Health - Is smoking Kratom harmful? (Smoking Kratom to quit Nicotine)

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by TheHippyWanderer, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TheHippyWanderer

TheHippyWanderer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from ukraine
    Now before I begin this I better make this clear, I understand that smoking Kratom for recreational effects while potentially possible if you're capable of smoking that much is a pointless endeavor. I do NOT want to smoke Kratom for it's effects. I'd much rather eat it for that :thumbsup:

I'm currently trying to stop smoking tobacco, and have found that part of the problem is that I enjoy the act of smoking. The one time I did manage to quit smoking tobacco I had a constant supply of weed, and tobacco wasn't mixed into my joints. I've recently found that E-Cigarettes work wonders as I got a disposable one for free, and my original plan was to buy a "proper" E-Cigarette when I get paid and taper down the amount of nicotine in each bunch of liquid I buy, but I find myself about to run out of tobacco, which I could easily go and buy, but with a whole bunch of Kratom lieing around.

I've tried quitting with "herbal" tobaccos before, but have never had any luck because they all taste like shit. Kratom I've found doesn't actually taste that bad smoked, and I'm considering smoking Kratom until I have the money to buy an E-Cigarette. When this pouch of tobacco ends, if I manage, I'll buy one with no nicotine and find the healthiest and nicest tasting liquid I can find, so I can still enjoy my habit without having the need for Nicotine, or all the lovely chemicals and burnt paper that come in a cigarette :thumbsup:

So my question is this, is smoking Kratom actually harmful/more harmful than tobacco in the short term? Is there anything that could be released by smoking Kratom that could cause a problem?

Any answers'd be much appreciated

2. rawbeer

rawbeer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Because no one really smokes kratom, the effects of kratom smoke have never, to my knowledge, been studied. All of the kratom studies I know of either studied its use in SE Asia, where it's pretty much always chewed, or studied its efficacy in addiction treatment. Honestly if you're only planning on smoking it for a short while I wouldn't be very worried. It seems the worst thing most people report from smoking kratom is not getting high.

My OWN objection to this would be the cost - unless you just have very particular tastes there has got to be a cheaper, equally tasty herbal smoke out there. I'm not sure what herbal smokes you've tried but some taste very good. It seems almost everyone likes the taste of Damiana. Almost every species of the genus Salvia I have ever smoked tasted good.

But if you're just planning on smoking this stuff for a short while, maybe spending money on herbs would just set you further back from getting that e-cig, and I bet an e-cig is safer than smoking anything. Just pay attention to how you feel after smoking kratom - if it causes problems, obviously you should stop.
    Smoking plants with heavy waxes, resins, sap, etc. tends to be very rough on the lungs, kratom is pretty lacking in these substances.

Kratom is a very non-toxic herb, it seems unlikely that short term smoking would be harmful.

3. TheHippyWanderer

TheHippyWanderer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from ukraine
    Thanks for the answer, I actually threw the rest of my tobacco away yesterday to actually put a bit more of a dedicated effort into it, and am now smoking my first Kratom "cigarette" of the day.
    Unfortunately I'm completely out of money for a few days, otherwise I would've just bought the E-Cig, it is a bit of a shame to be wasting the Kratom, but I have a friend that sells imported tobacco that would happy let me off the money for a few days, leaving the Kratom as the only viable alternative to giving in and getting the tobacco
    So far it feels healthier than a cigarette to smoke, and like you said there doesn't seem to be much in the way of resin/wax etc, so it's looking good so far :thumbsup: