Is salvia alcohol soluble?

Discussion in 'Salvia divinorum' started by gib, Apr 26, 2007.

1. gib

gib Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from Canada
    I have got a bit of 20x salvia left and he's already experienced smoking it. He's wondering if he could get a more prolonged high if he mixes it in with a drink. Is it alcohol soluble? Would it be nearly as intense?

2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    yes it would last longer but youd have to make a tincture,submerge your salvia in 5-7 times the amount of ethanol to cover it heat it up close to boiling with 1 min filter thru a Coffey filter then evap like 50% of the alcohol and keep on/under your tongue for 20mins it lasts a lot longer but has been known to taste really bad/cause discomfort in the mouth!use the search engine and you will find info on others experiences

3. Salvinorin A

Salvinorin A Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well, according to here....

http://ethnobotany.yage.net/salviax.html

1.28 mg of Salvinorin A is soluble in ethyl alcohol. A gram of 20X (assuming that You is using the average Sal-A content of leaves) has around 50mg of Salvinorin A (2.5 * 20 = 50). So that would mean to dissolve all of you's Salvinorin in the extract You would need at least 39ml of ethyl alcohol (99% that is). But just to be safe I would use around 50ml of ethyl alcohol (If You does not have it, 191 Everclear is probably the next best thing, and much easier to obtain depending on where You lives).

So the procedure would go as follows...

1. Take a gram of 20X extract (If You has less adjust measurements accordingly) and place it into a container (glass preferably) with 50ml of 191 everclear.

2. Shake that around vigorously and let sit for a while (as long as You wants, hours, days, but around 30 min would already be enough).

3. Strain the leaf extract part out and keep the alcohol.

4. Let that sit for at least 24 hours. At the bottom of the container You will see sediments that settled to the bottom, try to pour off the alcohol and leave the sediment behind.

5. That's about it, you's own salvia tincture.

Now this would be why I don't recommend it. Depending on the person, You would need probably 2 dropper fulls (2 ml) of the alcohol and You would have to hold it under you's tongue for at least 30min, which can burn for a while. The trip is also much much more mild than that of smoking. However, it is still an interesting experiment and some people enjoy longer, gentler experiences (that still can be interesting, CEV's are reported).

As for fnord's post. Heating up the alcohol will increase the solubility of salvinorin into alcohol, so ultimately one would be able to use less, this is a good strategy if one is low on alcohol. But if You is talking one gram of 20X (I assume not many grams, it's expensive, and one would rather do a leaf extract), then 50ml of alcohol really isn't that much (about 1 shot of liquor).

Good luck!

4. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    yup but I would then evap the alchohol down to a more manageble amount after the extract was done,something You could hold in his/her mouth for 15-25 mins without suffering the wrath of the alcohol taste.or even further extract it down to some fun crystals that I could then put on blotter paper or if I has the right scale just eat.

5. Salvinorin A

Salvinorin A Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeap, an even better idea.

SWIM wishes he could experiment more with sublingual extracts. I am a hardhead, no sublingual methods have ever gotten close to giving effects.

However, SWIM, after making infused papers, will definitely try to make crystals and put them on rice (sugar/starch whatever it's called) paper, and let people test the results. That would definitely erase the possibility of nasty taste.

Did You say that You eats (swallows) the crystals??? Cool. Does that actually work? SWIM figures just putting the crystals under the tongue would be way way more effective.

6. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    oops!!! yes eating them would be silly,swim meant sublingual.

7. Salvinorin A

Salvinorin A Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    HAHA, I see.

Now what's interesting to me, as someone brought up on the xxx forums...

This extraction technique has a very interesting segment..

"If at all possible use 190 proof alcohol to dissolve the dark colored waxy extract because higher proof alcohol will make it tincture more effective. Also, the dark chlorophylls from the extraction will make the tincture far more effective than without it, because the wax both increases the amount of Salvinorin that alcohol can hold and also increases sublingual absorption of Salvinorin."

It states that the dark impurities are better for sublingual absorbtion?? Hoowhat??? It was always SWIM's impression that the less impurities in the solution, the easier it would be for Salvinorin-A to cross the membrane.

Has You ever tried this? the differnece between a clean and impure sublingual absorbtion? Because it is definitely peculiar.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  8. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    that dosent sound right to swim either,regardless of this,I would make his extract a clean as possible,but thats just going withhis gut maybe there is truth behind this?I will start a new thread to look for info.