Is it ok to smoke cannabis with children?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by micro_mikey, Mar 4, 2007.

1. micro_mikey

micro_mikey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    In your opinion is it ok for parents to smoke cannabis with there children? I think it is, I was just wondering people's views on this.

2. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    Re: Is it ok?

Pending on what you mean by "with". DO you mean while their kids are in the room? Or of an age where they can make their own choices?

I believe it pends on age. Yes if they are over 16. No if under.

3. AntiAimer

AntiAimer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: Is it ok?

If more parents either smoked with them or aloud them to smoke, so much trouble would be bypassed. As for smokeing with there children, Smurf thinks it's like any other drug they could be takeing together. Whether it be boozes, pills,etc.....Yes and no.

Age means nothing in Smurfs eyes, it's all about the person and whether there mentally ready or not(If you could ever be ready...). As long as both partys have the information they need to really know what the substance is and does. Then Smurf sees no problem, as long as they can make there own decisions and actually think before they do.

Instead of parents just saying no, maybe they could provide the education they need to there children...so when the time comes if ever, they know somewhat what there getting themselves into. Instead of misguideing, lieing and brainwashing.

4. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    locally, people remove all traces of kids and/or children from their weed, along with seeds and stems. the preference is to mix weed w/tobacco as children dont burn evenly and tend to leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

1. 5/5,
      funny and too the point.
      Mar 15, 2007
  5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I think you're thinking of seeds, Nano. Children are in the post-seed stage. I would recommend removing the seeds, though. It makes the grass sticky and hard to light.

6. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I dont think it is something odd. I am lucky enough to have parents who dont see pot as a big deal and can smoke freely around them. I believe that if children come to their parents with questions regarding drugs, then as a parent you are required to tell the truth to your children so they can make a decision for themselves.

7. VitaminK22

VitaminK22 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.K.
    ye it would b cool if I could smoke around his parents but his parents no fuck all about drugs cos wen they were kids all they were taught is that drugs r bad, ppl didnt let them make their own decisions. if swims parents found out they would probly just beat the shit outta him then throw him outta the house (well atleast that wot his dad would do)

8. iamsostrange

iamsostrange Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I think it is kind of weird, but thinks it is no different than having a glass of wine with your kid at Thanksgiving. I think parents should encourage their children to not use anything until they are adults & have their own home though. I think kids need to be kids when they're kids, that way they have something to look forward to when they are adults.

It's no secret that both SWIM's parents & SWIM are smokers, but never together. I am an adult, but just doesn't see the appeal of smokin' with the parents... too weird. :cool:

Johnny Depp actually said he would buy his children marijuana if they were ever curious about drugs.

9. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I would not smoke around kids at all and would also not let them know of usage. However, if they asked or started on their own, I would not discourage it either. I think it is important that children and adults make their own decisions about drugs, and smoking around them or introducing them to it would be influencing them. Having said that, I started to smoke pot at the age of 11yrs and turned out okay in the end - well, on the surface, anyways ...

10. oldfart

oldfart Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Well... I entered this post bound and determined to speak my mind about drugs and kids and NO. However, after reading the other posts here, I have changed my view. 16 is a good age to begin allowing your child to smoke pot or smoke with them... I believe 10 years old is the proper time to begin educating your children about drugs. Although I do not consider Cannibis a drug. I wonder if People started rubbing Aloe on them cause it got them high would they classify that as a drug 2

11. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    16? ^^ really?

Swia would not smoke with anyone under the age of 20 at least mainly because peoples minds are still developing under that and some people beyond that age. What with all the information that says that people who smoke younger are more prone to developing problems later on. Why put them at risk? Swia cannot say that she started at that age she was younger when she tried. The other thing as well is to deal with people who freak out get panic stricken which could prove difficult for someone younger swia has seen that before and was more difficult to work with comparing to someone who was older. Depends on people in swia opinion Set and Setting in a big way.

12. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  13. x cynic x

x cynic x Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Agreeing with that.

14. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I do not think it's a good idea, at all, to smoke around young children..1, because they don't need to inhale my smoke; 2, because kids have BIG MOUTHS! HUGE FAT BLABBERING MOUTHS! SWIM's parents kept their weed-smoking and stuff like that as secret as possible from SWIM and her siblings..however they snooped, found things, and ended up telling lots of their little friends, even before they knew exactly what it was they had found.

When kids are older, and can have their own opinions about drugs and whatever, then I say parents can smoke with them if they all want to. SWIM's parents have only recently started opening up and smoking with her and her sister (their brother doesn't smoke, but he knows about the rest of the family and doesn't really give a damn).

So basically - keep it between the mature ones in the family.

15. ProtectedByTheGods

ProtectedByTheGods Newbie

Reputation Points:
    In SWIMHO, it's a good idea to smoke toghether with your kids once they
    become interested in drugs and are of a certain, responsible age with varies
    alot from child to child (somewhere 12-20 ?).

It would certainly be a better choice than to have them try it first from some
    dealer "friend" at school who ripped them off with material of questionable quality.
    I say children from folks who are educated about the use and effects and dangers
    (yes there are some) of MJ and who openly talk to their kids about it, are much less
    likely to end up being addicted to any drug, than those kids whose parents just tell
    them: "Stay away from it son/daughter, or by God I'll smack/ground/kill you!!"

Pity not many families can have such openess in between generations.

As for smoking around small children, especially babies, i'd say a big NO!!
    Wether it be weed or just tobacco or whatever, the (even secondhand)
    smoke CANNOT be good for them little developing beings.:mad:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  16. pickledsheep

pickledsheep Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    If you mean actually sharing the smoke with children, it definately should be there own decision, at an age they are able to understand the risk, and not pose danger to there development.
    However if you mean smoking grass while raising children, it is no problem. Always be open, you wouldn't refrain from having a beer with dinner in front of your child would you? (unless you don't drink alcohol)

17. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    How far would You go to keep them oblivious of his usage though? Would he lie if they were catching on?

I feel he would keep very discreet about it, and probably wouldn't have trouble as he naturally is inconspicuous with these things and doesn't get caught. However, if he were confronted about it he wouldn't hold back the truth.

I wouldn't feel right smoking cannabis with kids. Probably not until they turned 18. They could probably smoke while younger, but looking back, I feel that its hard to have the maturity and self-balance to be able to really understand how to control and handle cannabis use and see it from the right perspective. I wouldn't prohibit use if the person was over 16, but he would try to urge some level of restraint.

Swim himself started at a fairly young age, but wished he had just waited. He was impatient and wanting to try all sorts of new things at that age. He probably wouldn't be here now if he hadn't (though maybe in the future), but he would have been alot smarter about his early drug use if he had been more mature and experienced in life when he started researching to satisfy his overwhelming curiosity.

Regardless of your ability to influence a younger person using cannabis or other substances, just hearing the voice of experience and reason expressed can be beneficial. So it would be good to make it heard to those who can benefit, even if they dont want to hear it.

18. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Turn the question around. Is it ok for children to offer their parents weed, if they know their parents indulge ?

19. ProtectedByTheGods

ProtectedByTheGods Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well, I guess in that case, it should be the parents offering, simply because
    they have more economical power.
    Unless of course the kid has a better quality source. :D

20. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Bongo used to pick up grass for his girlfriends' mother. The mother would get Bongo LSD from her connections with the Grateful Dead. That was back in the mid-1970's when no one really cared about pot or ??? anymore. It wasn't uncommon to go to a friend's house and find their mom sawing up a brick of grass for selling. Then Ronald Reagan was elected president. Bongo shot his TV set with a rifle. And all hell broke loose.