Opinions - Is a pipe an economical way to smoke cannabis? What is the best type of pipe?

Discussion in 'Cannabis paraphernalia' started by Magicarp, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Magicarp

Magicarp Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Economically speaking, is using a pipe a good way to smoke weed? Do you get "bang for you buck" relative to a joint.

My friend told me that with pipes that all the weed burns quickly and the smoke is lost too quickly thus it is wasteful. I don't know how reliable that statement is though.

I want to use a pipe because they seem convenient(no rolling) and healthy(don't even have the carcinogens from burning paper). However I am concerned about the reactiveness of metals and how harmful chemicals can be released. What material would be recommended instead? What style of pipe is best? I see some pipes have lids, can someone explain this to me?

I'm not looking for anything fancy with the pipe, I just want function, I don't care about aesthetics.

If its not worth using a pipe and its just one of those novelty things then tell me and I will just smoke joints.

Cheers

2. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Is a pipe an economical way to smoke weed? What is the best type of pipe?

Out of all smoking mediums, SWIM loves smoking out of pipes and bongs. In SWIM's experience, joints & blunts waste the most smoke because it's constantly burning with the paper. If You doesn't want to smoke an entire joint or blunt's worth, then a pipe comes in handy because you can just put a small amount of bud in it, and smoke it up. I think smoking from pipes gets the smoker higher.

Glass and wooden pipes are SWIM's favorite..because with glass you won't get any taste altering the weed..with wooden pipes it seems the weed subtley picks up the scent/flavor/whatever of the wood. SWIM hates metal pipes because they taste disgusting and has heard that they can cause health problems (not sure about the validity of this..but makes sense to SWIM :p )

Also, go for a pipe with a screen (you can buy a screen and put it in yourself) so that bits and pieces of bud don't go flying into your mouth. A small pipe is, obviously, easier to conceal than a larger pipe..so that's something to think about. Hmm what else..oh yeah, I bought a hella cute little blue glass sherlock pipe, but the bowl dipped and went back up, so whenever SWIM lights the bowl, she has to be EXTRA careful or the flame from the lighter will burn her nose and sometimes eyelashes :eek: Some pipes (usually metal) have lids that you can screw/turn off and load the bowl, the lids have holes in them ..that's where the flame goes. They don't spill as easy that way.

Basically the things to look for are a good clean material (glass is awesome), a screen (you know, this isn't ALWAYS necessary but it doesn't hurt), and its practicality as far as smoking goes..learn from SWIM's mistake and don't buy something with a bowl so close to your face that you might burn yourself. Oh, and if you don't break it..it's nice to have a pipe around for a long time, you can eventually start your own little collection :D

The only downfall of pipes that SWIM can think of is that they need to be cleaned every once in a while. Make SURE that the pipe's hole has a good opening that won't get clogged with resin easily. A lot of pipes have "carb" holes in them..you cover them when you inhale the smoke and can uncover when you want a blast of fresh air through the pipe..however I think carbs are a little pointless but it doesn't really matter.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. pokeyjo304

pokeyjo304

Reputation Points:

swim always uses bowls and bongs when he is at home or at a friends house, but he likes to use papers or blunt wraps when he is out on the street, the reason is if you get caught with papers and no weed you cant get in trouble, but if you get caught with a bowl that has resin in it, even if you have no weed on you, then you can get arrested.

bowls and especially bongs is swims favorite way to smoke though.

4. WhiteRhino420

WhiteRhino420 Newbie

Reputation Points:

joints, blunts, bongs, zongs, bubblers, piece pipes, steam rollers, vaporizors...the list goes on.
    it's all in swiy's oppinion...

swim favorite ways to get high or smoke weed has changed a lot since he has started.
    right now, his favorite is pipes/steam rollers because one, they conserve weed a lot longer, two, swim loves the art of smoking (some people only smoke weed to get high, but I do it not only to get high, but the social aspect and art of smoking weed is enjoyable to him), and last, there are so many choices of glass.

joints/blunts are fun but need a lot of weed to make a decent joint. I have about a half-eighth every week, needs to save bud, so glass/bowls come in, and still get him high:cool:

Bongs/Zongs rip harder than hard and are still swims top favorites, use quite a bit of weed but isnt harsh on throat and lungs but gets you higher than shit and plus, they way the work make you think and is genius :D

Bubblers can get in the way sometimes but every so often, when someone whips out a bub. swim cant resist. They are as harsh hitting in-between a pipe and a bong. I would only recomend getting one if it has a big chamber for smoke to build up and IF and only if, its an above decent piece of glass.
    Pricing pretty high, sorry to say.

and last...
    Vaporizors also vary in types of vapes but they dont need much bud to get you high at all.
    The volcano is a forsure buy if You gets their hands on one, I would highly recomend it. but some other vapes arnt that great. they taste bad, gives a drowsey/sleepy high but only one I like is the volcano, because it doesnt burn the weed, and after he uses the bud, he takes the "vape ash" and sells it to newbies, which is great because it looks like un-burt, new bud and it still gets them high, but not as high;)

So its all in someones preferance on what to smoke

5. Magicarp

Magicarp Newbie

Reputation Points:

Sorry, I was interested in buying a pipe for my friend. I shall start referring to him properly.

