1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Is it possible to cook shrooms

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by b-boy5826, Nov 6, 2017.

1. b-boy5826

b-boy5826 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    How would one go about cooking fresh shrooms? Can i fry them? if so at what temperature? I love shrooms but my stomach can never avoid nausea even if its tea I figure cooked fresh would be so much easier to digest. Has anyone ever tried this I've found a few threads but nothing specific enough

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    No, cooking heat will destroy the psliocybin. I'd powder them and add the powder to a sauce/soup and let it absorb for a few minutes.

You could also capsule the powder and take those with food.

3. Cid Lysergic

Cid Lysergic Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from Calgary, Alberta
    You can boil them into a tea. However, if you suddenly see a big cloud of smoke/steam suddenly go off, you've gone too high a temperature & the mushrooms are no longer valid.

4. rxbandit

rxbandit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    "Psilocybin and psilocin are sensitive to oxidation, with psilocin being particularly sensitive. This process is accelerated at higher temperatures. There is no specific temperature at which this breakdown occurs, however, the longer you expose the psiloc(yb)in to a raised temperature (in the presence of oxygen or an oxidizer), the more will be degraded.”

Psilocybin contained within the organic mushroom matter will not be exposed to much oxygen as they are encapsulated in the cellular matrix of the mushrooms.

There will be some loss in potency if cooked. Primarily psilocin will degrade.

Further:

Psilocybin:
    MELTING POINT 220-228° C (Crystals from boiling water)
    MELTING POINT 185-195° C (Crystals from methanol)

Psilocin:
    MELTING POINT 173-176° C (plates from methanol)

It is unlikely oxidation will occur rapidly below the melting point of these compounds.

In my experience you can sauté mushrooms and put them on a burger or some equivalent without noticeable loss to potency. If you wanted to be safe you could simply increase your dosage to accommodate for any possible degradation.

Here is a brief guide to cooking with shrooms: https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/d75exy/magic-shrooms-deserve-to-be-elevated-into-quiches

If you want to be safe you could just eat them fresh. They taste rather nice.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  5. Cid Lysergic

Reputation Points:
    No no no! Don't guesstimate by adding more of a drug to compensate for what is unmeasurable. Take the regular dose, then later in the trip, take more, if needed.

6. rxbandit

rxbandit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You’re right, in practice titrating up a dose is best practice. What I meant to convey was worst case scenario you can always take more.

7. Ubiquitous Assimilation

Ubiquitous Assimilation Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from Indiana, United States
    Go with the fresh, eat lite, in a salad or something like that and lay down. Laying down will help any nausea not feel too extreme, and after the come up the nausea usually subsides.

Also some cannabis is great for nausea if you are a smoker.
    Personally I enjoy a little tobacco on any come up.

If you make a tea boil water and yea bags and then remove from heat after cooling until warm add shrooms to warm tea not hot.

You don't need heat, a shroom lemonade I would suggest would be a better drink method.

8. Lodewijkp

Lodewijkp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I boiled most of my mushrooms to kill any pathogens. Believe me there are shitloads or pathogens on mushrooms and i gotten sick once or twice ( hardcore nuclear shits etc ).

I would eat truffles fresh but not mushrooms grown in bags or boxes.

Just add your mushrooms to water at 100 C and leave them in for 30 seconds, it's enough to kill most pathogens without compromising quality.

9. b-boy5826

b-boy5826 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm going to try to saute them when I get a fresh batch and see how it goes thanks for all the replies ill keep you guys posted

10. Rhi

Rhi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o from Wales, United Kingdom
    Dry them out, chew then into a ball and swallow once mushy.
    They don't lose potency when dried... Well I suppose they would of you left them for ages before consumption.
    Never tried raw, nor have I never wanted to.
    Never bored either incase I fucked it up and ruined them and tbh I'm quite happy munching on dried ones... Well until they get stuck in your teeth. Not pleasent.

11. Cid Lysergic

Reputation Points:
    Oxidization, heat, & exposure to light are the main killers behind potency.

12. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from Slovakia
    Heat will definitely make fresh mushrooms inactive. With dried ones the process takes much longer.

For me what really helps against any nausea is eating a lunch 2 hours or so before I take them. If that doesn't work for you, just make a tea.

13. Cid Lysergic

Reputation Points:
    Also, for nausea, I myself take either Gravol (Dimenhydrinate) or Natural Gravol (Ginger root extract). Both are very effective in preventing vomitting.

14. b-boy5826

b-boy5826 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Okay so I sauteed them on low
    Despite what you guys said about it degrading I now know this to be false. At least completely degrading idk if any potency was lost but sure didn't feel like it. I'm not sure how much I ate bc i didn't have a scale. I went with my gut and just got five caps and their stems fresh, I figured this would be enough to experiment.

For the first time ever I was able to truly enjoy a mushroom trip. My body digested them like it would any other food and my trip was amazing. No nausea at all... Like at all. I smoked throughout the trip so I'm sure that helped too. As for taste ehh they tasted like regular mushrooms with garlic on them not bad, completely edible

Sooo yes, you can cook shrooms

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017