Irish "J-day" event cancelled

Discussion in 'Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics' started by Abrad, May 5, 2006.

1. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Taken from http://www.jdayireland.com/:

Seems that this was cancelled due to police objections, SWIM wonders if there will be a police prescence tomorrow to stop any potential protesters from gathering. If so I am sure this will result in a typically heavy-handed approach from the Gardai.

2. Lunar Loops

Lunar Loops Driftwood Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Unfortunately, I can not make it up to Dublin tomorrow, but I agree, it will be VERY interesting to see what sort of approach (if any) is adopted by the Gardai. They currently have McTool leaning on them from every angle and on every subject, the man is clearly every inch a megalomaniac. Reason has never entered into his vocabulary. He's also been laying down the law to the Prison officers this week. Clearly no end to the mans delusional capabilities.

3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I don't even know why people bother with these exhibitions. I mean, what do you expect? For the GardaĆ­ to just sit back while you rip a bongful of White Widow in public? Not a chance. Try San Francisco, not Dublin.

4. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    This is what happened the year SWIM attended. They were just taking photographs. I suppose it wasn't practical to start making arrests when there were hundreds of people openly breaking the law.

5. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I wouldn't want my photo taken either. In all honesty, most pot smokers wouldn't dare be seen smoking in public. Why bother? Smoking at home is safer. Rubbing pot in people's faces isn't gonna help legalise it.

6. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    I agree about not wanting photos taken but I do think demonstrations like this are worthwhile. I suspect the Garda are cracking down on public demonsrations since the Love Ulster riot, aswell as the trouble at the Reclaim the Streets demo a couple of years ago and the Anti-globalisation march last year.

7. Lunar Loops

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I think they have their place, but depends very much on how they are handled. No amount of public opinion is going to be swayed by lots of students and hippy looking types in a park. I'm torn between two camps here, whilst I am VERY pessimistic about any change in public perception and even more so about any policy change in this country, I'm also of the opinion that doing nothing other than smoking in your own home will achieve nothing. I would never criticise those who are prepared to stand up and be counted (however futile it may appear).

8. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Although you contradict yourself, I agree with you. Smoking at home won't do shit and smoking in a big public group won't do shit. It's Ireland, nothing new there.

9. Lunar Loops

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    As I said, torn between two camps. The basic point I was trying to make was that I would say fair play to anyone who tries to organise such events (even if I am rather sceptical of their worth).

In order for people to truly sit up and take notice, any such even would need to attract thousands and have speakers from across the board who were in favour of legalisation....politicians, clergy, youth workers, gardai, drug councellors, respected business men, etc, etc. It's nice to dream........

10. Hyperreal

Hyperreal Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    The gards won't go into the middle of a large crowd to arrest people with joints; it's more trouble than it's worth.
    I agree with shroomonger all the way - fair play to everyone involved. Anti-prohibitionists need to make themselves heard somehow.

11. Lunar Loops

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Anyone have any idea if anything happened on Saturday? Nothing on the J-Day site or ie-cannabis forum.

12. Mr. Giraffe

Mr. Giraffe Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Shroomonger, as far as I know (I wasn't there), the people who turned up had their contact details taken by organsiers for future mobilisation; there was no organised event as such (the council having refused permission for the gathering), but there was a small, informal gathering.

As far as I know, no arrests were made and there was no trouble.

13. Lunar Loops

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Many thanks for the info Giraffe.