I have decided on his glass pipe. Is a screen the same thing as a gauze? my bowl is 3cm and SWIM ordered 2cm steel gauzes.

6. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I have never heard of screens referred to as gauzes, however, it kinda sounds like it serves the same purpose.

7. pokeyjo304

pokeyjo304

Reputation Points:

yeah i think its the same thing, i also heard em called mesh

8. assionyx

assionyx Newbie

Reputation Points:

but not too large! I find that to be one of the only downfalls of using pipes.

joints = burn too quickly (although SWIM loveeeees smoking them) and take a hell of a lot of weed

pipes = use w/e amount of weed you want, however, you have to light more than once so... the flipside to saving weed is lighting again and again (bad for you)

I find pipes an economical way to smoke... nothing gets thrown out, you can save the resin easily, they don't smell nearly as strongly as say, a lung would afterwards... and you can re-use again and again

9. SHPONGLE SPORES

SHPONGLE SPORES Newbie

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o

SWIM smokes the gbong allllll the time, SWIM beileves the gbong is the only way to smoke. I say one bowl will get you fucked! :)

10. azrael2600

azrael2600 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I agree smoking with a bong gets more bang for for swiy's buck.

11. AntiAimer

AntiAimer Newbie

Reputation Points:

Glass and bong with water.(Note, the water only gets out so much but still leaves enough toxins to matter. Also never use a screen if possible which shouldn't be needed with glass, but there is always glass screens if needed.)

The best way is to either eat or vaporize. Then the health factor becomes 10 to none and the high should be better.

With all the studies out, THC truely is the safest drug one could take to get high. Can even be beneficial.

Also depending how one packs there Marijuana, there should be minimale waste. Even when useing joints or blunts.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  12. bongpunk

bongpunk Guest

Reputation Points:

bongs are the way forward to get a pothead stoned my son, antthing with a bowl is good, make sure that ur weed is niiiiiiiiiiicce un dry and u have a high powered lighter like the blue flame things, with hash grate it up fine and burn it hot, the thicker the smoke the better the stone. peeeeeeeaaace

13. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

pipes in comparison to spliffs- economic smoking- pipes every time, with pipes you can completely burn your weed and get everything out of it....(lets ignore the fact the chemicals we want are actually destroyed when in direct contact with a flame, and infact only heat drawn past the bud further down the bowl/spliff is usefully in collecting the THC etc into an inhaleable vapor)

but seriously , with pipes yous bud will go further. as for which type of pipe material wise they each have advantages,
    metal ones seem to be resilient and easy to clean, and I have found models like the Amazed, agent blue, bud bomb, bud bat to get SWIM very high/stoned very quick.
    glass also easy to clean, but not as easy as metal , but also easy to break. absolutely ace for smoking hash oil from, I have one that even without adding any more oil he seems to be able to get high off with every heating
    wood, cleaning is a bitch, the wood will usually char on the bowl so cleaning doesn't really do much not much point, an occasional scraping out is as good as it gets. But I have a sherlock that he Can toke on without any smoking material in and will get him mashed, because about 3oz has been through it and the wood has absorbed allot of oil, swim also likes the sherlock, because he can lay down in bed and smoke it sitting on his chest also the outside of the bowl can be handled as it does not get very hot... try handling the bowl of a freshly smoked glass or metal one :)

well my gone full circle, its his 360th post

14. Veteran Joker

Veteran Joker Newbie

Reputation Points:

I have a proper birchwood pipe he bought when cutting out fags, but now that he gave up on tobacco, uses it to smoke a mixture of peppermint and pot. The reason for the peppermint is twofold:

1) With it, it makes the smoke a lot smoother.

2) SWIM belivies pot shouldn't be exposed to a naked flame, and only lit via embers, as naked flames would destroy THC glands upon the bud, so using the dried peppermint leaves makes for something to light, and to get more out of the pot.

SWIM also uses raspberry green tea as it's softer than the peppermint leaves and thus superior even to tobacco for rolling up spliffs, but now has a vaporiser uses that. By far the best way to get your high.

I don't reccomend consuming cannabis orally. You need more as the metabolism of it takes longer, and unlike with smoking where you quickly know how much you want, it's possible to overdose (Overdosing in regards to weed doesn't mean consuming 5 kilos in one sitting, it means however much you need to stop feeling the positive effects and to become overwhelmed with the high, which might make one pass out)

15. mr. strawberry

mr. strawberry Newbie

Reputation Points:

"water pipes" lol have always seemed to work great. hookahs are great fun to use (take the opium bowl off put a smaller one on unless your friend plans on smoking alot. with friends, in my monkeys experience, the one downfall with a hookah seems to be, the one with the strongest lungs wins so to speak.
    "j's" are good. its almost an art to me to roll a nice coneshaped J. I went to high school with a guy from the neatherlands and one day when we were low on...you know... he (he rolled his own cigarettes) put some of his tobacco in with the J and i thought it would be absolutly horribe. i mean talk about drug abuse!!! but i must admit that it WORKED GREAT. a little bit went a looong way.
    swim's first time was out of a beer can (hey it worked damnit) harsh but it did what it was intended to do (as long as the holes arent too big and you get a nice cherried peice shoot down and into your throat).

16. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

if You is going to go with a glass pipe, why add a metal screen? if You is avoiding metal and going with a glass pipe, get a glass screen .. they are called glass diamonds sometimes.

17. Frivolous248

Frivolous248 Newbie

Reputation Points:

Best kind of pipe, depends on preference but I think most would say glass, and I would agree. As for style, I've always preferred spoons, but maybe you'd rather a sherlock or chillum. Bubblers are nice if you want some water filtration but not a huge bong.

However swim swears by gravity bongs for getting the most 'bang for your buck'

18. JDreaming

JDreaming R.I.P. Gold Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:

If You is going to sustain a pot habit... i.e. buy hundreds of bucks worth of pot over the next several months... You might as well put $10-$30 down on a pipe or two. SWIM hates joints- they take a long time to make if you want to make them well, they burn the tips of your fingers when they're almost out. SWIM never smokes joints unless they're offered to him.

If You is really cheap about paraphernalia, just buy a $10 standard pipe at a head shop to have it around. A better investment would be to spend a little more on a waterpipe ($30 can get a decent glass waterpipe if you look around). SWIM smokes through a water bong whenever possible as a safety and health precaution: Smoking pot through a water chamber is equivalent to smoking cigarettes that are filtered rather than raw tobacco. You will damage your lungs much more slowly if you dish out the dough for a waterpipe. Or, You could probably make one with items from around the house in the time it would take to roll a really expert joint ;)

19. keats

keats Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Swim's surprised to see so many people vouching for pipes as a primary smoking method. Swim's owned a pipe of one kind or another (several have gotten lost/stolen/broken) but never preferred them. Still, if You plans to smoke weed regually You best get himself a real piece, and a standard glass pipe is a good way to start. If you find yourself smoking more and have a place to store it, bongs/bubblers are really all around better. But even then it's handy to keep a small pipe you can take with you. SWIM's friend gave him a plexiglass one he got off a street vendor in manhattan last year and he was surprised to find it worked well and didn't break when two people dropped it over the course of the year.

Vaporizers are a whole different story. If You gets into smoking regually a vaporizer is definately a worthwhile investment. A good vape is THE most economical way to get high, period. You waste almost no thc (and if you're smart you'll either do as another suggested and sell it, or do what I did which is make brownies with the vaped stuff) and you won't lose any vapor. I recently got a volcano and it is definately worth it, but I had avaporbrothers late year (about 180$ IIRC) and it worked very well.

In any case I would strongly discourage rolling j's, spliffs, or blunts with your own shit, especially if you're smoking alone. I will throw down for them when others are rolling, especially on blunts (which are just fun to smoke) but it's not economical at all. If you want SWIM's advice buy a decent glass pipe now (20$ minimum, honestly, it's worth it to get a decent one) and then go from there.

Edit: Also JDreaming makes a good point about lung health. I would say in terms of preserving your lungs, the order goes: blunts<spliffs<joints<pipes<bubblers<bongs<vapes. One of the biggest advantages of having a vaporizer is the lung effect. Weed feels like a whole new drug when you can get TRASHED one night and have your lungs feel like nothing happened in the morning.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  20. new-urban-dreams

new-urban-dreams Newbie

Reputation Points:

Gravity bongs are cool but , its a matter of opinion ,I like a spliff but also enjoys a bong:)