1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Is ice methamphetamine made with p2p, ahydrous amonia or red phosphorus method?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine' started by soulsuckinjerk, Oct 25, 2012.

1. soulsuckinjerk

soulsuckinjerk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I have always wondered this. I remember back in the day we would have anything from clean white powder to chunky yellow stink like cat piss that you could smell a mile away. I don't have anything against ice since it started showing up 10 years ago that is all I have seen. So is it a big mystery how the mexicans make it? Is it made by the U.S goverment is top secret labs and blamed on the mexicans? What the hell is going on here?

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Ice is a slang term that could be used by anyone to describe anything. Yes, it has regularly been applied to one specific analog of meth (or something like that), but that does not mean that the product being presented to you as "ice" has anything to do with that, drug dealers lie.

And no, the US Gov't does not make meth.

3. allnighter

allnighter Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I don't think p2p is common at all anymore. I miss the old white stuff from back in the day. Now its all "glass" or "ice". Which to me just means dope that has been crystalized. The quality and cook method seems to vary greatly.

4. jmalanni

jmalanni Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Ice usually just means relatively pure meth, because pure meth in crystal form looks like ice.

All of those methods produce methamphetamine, but some (I forget which is which) produce more of the "good" isomer. There are two meth isomers (isomers are just molecules with the same chemical formula and connectivity, but with different geometries) one gets you high and the other not so much. I believe the "Birch Method" produces the highest proportion of the good isomer.

Regardless, all three methods produce methamphetamine and the purity depends on the technique of the chemist and the purity of the precursors. Often times when a batch is messed up somehow the impure end product can be further purified through various methods such as distillation and recrystallization, but some meth is lost every time you try to make it more pure so its best to get it right the first time.