Is Cannabis addictive?

Discussion in 'Cannabis addiction' started by Zoso, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Zoso

Zoso Newbie

Reputation Points:
    58 y/o
    ))))))))))))))Greetings(((((((((((((
    I have long pondered the question is weed addictive ?
    I am now a daily (chronic) user and have been using C. as a recreational and now medicinal purposes for more than half his life.With some of my friends it is more than that.Add to that the weed we smoke now is said to be 5 times stronger than the hash we used in the 1970's and 80's.
    SWim understands that as a somewhat natural product C. will vary from batch to batch.So swims question is do you think it is addictive ?
    When we first started using one our main arguments for decriminalisation was that unlike nicotine and alcohol it was not addictive.I am not sure they could make the same argument with as much conviction now.

What so you think ?

Farewell and may the best you ever hope for be the worst you ever see.
    :smoker: >>>>>Zoso<<<<<

2. meep

meep Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: addictive ?

I am not physically addicted but always 'fancies' a smoke in the evening. I find it more of a habbit. If I am bored he will have a somke, if I am going to the pub but driving I will have a smoke. Swim avoids being bored by smoking.

3. Buddah

Buddah Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

All you had to do was a simple google search :) lol But swim allways found weed mentaly addictive. That allways "Maaaaan i NEED to smoke but i cant find any!" You can also go thru mental WDs...

"
    Marijuana addiction is characterized as compulsive, often uncontrollable marijuana craving, seeking, and use" From a drug site...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  4. CountChristoph

CountChristoph Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o

I cannot wait more than 2 days without smoking weed or he will be depressed/angry for 2 weeks or more.

5. jonny thaiwongy

jonny thaiwongy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    they say its a psychological addiction so what purpose does the weed serve? for me its to calm the mind and reflect on whatevers on my mid, to relax an shit... but that said i do get strung out to bits when its not there, but thats jus cuz i love it so much

6. Humanity

Humanity Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from estonia
    I've smoked weed estimatedly 60-70 times sometimes over intervals of a few days, a few weeks or even a month... but has never smoked out of need, rather of desire.
    Being high is just another fun thing to do, not a compulsion or a must that I can't go without... and that's typically the case afaik.
    So my vote goes for 'no'.

7. stoneinfocus

stoneinfocus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    If there´d be no more coke I would say, "oh! ok, there´ll be some more in a month or a year, doesn´t matter", but with weed, I felt like on crack and wanted more and always the feeling of the smoke in his lungs and when there was no dope, I would drive for hours and whole days, to get new dope.
    he wouldn´t give someone a blow job for this, neither for horse or coke or anything, but I think for swim smoking weed was the most addictive drug, just like tobacco, even more so, beacause tobacco was just disgusting at some point but with weedm there´s the psychedelic and fucked-up state of mind.

Swim also spent all his money on dope, but was working hard and productiveley and had "friends" and party and some real friends.
    it was a pretty good time, from this point of view, nonetheless I was mobbed for being gay, and even more-so for not knowing and being mislead and being violently distracted from himself and his sexuality by very harsdh mobbing and social violence, so maybe this may encounter for swims crack-like weed addiction, but I think, he wasn´t that much different than all the other weed smokers, per se.

You might see it as a habit, but I thibnk it´s a bit more -for swim coke and horse and coffee is a habit, he likes having it daily or now and then, but it doesn´t really matter for his normal day, getting through without it, with cannabis swim always felt like, when to get the next hit and where to buy the next piece, so I think it´s a bit more than a habit -maybe a mind-altering hobby? -hey, if the alcohol cultre can little down their addiction, we can, too.
    If I were to compare it, I think, having reefers as parents would be disgusting, but not as half as bad as a conservative, soccer-watching alcoholic. In contrast, having liberal cannabis consuments as parents would be fun.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  8. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    It won't make you ill like a heroin withdrawal or as psycho as a crackhead but ya, it's somewhat addictive, like biting your nails or picking your nose. It can be a hard habit to break.

9. iamsostrange

iamsostrange Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I think it can be habit forming for people who really enjoy the effects, but I would never label it 'addictive.'

SWIM prefers to smoke daily and when SWIM can't get any, I get bored and it's all SWIM can think about. I am a 'stoner' though. Not everyone who smokes will become one. But some people (like SWIM) prefer being stoned 24/7.

Others don't like the munchies/sleepiness that comes with smoking so much, so they do not become regular users.

The biggest "withdrawal" from weed is just being bored, maybe a loss of appetite. Nothing big though.

10. oldfart

oldfart Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM, had been ingesting for many years frequently. (At least 1 time per hour mostly due to lack of quality) many years = 17 non stop. In which time SWIM also tried and got addicted to (Cigs, Crack, Opium) Out of ALL the others Cigs still are to this day haunting SWIM. (Swim will sit with someone and I will contemplate asking for a cig.) But I do not feel this way with Crack, Opium, or the Cannibus. SWIM ALSO stopped for 7 years and was not going to go back to Can. Until the prescription medications required to LIVE were quickly eating up every dollar I could make ($7000 with no Insurace for the self employed) SWIM consulted with a physician who was Can. friendly and devised a Can. replacement program for ALL but the most vital of meds. I am quite NORMAL when using the replacement and can function in society when that was not possible while taking Vivactil, Ritilin, Ultram, and Percosets (Bad Car accident).

Is it addictive... I think some people have the disposition to become addicted to almost anything that triggers that chemical response called enjoyment. Addicted as in "Im addicted to shopping" not addicted as in Being ILL, suffering DT's.

