Combinations - Interesting interactions between SSRIs and various other chemicals.

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by Akewstick, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I've UTFSE, excuse any ommissions my searching may have thingy.

Edited to add: Sertraline is what Zoloft is called in the UK.

Diphenydramine makes me think bizarre things are real and gives him intense visual hallucinations. A Mixture of Diphenhydramine and Sertraline leaves SWIM with little to no visual hallucinations but greatly multiplies the delerium in the sense of thinking he's in discussions that in fact are fabrications, and finding himself with a need to complete some important task that in fact is either imaginary, or completely trivial and irrelevant to anything in the real world.

SWIM dosen't know why this is.

DXM is an incredibly different experience to DXM within 4 days of taking 100-200mg of Sertraline. Recent Sertraline use does not necessarily make the DXM experience more intense (it might, it's hard to say) but it deffinately leaves him with less faculty of his physical body in general. A DXM experience affected by Sertraline will invariably result in more conversations where someone will ask SWIM a question five or six times and his response to each instance will be "ugh?".

I understand that this is because of the serotonin-related effects of DXM.

When on Sertraline, smoking weed produces a much more clear-headed high, more motivated and stimulated, but less creative or humorous and with less of a penchant for the surreal and absurd that all of SWIM's other weed highs have.

I do not know why this is.

Sertraline and Alcohol invariably results in hours of vomiting, blurred vision and incredible short term memory loss.

I have read something about Sertraline increasing the "patient"'s vulnerability to alcohol intoxication, especially the negative side effects. But, essentially, SWIM still dosen't know why this occurs.

Any info on what SSRIs (in particular, Sertraline/Zoloft) do to your body, specifically in relation to how it might change what effects other drugs may have on you.

I know this is a vague, ill defined question, he's really looking for vague, ill defined answers.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The title of this Forum is "SSRI's" when it should be "SSRIs" or "S.S.R.I.s"

2. Donmeka

Donmeka Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am on celexa and has taken dxm for his first time since and has done coke a couple times since prescription. SWIM noticed with weed or anything he seems more clear headed and it seemed to make the coke comedown less, maybe its just SWIM but he felt better thru the experience than b4 it seemed. swim knows that celexa slows down the seratonin re-uptake process(believe so) is this what it could be?

I have not been an alchohol drinker really for 3 yrs so he doesnt drink much so cant rly comment on that.

my wonder is on things like ectasy and shrooms, anyone have any experience with those 2 while being prescribed SSRIs. should SWIM not take his meds for a couple days if he is able to? or should he go on the day with the ssri and intake of mentioned substance?

cheers cheers

3. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    I did coke, mj, speed and lots of booze while on paroxetine.

Alcohol + paroxetine was the best social combo I've ever tried. Read my post regarding the subject.

C + P was also good even though I didn't like C before.

MJ + P was ok, I didn't find any interaction between these two.

Can't say anything about S + P as the S dose was insignificant

4. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SSRI's stop MDMA working, and also reduce the effects of LSD (and, SWIJ assumes), mushrooms: Indeed any drug which has it's effects via the serotonin system.

There are a couple of papers in the archive...

https://drugs-forum.com/forum/local_links.php?action=jump&id=1180&catid=47

https://drugs-forum.com/forum/local_links.php?action=jump&id=1173&catid=32

on this subject.

Donmeka: No-one can suggest that You stop their meds. Presumably they are on them for a valid reason?

The conventional wisdom is that a fairly long (ie: several months) washout period without SSRIs is needed.

Obviously, if You decides that this is what they want then they should discuss an SSRI taper with their physician.

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Bongo has a friend who was being used as a state-owned Guinea Pig on a plethora of psyche meds - many of them cancelling each other out. It made him sick as a dog with dangerous side effects. Such as night terrors and sleepwalking down flights of stairs. Among these were a steady diet of SSRI's.

He wanted to try Iprocin. This was allowed - without mentioning the likelyhood of it being countered by the SSRI's. The Iprocin had almost no effect. So one can safely assume that mushrooms also would be blocked by an SSRI.

Bongo suggested to his friend that, without telling Dr. Mengle who would have him taken away by police, he stop his medications for at least six months. He did. Then a dose of methylone was offered. It had full effect. Oh boy did it ever! But that's another story. LOL.

Bongo's friend is now a much happier fellow - now that he's no longer a walking laboratory. Those drugs were killing him.

Bongo does not suggest anyone stopping their meds without proper medical supervision. This must be handled on a case-by-case basis.

6. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I posted a thread in the "combinations" forum... he mixed Effexor (supposedly a combination serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, but apparently doesn't hit the latter until much higher doses) with propylhexedrine, and got a powerful, almost overwhelming entactogenic experience while taking a shower... I feel that SSRI's may help round out substances that reuptake other brain chemicals, as long as the body is not fully adapted to the SSRI and its effects can still be "felt" as a wired/euphoric serotonin buzz.

7. Extrome

Extrome Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.
    The sertraline + DXM is mostly due to that fact that sertraline is a potent CYP2D6 inhibitor which is a major cyto-enzyme responsible for metabolizing DXM. With sertraline and alcohol, sertraline puts a heavy load on the liver, so it keeps it busy enough that he has little energy/time to break down alcohol. I have experienced both these combos many times.

8. joerepinephrine

joerepinephrine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o from U.S.A.
    I have been to a mental hospital for treatment for my severe clinical depression. After about 2 months on Prozac (fluoxetine), I underwent a traumatic experience which led me to try dxm. The feeling while high was unexplainable aside from a spirit coming from another dimension and morphing with my soul. The following days were filled with a happiness that I had been searching for from antidepressants. I took approximately 480mgs of dxm but still reached what I believe to be the 3rd plateau. This experience led to a short lived dxm addiction which was cured by concerned friends input. I am now on cymbalta (duloxetine) and am feeling slightly better but with not nearly the happiness and energy I am looking for. Dxm with ssri's is a horrible idea however because of the risk of serotonin syndrome. This is because dextromethorphan uses up the same liver enzyme also used for breaking down serotonin. Hope this provides at least one interesting combination as well as an experience. I was also wondering what the abuse potential is for certain combinations/ concoctions of antidepressants, not just for one single one.
    thanks for listening.

9. Extrome

Extrome Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.
    The reason for DXM + SSRIs causing serotonin sydrome has been noted because they are both potent reuptake inhibitors of serotonin, so with those two in your brain, after a while of serotonin being pumped into your synapse and with little if few reuptake pumps free, the serotonin builds up to dangerous levels and it's effects are greatly pronounced and can lead to death.

Serotonin is not broken down by the cyto zyme CPY2D6, it's metabolized by two pathways tryptophan hydroxylase and amino acid decarboxylase, but yeas DXM + SSRIs are very dangerous. SWIM have mixed the two, but only a little of sertraline a few hours before DXM because sertraline is a potent inhibitor of CYP2D6 which increases half-life and effects of DXM, but it's not do to serotonin enzymes or anything that would be more MAOIs.