Other - is Sumatriptan recreational?

Discussion in 'Tryptamines' started by goslamsomeTHC, Feb 4, 2006.

1. goslamsomeTHC

goslamsomeTHC Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    could someone use Sumatriptan (Imitrex®, Imigran®) recreationally. It is a migraine medication, and is a tryptamine, bout all i know so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  2. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    yes, i suppose - depends on what you find recreational.

you could take 10-50 times the rx triptan dose and watch your limbs become vasoconstricted and eventually gangrenous in what i am sure would be a very psychedelic state of mind.

so please dont.

3. goslamsomeTHC

goslamsomeTHC Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    ok thank you very much. just askin, i saw tryptamine in some research today, and the curiosity began, but..... theeeere you go. so yeah thanks

4. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Many many compounds which are tryptamines are not recreational.

On topic - My wife takes Sumatriptan for migraine headaches. I looked into it when she was prescribed (I never trust the doctors not to precribe something dangerous!), and to my surprise it to be a substituted tryptamine. Anyone ever looked at the structure of this bugger? It's awfully close to bufotenine, IIRC. :) One night she had had 4 tablets over the last 18 hours or so, and incidentally she felt kinda weird. I joked that maybe it was the Imitrex but who knows, maybe it was? More likely, it was related to the monthly cause of her monthly headaches.

Before anyone jokes....IM the cause of her daily headaches, not the monthly ones, thank you, those I contribute completely to Luna dammit!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  5. N0ly

N0ly Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    thats some funny shit. I took way to many of there mother headache prescripts (non-opioid), when they were really young and naive. needless to say I had avery interesting trip to the ER.

6. napoleon in rags

napoleon in rags Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I've been taking Imitrex for migraines for some time now... believe me I don't think it's something you wanna take recreationally

The stuff I use is an intermuscular injection, and it causes my muscles to become weak, sore, and jittery for a good 4 hours.

Not exactly pleasant

7. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM once took Imitrex for his migraines, and was miraculously teleported to a world where serotonin levels were fucked with, I became very overemotional and tired, and best of all, the migraine didn't disappear! So SWIM guesses if thats you's idea of a good time...then still stay away from it altogether because even if it were psychedelic (its not), the side effect profile is too nasty to find the drug enjoyable.

8. Lil_tripper

Lil_tripper Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from Australia
    I disagree.Swim Accidentally took double a dose & currently feels quite euphoric, not unlike alot of codine. This may not be the case for everyone so proceed with caution.

9. zerozerohero

zerozerohero Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    i was once prescribed sumatriptan, in between a handful of other triptane-based migraine meds. I have never pulled any benefit for my migraibes from them and the only mind alteration i managed to achieve without going to dangerously overdosig on a little-known substance was not what i would call fun, rather light mental discomfort - not worth the effort and the potential side-effects of high doses just make those a no-no for me.