Question - Is it true that undried p. cubensis mushrooms are mildly poisonous?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by SillycybinTrip, Aug 8, 2017.

  1. SillycybinTrip

    SillycybinTrip Silver Member

    Reputation Points:
    20
    Messages:
    8
    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2017
    22 y/o from Georgia, United States
    While talking to a friend about my experience with some p. cubensis mushrooms (undried) I found shroom-hunting at a local farm, said friend told me that undried magic mushrooms were unhealthy to consume, because they contained toxins. I was and still am pretty skeptical of this as the only thing I though was being removed in the drying process was water, and if toxic substances could be removed in the drying process, why wouldn't the psychoactive ones be removed as well?
     
  2. Alfa

    Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

    Reputation Points:
    14,268
    Messages:
    38,255
    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2003
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
  3. SillycybinTrip

    SillycybinTrip Silver Member

    Reputation Points:
    20
    Messages:
    8
    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2017
    22 y/o from Georgia, United States
    @Alfa that was what I thought, I have no idea where he got the idea from. Thanks for the help!
     
  4. Adas

    Adas Silver Member

    Reputation Points:
    635
    Messages:
    1,932
    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2013
    23 y/o from Slovakia
    He probably got that idea from Amanita muscaria. This contains the toxin Ibotenic acid, which detoxifies by drying. Amanita, however, has NOTHING to do with Psilocybin mushrooms.

    Don't worry, people eat fresh P. cubensis all the time!