Insufflation question

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by weekender2, May 5, 2007.

1. weekender2

weekender2 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hey you'all, I have been tooting 20mg Oxy's for the last little while and it occurred to him that he knows very little about how insufflation works. In other words, what body part actually does the heavy lifting? Is it the nose/throat, the lungs, or some other area I amn't considering? Just curious.

Pax,
    Weekender

2. paranoid_android

paranoid_android Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    As far as I know, insufflation works in two major ways: the blood vessels in the nasal passages, and leakage into the digestive system, known as "the drip". From what I understand, certain opiates like oxycodone are absorbed better through the nasal passages than through the digestive system, which is why insufflation is popular with them. Also, oxycodone is one of the mid-range opioids that can come without acetaminophen in the United States, unlike hydrocodone. Since it takes much more acetaminophen than opioid to achieve painkilling effects, on a per-milligram basis, pills without acetaminophen contain much less bulk and can actually fit in the nose without dripping down the throat too much.

Hope that helps.

3. weekender2

weekender2 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    it does. Thank you!