Is SWIM addicted to crack? Any advice?

Discussion in 'Cocaine addiction' started by nonlinear, Mar 13, 2007.

1. nonlinear

nonlinear Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi,

I have been a drug user for about 12 or 13 years. he started in high school and would use marijuana almost daily and LSD, meth, mushrooms, DOB, ecstacy, etc. almost every weekend.

In college SWIM stopped using alost everything, except for marijuana, which he smoked daily (all day for a couple of years).

After college, SWIM I began and completed a masters degree in science. At the beginning I didn't use anything (even quit smoking cifgarettes), but he then got into a relationship which introduced him to a club crowd. Drugs were prevalent. He became very very good friends with a coke dealer (who has since passed away from a coke overdose) and began using blow about two times per week. He wasn't usiong much at the beginning, maybe a half gram on a night, but that eventually progressed to 1 g, 2g, 3.5g, etc.

After conpleting his masters, SWIM began a phd, which he is still workoing on. Despite the weekend blow use, things had been going very well until about 3 weeks ago, when one of his guys got busted by the cops. He quit working, and so his partner quit selling blow and would only carry rock. I had been smoking rock for about 1.5 years, but only occasionally when he was with friends who had it; he had never prchased it for himself.

So SWIM bought rock one night (this was about 3 weeks and 2 days ago) and has been sitting at home smoking it ever since. He haven't been into school since, he has lost about 20 lbs. and hasbeen staying up for about 2 or 3 nights in a row, crashing for 10 hours, and doing the same all over again. He is now smoking about 4 grams per day (?, hard to keep track), and funding this habit by getting cash advances on my credit card. Last time he checked, he had gone into credit card debt about $4000 in the last 3 weeks.

Anyhow, he knows that he has the power to stop doing this, but it's so easy for him to hook up and just forget about it. He plans to stop and goes to sleep, but when he wakes up he either have a little rock left, which he smokes, or he somehow get an idea in his head to call his guy, Once I takes a hit of rock, the cycle begins again.

Anyhow, he realizes he has a problem here. He's just wondering how severe this seems to you all (is 3 weeks of this anything to worry about?), and if anyone has anyu suggestions for him. Thanks

2. nonlinear

nonlinear Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: Am i addicted to crack? Any advice?

oh, and I should maybe add that he only gets high for the first few hours of his binge, so he resorts to putting about 4 or 5 rocks into a plastic bottle pipe and hitting them all at once, so he gets a massive ringer. I have a feeling that he's going to kill himself one of these times.

3. Cure20

Cure20 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from Canada
    I have been down this road just receantly, and from experence, I would say that there might be a slight problem! The thing is - Once you get that first hit, the jones never stops until the supply or money is gone.
    What happend with I was one night SWIM began with 800 dollars in the pocket, and ended with nothing and needing a smoke more than a hit.
    I was just so digusted with one's self, that going back to it just never crossed the mind.
    Now SWIM can tell you this: There is no physical addiction to CRACK it is mostly in the mind. I had an easy time never doing it again, all it took was to keep the mind ocupied!
    I would try to do that,
    Good luck buddy!
    Feel free to send a PM if you need to talk more personal!

1. 4/5,
      Supportive response
      Jun 15, 2014
  4. IkBenDeMan

IkBenDeMan Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    I haven't noticed gone through the same thing, per se, but quite close. SWIM blew $2,500 in two weeks on oxy, dope, and needles one quarter during last academic year, and it messed with his studies so hard that he almost got kicked out of the university. Just stop. It's easier said than done. But just stop.... Seriously... I have never done crack, but from every other stimulant he has done, once you start, you're on for the rest of the night (or day). The best way to stop is to do it right now, because its only going to get harder.

5. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    ISE, just a few days off crack it's much easier than day one... get away from it as long as possible. Take a vacation to Tahiti or something for a week or two, anywhere it's unavailable... makes it much easier. Treating youself to "earthly" pleasures while quitting coke is a good thing too, as it reminds how much one's been missing simply sitting around listening to their own neurons crackle.