Opinions - Joint Rollers' chime in! (Rolling troubles)

Discussion in 'Cannabis paraphernalia' started by catchingsignals, Feb 23, 2006.

1. catchingsignals

catchingsignals Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    I am a huge fan of rolling joints, but as of late they have begin to "run" a little. By this, SWIM means they burn like crazy down one side, leaving an uneven and inefficient J.

How do you combat this problem? As far as I know, SWIM's J-rolling methods are decent, but still the problem persists.

2. Dr.Ganesha

Dr.Ganesha Newbie

Reputation Points:
    just have someone that's better at rolling do it for you (roommate for example)

3. Sitbcknchill

Sitbcknchill Retired Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    111 y/o from U.S.A.
    You don't use a dollar bill do you...if so stop....

Your getting creases in your paper when you roll....make sure your get your weed broken up very fine and try to roll evenly and not crush your paper when you roll....put your weed in your paper and roll it up and down so you round it out in your paper and then start to roll it up without smashing it...you want a nice even tight doobie in the end....

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  4. catchingsignals

catchingsignals Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Hmm.....maybe SWIM's roommate should take a gander at sitbcknchill's post.....

5. audiocide

audiocide Newbie

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o
    I use a dollar bill, and have used a dollar bill, since the late sixties. Why?

When I break up my bud, I cut off slices of a decent one and then roll them between my fingers. This gives little balls or wads.

I load this up and always roll a good cone. But I tend to have a problem with making the lower part (the lip end) waaay too tight and the larger portion is just perfect in my eyes. I don't like pot boogers, so I twist the end nice and hard.

Using a dollar bill to very quickly and very lightly roll it around some spreads the tighter mixture to the front and evens out all teh way along. I never hold the bill tight, I just rub it around some.

Yet there is one major problem runwise. For most any paper, you have to lick it. If you fire up right after, it doesn't burn well on the wet side.

I myself usually have 4-6 rolled at any given time and have amused friends by rolling one while they pass one of my earlier creations around. The reason is not simply to be prepared, but this allows it to cure. In a pinch I will just put it in between the metal pieces of a heater to dry it out, or put it in the cover of a fan. This prevents runs.

And while I'm not a shabby roller, my son sort of is and he uses the dollar bill for the same reason - even distribution. It's easy when you don't roll a cone, but I'm too used to cones now to do any other.

I only bill one out of every ten or so, but don't stop just because this guy says to. If that is the problem, just don't squeeze so hard.

Plus, one of my son's (and now my) best friends creases it all the time and it never affects how it burns as far as I can tell. It's a wet joint that runs most.

--mic

6. Sitbcknchill

Reputation Points:
    111 y/o from U.S.A.
    If you roll right there is no need for a dollar bill, but everyone has a certain way of doing things and as long as it works it doesn't really matter how you get from point A to point B as long as you get there.....so if that way works for you than keep it up, by all means do not change it.....rolling a joint is more or less an art the way swim looks at it, it's an aquired skill and you do it as you know best, not the way someone else thinks you should do something...

But there are also other things that would make a joint run like the type of bud you have, the moisture, how well it breaks up, how well you break it up, how it burns etc....

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  7. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Ways to combat the run....

1. Avoid leaving creases in the paper or air pockets between the pot and paper as these can cause a devastating run which will need to be re-rolled.

2. Don't smoke the joint right after you roll it because one side will still be wet, if you must smoke right after rolling try to baptise it (pull through wet lips) to even out the moisture.

3. Bust the bud as evenly as possible.

4. Rotate the joint as you smoke it.

5. If a "run" is already in progress, wet 1 finger with your saliva then slightly wet the side of the joint that its burning too fast near the cherry.

With all that, SWIM never has any problems. Rotating the joint is key, keeping the faster burning side on the bottom. Also I have noticed certain people pinch the end of the joint oddly in a way that your sucking mostly down 1 half of the joint, which will also cause a run.

8. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't even know how to roll, he wraps a zigzag around a pen and stuffs the weed in and pokes it to make it tight. Does the job, but swim's friend rolls amazing joints. SWIM really wants to know how to roll though, anyone can show him how?

9. lojzarb

lojzarb Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I recommend double-wide papers. They allow a lot of room for error. Even if you suck at rolling, if you use double-wides you'll roll damn good ones every time.

10. Dr.Ganesha

Dr.Ganesha Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Doors- Ask your friends to show you how to use a dollar to roll a j. This is a pretty easy method, and it's the way I do it most often. You should be able to pick it up pretty quickly.

11. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    http://smokingpapers.com

Click on PRODUCTS, select one of their KING SIZE skins and then a "How To Roll" option should be available. What follows is a perfectly easy-to-follow video clip of how to roll a king size joint.

12. Senor Gribson

Senor Gribson Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    use wired papers! they practically roll themselves and ive never had a wired j canoe on me, even when rolled by an amateur. next best imo is blunts if they ever start to canoe they always fix themselves.

13. Roll_Light_Smoke

Roll_Light_Smoke Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm not annoyed by 'side-burns' anymore. They rarely appear and when I do I just use the salvia method bcStoner420 mentions.

14. Roll_Light_Smoke

Roll_Light_Smoke Newbie

Reputation Points:
    "salvia" ?
    Damn, that drug is taking over me. Of course, I meant 'saliva' :)

15. Cuba

Cuba Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIC just started using a rolling box and manual herbgrinder. This not only makes it faster but always rolls the perfect doobie for the best smoke. If sidetracking does happen the saliva method works great. Try using the manual grinder and roll box if you never have tried it. SWIC loves it and pobobally wont go back to manual rolling for a while. It's alot of fun to use.

16. Sitbcknchill

Reputation Points:
    111 y/o from U.S.A.
    The only thing I don't like about a roll box is it's limitation on how big you can roll, but they do work great...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  17. Roll_Light_Smoke

Roll_Light_Smoke Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have never been a fan of using 'devices' to aid me in rolling a joint. I quite enjoy the art of rolling with just me and the paper.

18. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Just pack them tight. If it's a loose ass joint, it runs.

19. kritikal

kritikal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    It means you are rolling your joints uneven! Best way i have found to get rid of this problem is when you finished rolling your joint roll the joint in your fingers for a minute or so to make it consistent. Works like a charm!

20. mordor

mordor Newbie

Reputation Points: