1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - Is papaver somniferum legal in USA?

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by InfectedWithDrugs, Jan 3, 2011.

1. InfectedWithDrugs

InfectedWithDrugs Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I found info that pods are legal even when coming from papaver somniferum but if the intent is to ingest then it becomes illegal. Just having them is supposedly not... What is the truth?

InfectedWithDrugs added 2 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Also, what could one expect from poppy pods tea? What would it be worth in terms of hydro/oxy pills?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Don't ask why, but when I saw this queston, I thought "why I don't know, I best use some sort of search engine to find out!" And I did, and the DF search engine as usual, failed to deliver, so I went to google and LO AND BEHOLD EROWID shows up first on the responses. And Erowid spoke the following words:
    WOW that was so difficult I don't think I could answer any more questions today, I must rest. But before I go, how bout YOU do some reading and learn about your second question on your own. The internet is incredible unless you are too lazy to use it properly, then it is just embarrassing to your self and others.

3. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Not only that, Potter, but the very page someone would have to go to in order to post this question ( the Opium & Poppy Forum ) has threads listed in it relating to law; one, labeled "Law: Why are poppy pods available in Arizona & Washington?" is within the top 10 threads listed on the page; a quick perusal of said post would uncover information on legality & links for further reading. ;) Even better, there's a post further down (but still on page 1!) called Getting Busted For Possession of Poppy Straw, which I bet also has a lot of information in it!

Enough being a smartass on my part. One really needs to do at least basic research on their own, then ask questions if they can't find the answer/don't understand the answer. Posting "my friends say XYZ" is NOT "proper research". Also, never listen to what your friends say in regards to law & order, especially when your freedom is potentially on the line! Can't even trust an internet forum to give you the "right" information, unless they back it up with links/cites to the appropriate sections of law.

To answer the questions:

No, opium poppies (Papaver Somniferum) are not legal in the USA in ANY FORMAT. Growing them is ILLEGAL (unless you have a special DEA license & you're growing them to supply poppy seeds for food or opium for the medical industry - neither of which really goes on in the USA anyhow). The *ONLY* legal part is the seeds, and that's only for food. Ornamental dried pods "for flower arranging" is ILLEGAL. The poppies your grandmother grows out back just because they are pretty? ILLEGAL.

That said, do people grow them & not get in trouble? Of course. Do people use them in dried flower arrangements & not get in trouble? Of course. Do people smoke pot on a regular basis & not get in trouble? Of course. Does this make it any more legal? Nope.

We've recently been having some discussions on the legality of poppy flowers/pods that contain opium alkaloids but AREN'T Papaver Somniferum (yes, they exist!). You may want to check them out, because they also discuss the law, link to the laws & try to figure out what exactly is lawful & what the risks are. It's still all speculation, though.

Is Poppy Seed Tea A Joke? (scroll down; the legal discussion stuff is towards the end of the thread)

Growing Papaver Somniferum Indoors (this is from the subForum under this one, called Poppy Growing)

Law: Why are poppy pods available in Arizona and Washington?

In regards to the last question, no one can really answer that. If someone enjoys oxycodone and/or hydrocodone, they will probably enjoy most other opiates as well, including opium, which is what one is getting from poppy pods (it's making an opium & water infusion - ie., tea). This is an area where one would just have to do more research in this forum (specifically, Opium & Poppy Forum that you're currently in) reading experience reports (especially ones comparing opium to other opiates) and making an informed decision from there. *shrug*

All the best, and good luck!!

~Kailey

4. Mick Mouse

Mick Mouse Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    54 y/o from Cayo Loco
    Although DEA has re-affirmed that Afganistan is not a legal source for poppy products, a friend who I haven't met yet claims that 85% of all poppy seed used for cooking purposes and found in all grocery stores comes from Afgani sources. This is a second-hand source and I cannot confirm, though. Maybe a non-Somniferum variety?

5. timster7

timster7 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am slightly bothered that some members can't take the time to Google basic information. BTW, youou's friend happens to be wrong. Most seeds are imported from Tasmanian and other nations legal poppy production as a by-product.