1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Other - Is smoking damiana anything like smoking weed?

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Stoner450, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Stoner450

Stoner450 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o Male from U.K.
    Hi, I have recently been told about damiana and my mate says its a bit like smoking weed. I was wondering if anyone who has tried it before could tell me what its like and if it is in fact a alternative to weed?

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    no, it isn't anywhere near as good as smoking good weed, though it is interesting and worth doing while wandering around the woods or soemthing, not so much for playing video-games. A colleague of mine used to refer to Damiana as a "Third-Eye lubricant"

3. psychedelaholic

psychedelaholic Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from england
    I've tried smoking it quite a few times and never really felt much at all, maybe a slight feeling of relaxation but nothing that tangible. Is good as a mixer with weed instead of tobacco or as a base to apply synthetic cannabinoids to but that's it in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  4. FreeBliss

FreeBliss Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    Maybe your friend is smoking that "herbal incense" Which says damania on the label but is laced with a synthetic cannabinoid. Its not the damania that feels like weed its the cannabinoid its laced with.

5. Dr. X

Dr. X Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    so is it a more psychedelic experience than weed?

6. Potter

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    No, it's not at all comparable, hardly quantifiable, subtle, most people would be disappointed. Worth trying, makes a good mixer for weed, and it's cheap, so no big deal.

I've heard rumors that there's people who bake damiana brownies that are NOT to be trifled with, I think large oral dosing might be worth exploring.

7. Killa Weigha

Killa Weigha

Reputation Points:
    Male from mexico
    No, but smoking weed is EXACTLY like smoking weed. If you want to do something that is like smoking weed, smoke weed. That's why they do not call it weed and call it Damiana. Do research before you ask questions. Nothing except weed is like smoking weed no matter what anyone tells you. How could anyone think anything else could capture the 100's of different substances present in weed? Again, no. If you're getting piss tested you have to wait until it's over before you get a weed high. End of. Don't listen to anyone''s BS. Word would spread like wildfire if it were so. It hasn't, it isn't. Good luck.

8. Lethargy

Lethargy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    Ours and our various friends' experiences with damiana (tea, herbal smoking blends) compared with how our friends describe cannabis lead us to believe the two not at all alike.

Damiana seems (summarizing from several people here) to have a gentle calming feeling of acceptance/receptivity. Very subtle. Cannabis rarely has such subtle effects except in low doses.

FWIW, a good friend of ours mixes 50/50 an herbal smoking blend (mostly damiana, with other assorted herbs) with cannabis and says it helps her stretch her "stash".

9. nobbieq

nobbieq Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    Not at all the same. As people have said here, it's very subtle. It can be a good mixer for weed instead of tobacco but one thing ppl haven't mentioned here is that damiana tastes like shit so I don't even think the subtle high is worth it

10. rawbeer

rawbeer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    No, but smoking weed is EXACTLY like smoking weed

I love this quote. Too many people bash drugs for not being similar in feeling or intensity to weed. People claim kava is placebo! Placebo doesn't make me fall over, I can assure you. Or people try to smoke kava, or kratom, and bitch when it doesn't get them high.

Damiana tastes very nice to smoke. Beyond that it does very little. I once made a tincture of damaina that smelled nice but didn't taste very good or do much. It did have an interesting muddy louche. It can be used as a flavoring in liquors with success, however, like that Mexican stuff I can't recall the name of.

Damiana brownies sounds interesting. Hmmm....

11. Potter

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I take back my previous statements, I seem to have had nothing but exceptionally poor quality damiana for many years.

I was going somewhere with this but am frankly stoned like a disobedient child.*

I used to use this stuff all the time, it was tasty, but never more then a blending agent, or something to put in a pipe to pass some time.

Been years since I sat down with a bowl of this stuff. I got some for an experiemnt with brownies for a party tomorrow and today I was thinking "It does smell awful nice" so I figured I should take a toke.

Real heady buzz, relaxing, giggly, euphoric, like a decent quality pot (from what I am led to understand). Not that there is much justification for these effects, the stuff's chemistry isn't exactly screaming "Smoke Me!" But fuck if I knew where my keys are right now, or what these wiggly things attached to my hand are.

And no, this isn't incense, or in any way contaminated with real drugs, it was bought from a public herb shop of good repute and the price was what one would expect of a normal cooking spice.

I don't know what to tell ya'll, cause I don't really believe what I'm typing either.

*Deuteronomy 21:18-21

12. alienesseINspace

alienesseINspace Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from Texas, U.S.A.
    How much did you smoke? How fast? What did you smoke it out of? I am unable to smoke marijuana in this state, so I am just wondering what legal options I have. Nothing is like smoking weed aside from smoking weed... nothing is like being on probation like being on probation either :mad: lols

I really dislike alcohol and miss the tactility of pot culture.