Being grouchy can be an effect when you stop anything cold that you have been doing for a long time. Just ask a coffee drinker (caffiene junkie) before their morning hit.

AN addict is classified by being unable to function in society without the addictive thing and not having any underlying phycological or physical reasons why you ARE required to use that thing.

I>E> You can say a person who takes blood pressure medication to stay alive is addicted to the medication, however there is a medical reason that this person takes this drug every day. (some people do enjoy the rush of the lower blod pressure and DO NOT NEED THE DRUG (this is stupid and dangerous but then again so is sticking a needle in yourself to get high)

I>E>2> People take other peoples mood enhancers but they do not have depression. If this person becomes needy of the drug and can not function until they have it and can not stop taking it... ADDICT!

Mentally Addictive (Somewhat, I like the flavor of a good plant but can live without it at any time if it were not for having to go back to the expensive medications)

Physically addictive (NO, No withdrawls, no physical sicknesses)

Medically nessesary (YES replaces MANY commonly prescribed Meds but the big pharma companies don't like hearing it nor will they ever let it hurt their profits.

11. Mr. Jane

Mr. Jane Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    ''Addicted as in "Im addicted to shopping" not addicted as in Being ILL, suffering DT's.''

''Physically addictive (NO, No withdrawls, no physical sicknesses)''

for the most part I agree with swims defenition of an addict with the exeption of the 2 quotes above. I has relied on the herb so much that swim smokes 5-6 times a day. in the morning, afternoon, and night, and usually before meals. swim loves bud. the taste, smell, and above all, the feeling. unfortunately if I go 24 hours without any bud, I find it hard to eat anything, and what little is eaten makes me slightly nautious. after swim gets that wonderful thc in swims system, he can eat whatever he wants. I also have trouble sleeping if I don't smoke.
    so in that respect swim disagrees with swim on the fact that marijuana use can't lead to withdrawl symptoms, no matter how mild they may be.

12. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    It can be simplified further:

1) Psychologically Addicted: Addiction purely out of habit. Exists in mind.
    2) Physically Addicted: Addiction exists in the physical being. Believe you me, the physical being will soon let one know when It's craving something.

Cannabis has been studied by experts: It has been proven to be psychologically addictive only.

The End.

13. oldfart

oldfart Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Well there is always the argument that one does not believe in Phycological dependancies unless one is weak minded and without will power. I could and would be able to eat if not smoking, or sleep (this is debateable since I was told that even as an infant I would not sleep more than 1-2 hours and with my eyes open too ... creepy) To SWIM psycological addiction is thinking you are addicted, and you can always think the opposite and stop doing anything you think you aught not be doing. Physical addiction would tell your body that you are not in that control and you NEED to continue and if you resist your body will punish you. That is addiction.

1. 5/5,
      right on
      Mar 15, 2007
  14. frenchywife

frenchywife Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I feel that there is no right answer. The government would like SWIM to believe that weed is a gateway drug, bla bla - this is not true for everybody and SWIM firmly believe that it depends on the individual. For example, if weed is around, I will use everyday, however, if it not around, that's ok for SWIM - no harsh or negative side effect - I mean there are occassions where SWIM wishes it was there, but it's not the end of the world - but how do you explain that - is SWIM an addict, or not?

15. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    No, You is not addicted. How do you explain that? You enjoys the effects. Psychological triger behavior.

Marijuana is NOT physicaly addictive at all. Your body does not develop a physical dependancy to the drug. When you are physicaly addicted to something, your very health is literaly dependant on that drug just like it's dependant on breathing. When having physical withdrawl symtoms, you actually get sick. Not just "wanting a fix" but NEEDING it to be healthy. Rip-out-of-your-skin pains and anxiety, running nose, flu and cold symptoms.

Marijuana can be phsychologicaly anchord for behavior. For example, if You smokes weed every night before they go to sleep for a long period of time it will very likely become an anchored phychological trigger that is needed to be able to get to sleep. This is not addiction, but rather is learned triggers. Meditation, prayer, water, music, warm milk, and sex can have the same effects. If you have drink milk and sing happy birthday to yourself every single night before you go to sleep for a long period of time, the same trigger can be anchored that would form a habbit of doing that to be able to get to sleep well.... but again, it's not physical addiction, simply a learned phsychological trigger that forms a habbit.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
    1. 5/5,
      Some excellent points made here about triggers.
      Jul 13, 2012
  16. frenchywife

frenchywife Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM totally agrees with You - the one thing I would like to add or point out is that even though You a habit if formed, I believe that in this instance, there is an exception - for SWIM, if it's not there - SWIM can still function and there are no negative side effects. Of course, I would like it to be there, but if it isn't, that's ok - I guess everyone is different

17. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    :eek:

Proven? I'm intrigued. Where is this proof? I am under the impression that anything that subjective is impossible to prove.

18. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think it is psychologically addictive. But then again everything is addictive, tea/coffee, sweet foods, sex, masturbation, worrying about addictions etc.

19. machine_elf

machine_elf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    It isn't addictive an the correct sense of the word. A compulsive user wouldn't die from sudden withdrawal (as benzodiazepines, alcohol and barbiturates can cause). However, it is habit forming and causes psychological dependance, hence the amount of compulsive marijuana users about today.

20. Quintessence

Quintessence Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    1. 4/5,
      Thanks for poviding the link, but uploading it would have been of more value because links can go dead in time.
      Jul 13, 2012