Health - Is it Possible to be Allergic to Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by allend420, Jun 28, 2006.

1. allend420

allend420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    A couple times now I ate some mushrooms. Everytime I ate them they would start to kick in and My muscels would start to clentch and he would start dry heaving. The last time I ate them it was even worse than the last times we had almost lost SWIM. He had only ate an half 8/th. Is it possible to be alergic to mushrooms he even throws up after eating regular mushrooms to.

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    What kind of mushrooms? You might as well ask if it is possible to be alergic to plants.

3. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Its possible to be allergic to mushrooms just like anything else you'd ingest
    as "food". Mushroom allergies usually stay within the same genus, i.e.
    agrocybe, tricholoma, hygrocybe, etc., but that doesn't mean that there
    aren't exceptions. True allergies aren't anything to fuck around with, so
    it may be a good idea for You to see an allergist or something (for the
    food mushrooms, hehe :crazy). Definitely don't eat anymore, since it sounds like
    the symptoms get progressively worse.

4. trip.more

trip.more Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Sounds to swim that's just the way your body reacts to them.I have seen people have allergic reactions and usually their face get very red, puffy and itchy.Some even complained about problems breathing.

I've heard of a test You can preform.Scratch your skin and rub a mushroom on it if your skin has a bad reaction you are allergic.

5. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    J would strongly suggest NOT trying to self diagnose by performing trip.more's suggestion.

It could go something like this:

"Oh, I appear to be having an anaphylactic reaction... Does anyone have any adrenaline... THUD!"

6. mouthwater

mouthwater Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Allergic Reaction to Mushrooms?

Recently, I have been eating mushrooms which cause, what s/he believes to be, allergic reactions. His/her sinus acts up, nose gets really stuffy, coughs up phlegm, ears pop, et cetera. It's uncomfortable, and may be related to undiagnosed allergies in the area s/he lives.

I have noticed that his/her hair itches him/her, and that his/her legs often itch. SWIM attributes this to histamine release. SWIM looked on the internet to see if psiloc(yb)in actives histamine release in itself, or if this is a symptom due to SWIM's body. I takes 50 mg of diphenhydramine to help alleviate the symptoms, but it's not very effective, and I amn't interested in taking much more diphenhydramine because it makes him/her drowsy.

So, does psiloc(yb)in stimulate histamine release? Also, I have had mushrooms in past years from different parts of the country, and SWIM can't particularly remember them causing these effects. Are SWIM's symptoms common? It's unfortunate because while SWIM's mind thoroughly enjoys the psiloc(yb)in experience, his/her body entirely rejects them. S/he often has gastrointestinal discomfort and untidy bowel movements a few hours after dosing.

Furthermore, if I am interested in growing mushrooms in the phuture, is there a way s/he can determine which mushrooms s/he isn't allergic to, if that is the case? Are there any mushrooms which people tend to be more allergic to? I do not know what variety of mushrooms he's been eating recently. Is it common to be allergic to vermiculite?

I would just like to better understand the uncomfortable reaction his/her body has to these recent mushrooms. Please help. Thanks.

7. Jatelka

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Allergic reactions... common?

In sensitive individuals ANYTHING can cause histamine release, so yes a reponse of this sort to psilocybin can occur. Erowid estimates a couple of percent of people react this way

SWIJ gave up on mushrooms due to a constant runny nose. And the gastric distress, she had forgotten about that!

Other than trial and error SWIJ can't think of a way to tell whether the flamingo would be sensitive to other strains of mushroom.

Trial and error is not recommended in the context of allergies (or mushrooms;) )

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  8. mouthwater

mouthwater Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I have read that psilocybin is soluble in both ethanol and water. I would like to attempt mushroom tea, or a mushroom alcohol drink, as a method of ingestion. I will do this to avoid ingesting copious amounts of dry mushrooms, and instead only the psiloc(yb)in. I will report back in this thread whenever he gets around to determining whether one, or both, of these methods alleviate allergy symptoms.

Does You recommend I use water or ethanol during this process?

9. mouthwater

mouthwater Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Earlier today, SWIM made "mushroom tea."

SWIM, and you, took 1/8th of an ounce of psilocybin-containing mushrooms each and, after removing the staple of a teabag and emptying it's contents, inserted them into the teabag. After stapling the psilocybin mushroom containing teabags shut, SWIM boiled water.

Once boiling, SWIM removed said water from stove to let it cool down for a bit. SWIM and You seeped their teabags in the warm water for 10 minutes, squeezed the juice from half of lemon into each of their cups, and drank.