13. Wayne Brady

Wayne Brady Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    @Potter Maybe some "super-strain" that has a very high whatever-is-in-damiana content?

Swim uses it for JWH infusion and has tried smoking just the damiana from a few different places. He has never really gotten anything from it. It is a nice smoke though in his opinion. SWIM isn't real big on tobacco.

@Killa Weigha
    The name of the thread is "Is smoking damiana anything like smoking weed?" Anything being the key word to my point. I'm not trying to be rude in any way at all. You are absolutely right in saying that nothing is exactly like smoking weed. My point is SWIM tells me it is also true that smoking one strain of weed is never exactly like smoking another. In fact it can apparently be very different. He would even go so far as to say that some of the new indole alkaloids, especially blended in just the right proportions, come very close (JWH-210 and JWH-081 are his favorites.) Admittedly, it's been awhile since he has gotten to indulge in real MJ. However, many of his friends that have tried the blends, that do smoke herb, say that he has gotten very close. Again, no disrespect at all, I know what you are saying. Maybe SWIM is just disgruntled he can't smoke and it has rubbed off on me haha

Sorry for hi-jacking Stoner450

Brownies do sound nice guys, especially if one had the same connection as Potter haha.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  14. borges1120

borges1120 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    25 y/o Male from portugal
    Hi there.
    I'm thinking about buy some damiana from an online source.. Do you recommend? Or do you think it is waste of money? I dont believe that i will stay really high, but does it taste good? Do you feel anything? I only smoke hash. Weed is very rare..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  15. Mick Mouse

Mick Mouse Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    54 y/o Male from Colorado, U.S.A.
    The leaf contains 0.2-0.9 % volatile oil, 14% resin, approximately 3.5 % tannin, 6 % starch, and a bitter substance called Damianian.

Primary effects are mild aphrodisiac and marijuana-like euphoria, lasting about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Excessive long-term use can be toxic to the liver.

Here is an excellent blend of herbal smoke:
    4 parts damiana leaf
    4 parts scullcap herb
    1/2 part lobelia herb
    4 parts passionflower herb
    1 part spearmint leaf

Smoke in a waterpipe, as the lobelia tastes quite nasty by itself!

@ Potter- a fine recipe for an aphrodisiacal cordial of damiana.

Soak 1 ounce of damiana leaves in 1 pint of vodka for 5 days. Pour off the liquid, strain, and filter through a conical paper coffee filter. Soak remaining alcohol-drenched leaves in 3/4 pint of distilled or spring water for another 5 days. Pour off liquids, strain and filter as before. Warm water extracts to 160 degrees F. and dissolve in 3/4 to 1 cup of raw honey. Combine aqueous and alcoholic extractions. Age for 1 month. During the aging, a sediment will form as the liqueur clarifies. The sediment is harmless, but you may wish to siphon the clear liqueur from it. For best results, take 1 or 2 cordial glasses nightly. The taste is exquisite! (in my opinion!) This can also be used in combination with Saw Palmetto berries in a 1:1 ratio.

16. jackiesbaby

jackiesbaby Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Only real effect Damiana has when not laced with synthetic cannabinoids or whatever else is being a mild aphordesiac.

17. V3TR

V3TR Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Hmm tranger has experienced it a few times he always fealt it was in general similar in feeling to an MAOI And aphrodisiac. He even mixed it with MAOI(s) like St. Johns Wart and Passionflower for good results and improved effect. Tranger even tried it in Ahahuasa with the two plants above, Damania, small amount of datura, yarrow, and a small amount of wormwood, and finally P. Verdis. It was a great success for tranger and he had a deep extistencial, meaning full trip that lasted a good 6 aprox. hours.

18. p$2

p$2 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    swip$ experience smoking damiana as a kind of vaugly ecstasy-like euphoria with short duration, peaking just after the hit and lingering for maybe 5 minutes. nothing like the duration of cannabis (which one could look upon as good or bad depending on one's perspective) but quite lovely still the same. Indeed it has been said that damiana stimulates the libido and sexuality. For the hit smoke it in a pipe or a bong, if looking for a substitute cigarette to give up tobacco then feel free to roll it up all day long.

19. Niandra

Niandra Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from earth
    This brownie thing sounds really intriguing! Could you please post the recipe? :)

20. PlanNoLay

PlanNoLay Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from Australia
    Late to the party, but damiana has pretty well zero effect on some people. Others may say they feel some relaxation from it. Guess that comes down to sensitivity, expectation and tolerance.

Damiana is an excellent mixer, especially for those hoping to avoid dangerous drugs like nicotine.