Question - Is it normal to cry during a trip?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by jazzyj9, Aug 6, 2019.

1. jazzyj9

jazzyj9 Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    the past 2 trips I’ve had I cried at some point during it. I think I was releasing emotion that had been building up. But I’m wondering if this is a normal occurrence or if it meant that I took too much? It happened only for a short time.

2. nachofish

nachofish Tickling the Amygdala Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from DF
    Yeah it's perfectly normal. Built-up emotion can come out in many forms: sweating, crying, stretching, throwing up, yawning, laughing, diarrhea.

Even if it isn't emotion that has been built up, I believe it is part of a cleanse, one way or another, that is happening with these DMT-containing substances.

I should have mentioned that this is just based on my experience and the people I have taken Ayahuasca with, and Psilocybin the couple of times I tried it - that the body deals with the experience whatever way it can. For me sweating and yawning was a big one. But yeah, solely based on what I have seen.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  3. Chanoonoo

Chanoonoo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o from Virginia, USA
    Oh wow, its very releaving to finally know that someone else cried too.
    The very 1st time I tripped was the day after my Moms funeral and it let me cry out all the pain I had been holding in. I must have cried for 30 mins straight. But I was still in a good mood, not sad at all (duh).
    I got out all the bitterness, anger and pain that night, it was soooooo therapeutic. I have been asking people for 10 years now if they ever experienced anything like this only to receive confused looks. Thanks for validating me, this made my day.

4. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Substance D Addict Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I would say yes, it's normal, especially for someone with a mood disorder or trauma. Even cannabis can sometimes be overwhelming for me. If your overall experience was positive and you feel okay with that released emotion, I would try a lower dose. If you're not comfortable experiencing the crying again, I'd steer clear of psilocybin and probably psychedelics in general, as you may have an even worse experience with LSD, etc.

5. jazzyj9

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I actually had a more euphoric experience with LSD. The visuals were more intense and I laughed a lot more than with shrooms. It was very light compared to the depth of the mushroom trip.

6. Shartist

Shartist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Indiana, United States
    Absolutely. I usually shed at least a few tears while on shrooms. Often it is from intensified emotion such as joy, love, or sadness. Sometimes i cry out of pure awe of something beautiful like music or nature. Laughing so hard that I cry is very common for me. I never cried in despair. Even when I wept in sadness over the loss of a loved one it turned into joy, love, and appreciation for having them in my life.

7. S. Wymm

S. Wymm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from My house, Florida
    It's definitely not abnormal, but I can only speak for myself. Trips that push me into such an intense state of emotional lucidity are often the most profound and revelatory of my psychedelic experiences. They have prompted many different flavors of tears to be shed throughout the years. I am quite grateful for these moments. Without them, I'd probably never know pure emotion in its entirety, never know just how deep I am able to feel as a human being.

8. jazzyj9

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I think what it was is unexpressed pain and sadness that I subconsciously have held back through the years. I suspect that mushrooms bring the subconscious and unconscious thoughts and desires to light which is why it may be useful as a therapy for depression. This, however, is only my presumption, I have no scientific evidence to support this claim. If anyone else does, that would add value to this discussion.

9. S. Wymm

S. Wymm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from My house, Florida
    Im not exactly scientific evidence but I strongly support that claim. Its incredible what they can do.
    The term psychedelic is derived from the Greek words ψυχή (psyche, "mind") and δηλείν (delein, "to manifest") <-Wiki

10. Lodewijkp

Lodewijkp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    You should try isolation for a week or 2 ... maybe camping somewhere ( sober) i bet everything will surface. It did more for me than mushrooms ever did, mushrooms can also confuse or trick you. The medicinal effects of psychedelics are highly overestimated by most people and underestimated by certain institutions.

I found that processing those emotions can only really happen when you are sober and take time for it ... if you use shrooms again to process it you are basically supressing them by using a substance. Don't get me wrong it isn't easy.. lately i also have been craving psychedelics because i'm stuck emotionally... but eventually you have to go through it without any substance. it can take 2 weeks or a month, maybe more.

11. Thinking_Iris

Thinking_Iris Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from new zealand
    If you don't cry you have had too little but if you want to die maybe you have had too much :)
    Sometimes one needs to be broken to move on or tricked into a better direction