They repeated this process once more, however, this time, afterwards, they wrapped their teabags in a paper towel and squeezed them to ensure that most of the psilocybin-containing water was in their brew, and not in the teabag.

They drank.

SWIM noticed significantly less symptoms than that of what was reported earlier in this thread. His/her teabag broke at one point, and s/he ended up drinking a wee bit of mushrooms, which likely attributed to minor nasal/ear-popping issues. I am glad to report that his symptoms were severly decreased upon the use of tea.

SWIM likely attributes his allergy symptoms to whatever species he has been eating, but s/he cannot know for sure.

SWIM hopes this thread can help others who are in a similar circumstance. SWIM also hopes this post can serve as a reminder to many of the power of the comma. The rules of grammar are precious, please don't break them.

Much thanks to Jatelka for the response.

10. Flimmar

Flimmar Newbie

Reputation Points:

SWIM always has his eyes watering, sometimes even teardrops will drop, but this is normally from laughing too hard ;)

His nose very difficult to breath through. It's not down at the nostrils the problem is, rather way higher up in the nose - around 1/4 inch down from the eyes - around that point of the nose. It's not really annoying, in the beginning he found it rather weird, but now he uses it as an indicator of when the mushrooms are starting to work their magic.

Now, he doesn't really think it's an allergic reaction, but simply just the way the mushrooms work - he's on several occasions thought, that it was due to the mushroom growing in his body ;)

Anyway, it's a nice thread, and sure as hell very useful! :)

11. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Swia found when she comes up on mushrooms her eyes do water, she does not have any nausea or other discomfort thou. other then psychological effects.

But then she fasts before she eats them. she was amazed with her partner who used to gulp down hundreds of grams fresh ages ago he had no nausea but swia suspect he was used to doing it. which she don't recommend.

12. mouthwater

mouthwater Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I amn't sure if his/her effects are due to allergies or if they are simply characteristic of the strain s/he has been using. SWIM, as stated earlier, has had mushrooms in past years from past places which did not cause these effects.

Nonetheless, making mushroom tea from this strain proved most effective at eliminating these very uncomfortable effects, and I recommend others try mushroom tea if they are experiencing similar symptoms.

13. Nargyle

Nargyle Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from peru
    Allergic to shrooms???

Dakini's friend, lets call her Tara, ate some shrooms that Dakini grew, they were Thai strain, and she said she got an allergy from them, she got a rash and she also got a bit swollen. After a while she received her allergy medication and things got better. But is it actually possible to be allergic to shrooms??? None of Dakini's other friends who ate from the same batch had any problems. Any ideas?

Thanks.

14. Nodnarb

Nodnarb Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    Re: Allergic to shrooms???

I've never heard of someone being allergic to psilocybin-containing mushrooms before, but it certainly is possible. An allergy is basically just your body's overreaction to some external agent--mushrooms certainly fall in that camp. It's even possible to develop an allergy over the course of time, so even if she'd had them in the past, she might not have had a reaction the first time.

It's also possible that it wasn't the mushrooms itself, but rather something on them like house mold.

Either way, that's interesting.

15. Jatelka

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  16. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

Mushroom allergies are actually quite common. I imagine this allergy goes across the board, from edible button mushrooms to psychedelic mushrooms.

17. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

I can't stand the taste of any edible mushroom (I've tried them all.) They also give me stomach cramps for some reason. I've come to think of this as some sort of allergic reaction.

I had a girlfriend who was allergic to whatever those iPod ear things are made of. She just broke out where they touched her ear. My mom is allergic to Strawberries. I can't eat shellfish or I turn red and puff up. etc etc. :)

18. avyste

avyste Newbie

Reputation Points:
    possible allergic reaction?

howdy. I have used mushrooms a handful of times, however, My lady has not. SWIML has only used cannabis, diphenhydramine to a certain extent, and alcohol. She also has allergies to several things, namely:

- penicillin
    - mold/pollen/dust
    - peanuts/nuts/treenuts

in regards to a allergic reaction to mushrooms (or any other substance one would know of would help as well) would it be possible for it to happen?

19. brown05051991

brown05051991 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: possible allergic reaction?

swim doubts swiyl would be allergic to psilocybin, but swiyl could have more of a chance of being allergic to the actual mushrooms that contain it, maybe swiyl should try a low dose and see how it goes, has swiyl ever eaten normal edible mushrooms?,if so then she should have a low chance of being allergic.

20. avyste

avyste Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: possible allergic reaction?

yes swimL has eaten normal mushrooms.