Interest in Valerian Root…

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by smithdogg1, Mar 17, 2007.

1. smithdogg1

smithdogg1 Guest

Reputation Points:
    I have an interest in trying Valerian Root to help with insomnia and anxiety. Can You that has tried it chime in on its effects and if it worked for your situation or not? Also is this something that is available OTC, in an extract pill form? I have never seen it, although he has seen a few products which contain it.

2. 69Ron

69Ron Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I use 10 grams now. That’s his preferred dose. He brews a cold water tea from cut and sifted valerian root purchased at the local herb store. He found brewing it for 10 minutes in the refrigerator preserves the potency more than boiling the herb or using hot water. At 10 grams, the effects are pretty obvious and include the following for SWIM:

* A tranquil mental state, where all the background chatter of the mind is cleared up.
    * Mild euphoria (but not always).
    * A mild peaceful relaxed lazy feeling.

It helps with insomnia that is caused by too much mental activity, but it doesn’t make you drowsy or sleepy. You can take it during the day and you won’t feel sleepy or sedated, but you will feel relaxed, peaceful, at ease with things. It’s more of a mental state than a physical effect on the body.

It’s best used to calm the mind, rather than used as a sedative. It’s not really sedating, at least not for SWIM. The effects are mild, but very noticeable for SWIM who’s one of those people who has a lot of mental activity all day long and cannot easily relax his mind. This is the perfect herb for medication, because even SWIM, with his constantly active mind, can actually meditate while on valerian. Without it, it would be impossible to stop his racing thoughts.

Basically valerian calms the mind down, without having true sedative effects. Your mind remains clear and focused, but all the background chatter is reduced greatly. This, I think, is its strong point as an herb. It does this very well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  3. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I use it occasionally and definitely recommends it, its even more potent, in SWIM's opinion, with 5-HTP.

Though it is advertised as a anti-anxiety herb more so than a sedative it knocks SWIM right out, especially in higher doses.

The biggest benefit for SWIM over other OTC sleep aids is that it doesn't make SWIM groggy in the morning.

Yes it is available OTC, just go to a local health store and you should have no problems finding it.

4. Sadman

Sadman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Maybe its just me, but my cat definitely find that Valerian has a mild psychedelic tinge to it at higher doses. Unfortunately I have read some alarming studies purporting a worrisome liver toxicity associated with the Valerian root; though its still inconclusive.

And I funny aside, the actives in Valerian are similar to those of Catnip, and cats seem to be even more attracted and reactive to valerian than they are catnip!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  5. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    Swim likes Valerian, he usually uses OTC pills containing extract.
    At the moment he uses one called Valerina, there are two types 'Night Time' and 'Day Time' the only difference being the amount of extracts.

The 'Night Time' he takes contain......
    Valerian extract. Equivalent to 400mg (Valeriana Officinalis L. root),
    Hops extract. Equivalent to 382mg (Homulus Lupulus L. flowers),
    Lemon Balm extract. Equivalent to 162mg (Melissa Officinalis L. herb)

I take 4 abut an hour before going to sleep and they do help a lot. During the day if he is feeling anxious he takes 2 and they work well.
    My girlfriend takes just one and it knocks hr out, but she is very sensitive to Valerian.

There are several other herbal pills containing Valerian and/or other herbal extracts that are available to buy without prescription (in Ireland anyway)

I have also tried Valerian tea, in the form of tea bags, although they are quite weak.

I have also used dried Valerian root which he would either toss & wash or grind up and make a tea with. Its not the most pleasant tasting root out there but it does work.
    I have found that using too much is often counter effective and has given him a headache.

6. Erumelithil

Erumelithil Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I use 600mg of Valerian root extract (swallowed) in combination with 3-6mg Melatonin tablets (dissolved sublingualy) to help alleviate insomnia symptoms. I have found that valerian root, or melatonin on their own do not help him much but when combined they usually help immensely.

I have noted two recurrent side effects though, one pleasant and one slightly inconvenient;
    * Very vivid dreams with great recall.
    * Great difficulty in waking the next morning, very persistent drowsiness and grogginess (though it can be shaken off easily enough once you're up and about)

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  7. Nokturnal

Nokturnal Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I like to use Celestial Seasonings Tea - Sleepy-time Extra, you can even use 2 Tea bags in one tea, He founds it works really good to put him asleep, It does not contain too much Valerian, but contains Chamomile, Tilia Estrella, and Valerian.

SWIM hopes this helps, restless nights are sure a pain in the ass :eek:

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  8. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    SWIM also uses valerian (100 mg to 300mg) in combination with melatonin top promote sleep. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't get him to sleep at all. This combination is barely psychoactive but can produce relaxation, leading to sleep.

Any comments on doses of valerian? The 'recommended' dose is from 500 mg to 1000mg.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  9. Lil Dragonfly

Lil Dragonfly Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I find that 800 mg of valerian knocks her out cold.

Putting it in tea- That stuff has a horrible stench to it even when safely inside the capsules. (SWIM holds her breath in any room where a bottle of it has been opened, and picks up the pills wearing disposable gloves, as otherwise the smell will not come off her hands no matter how many times she washes them.) Putting it in tea, I cannot even imagine.

melatonin- try going outside in the sun for half an hour every morning. (Not in the shade or while wearing sunglasses) This lets the pineal gland in the brain know when it is daytime and when it is nighttime, so that it produces enough melatonin at night like it is supposed to. I know it sounds silly, but it works wonders.

10. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Wish I had the time to lie in the sun every day! :)

SWIM also wishes 800mg of valerian would knock him out. Tolerance is definitely an issue.

11. Euthanatos93420

Euthanatos93420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Indeed. The same goes for the other end of the spectrum. Sleeping masks, or any other kind of blindfold works well to bump melatonin production naturally in the body.

The thing about consuming melatonin is that it quickly produces both a high tolerence and a dependancy after a time. The dependancy comes about when the body thinks it stops needing to make it's own melatonin because it has found it may rely on an external source due to consistant intake.

Melatonin is good if you have as natural deficiency in production or as a 'quick-fix' once or twice occasionally but if you don't have a deficiency there are many other options to pursue in assistance with sleep.

12. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Clover agrees that Valerian does have a strong smell. Some may not consider it a 'bad' smell, but it's definitely strong. Clover has opened capsules before and dumped them into hot water to make a tea. Clover has not noticed an increase in smell intensity doing this. Clover's stock is surely not too fresh though and he imagines that fresh valerian would have a much stronger smell.

Though it doesn't bother him all that much, Clover does admit that even when taking capsules the smell can be a bit off-setting, if not slightly nauseating.

13. rayul123

rayul123 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from romania
    I takes 100-200mg extract valerian root 1hour prior sleep and helps alot with racing thoughts.

14. John2

John2 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I have been using a 'de-stress' tab 3 times a day for the last week now. 200mg hops, 160mg Valerian and 130mg Passion Flower per tab. I was slightly skeptical, but it actually works. Significantly less extraneous worry, easier to control stray thoughts and I am slightly more relaxed. One slight side effect for the first two days was I was a bit overemotional, but that hasn't happened since. SWIM looked around for tabs with the highest concentration of Valerian, but once this box is finished I will look around again and maybe try 5-HTP (illegal in Ireland) as well.

15. Heartless Assassin

Heartless Assassin

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from U.S.A.
    I have always had an anxiety disorder, and he tried valerian root back when he was in high school. It didn't do a damn thing