn't necessarily agree with what i heard. My professor who has a PHD in psychology was the one who had suggested this idea. I was quite skeptical about it myself as i know that i would become very tired very quick not actually sleeping. I figured he might be somewhat correct in what he said, but its mostly only works for a day or two and then you would probably just be really tired like normal.

10. mescalifornia

mescalifornia Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i agree that meditation, ie; breath counting, help a great deal. also, ritual and scheduled sleep patterns help. I exercisein the evening then take a shower and then reada night only book while in bed till my eyelidsget heavy, then breath count till i'm in dream land. the trick is not to move a muscle, so make sure you're really comfortable mentally/physically. then just know that the transition into sleep just happens. like a dmt flash[​IMG]

A warning about diphenhydramine; it can leave you with dark circles around your eyes when you wake up.makes mefeelgroggy and slightly confused/delerious while falling asleep and even a bit while wakingup. not a true sleep/ quality sleep. don't recommend

11. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    I'm not a real insomniac, but I have problems getting to sleep and
    staying asleep at times. I am experimenting with Valerian root (I don't
    really like benzos, and they give a poor quality sleep). It seems to
    work fairly well. Its kiind to you, but does not knock you out. Quality
    of sleep seems better.