Culture - Junkie Books & Film actually worth seeking out...

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by Trauma Princess, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Trauma Princess

Trauma Princess Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    A friend recommended starting a fresh post on smack related literature and film with the idea that my could help yous fill those hours when all the forum posts have been read and re-read and yous still want to talk smack! Obviously there is a shit-load of propaganda from the anti-drugs brigade out there and equally as annoying are portrayls written by someone with no experience of H - that leave yous asking "what drug are they supposed to be on exactly??!" So let SWIM start us off....

1. Candy 2005 Australian film
    A truely beautiful piece of cinematography that captures the Australian scene in the present day. A magnificent film even for non-junkies. Based on the semi-autobiographical novel by Luke Davies; this is someone who has lived it and it comes across throughout the film from the scenes of withdrawl mania beating the shower wall to the glorious hedonism of a scene yous will all want to reenact- banging up on entering a car wash and rushing to fuck as the rollers and water wash over the car.

It is billed as a tale of "love and addiction" beginning with big love and those heady happy days when just playing with the best drug on Earth and they play with style-like all good screen junkies should. Matched by the couples love of eachother is of course their love of the gear and as we all know when smack gets involved in life, life gets progressively chaotic and as with all junkie films things deteriorate.

This is essential viewing for anyone who got into the gear as a couple. It was my story and it rings a lot of ever so heart-wrenching bells.

Also Heath Ledger is the lead and for all those who only caught his bad bland teen US stuff and are still wondering what all the hype around him was about-this will convince yous what a brilliant actor he was.

It contains to my mind some brilliant smack soundbites...

"More is never enough"

and

"when you can give up, you dont want to, and when you want to give up- you can't....one of life's little riddles"

I have more film/book recommendations but figures she'll let someone else have a go ....

2. Rightnow289

Rightnow289 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Re: Junkie Books&Film actually worth seeking out...

Must read trainspotting by Irving Welsh if You haven't already. Also look into William S Burroughs.

3. vtheree

vtheree Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I am currently watching Candy, so far it is an amazing film. SWIM cant thank You enough for recommending it. I am going to pick up the book tomorrow to find out the whole story. Thanks again!

4. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan

did you by any chance check the drug focused movie review thread we have here ?

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/7728

a lot of hard work went into it....
    b

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. mickey_bee

mickey_bee Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

As junkhead mentioned, anything by William S Burroughs....not just his writings, but also some of his readings you can download (or buy if you're not a junky), which sometimes feature pretty atmosphericly fitting music too.

The Basketball Diaries is pretty good too. A novel and film starring pretty boy leo di caprio.

There's lots more but I can't remember, I'll have to come back on here when I'm more with it.:thumbsup:

6. Trauma Princess

Trauma Princess Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o

SWIvtheree so pleased you got something out of it. Glad to spread the joy. Its a real life-enhancer that one isnt it? SWIM too saught out the book-You may be a little disappointed, its a pretty sketchy first novel and I know a lot of effort and very clever people went into translating the content into such a film. Its a worthy read though-lots of junkie japes.

7. rogerrinseout

rogerrinseout Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    Trainspotting (obvious I know) is an excellent book, as is all of Irvine Welsh's books which pretty much all involve much drug caining.
    Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers' biography is also an excellent read.

8. 420Shark210SanAnto

420Shark210SanAnto Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    First of all, I have to say, +freaking1 to the OP. I am glad someone else is trying to spice up the forum, I do the exact same thing, sit here reading the same threads over and over still wanting to talk dope!

But as for movies and books, the book trainspotting in my opinion blows the movie out of the water. The book just tells so much more that the movie cant. Requiem for a Dream is a great movie, SWIM wishes he had a copy of the book. And of course, the basketball diaries. A rather amazing true life story, and one of the only movies with leonardo dicaprio in it that i like, in fact, i LOVE the way he portrays a drug addict. It redeems him for that crap Titantic. Also, Spun is a great movie about tweak (meth).

9. Ill~Will

Ill~Will Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Christiane F, a German film focusing on the life of a 14 year old girl
    who gets hooked on H, like everyone else around her. It's in subtitles
    but it is a great flick

10. Thor1394

Thor1394 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM recomends the Downtown Diaries by Jim Carol. It is the sequal to Basketball Diaries but in my oppinion much, much better. It is alot harder to find than Basketball Diaries and sometimes goes by a different name I don't remember at the moment, but he knows it's just the years the diary was supposed to take place between like 1971-1979 or something like that. This is my favorite book and went to meet Jim Carol in person at a reading in New York after reading it.

11. dyingtomorrow

dyingtomorrow Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Question for all of you - what is the most extreme book or film you would say?

I have seen all the popular ones, Requiem, Trainspotting, etc., read a couple heroin related books, and has to say he hates the genre with a passion. He just finds it annoying to see things portrayed so dramatically that are like, as mundane as making a cup of coffee for SWIM and every person he knows fucking with heroin.

So he asks, what would be the most extreme (i.e., maybe approaching realistic) movie or book people would say there is about heroin?

12. Sniffin Sunshine

Sniffin Sunshine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ive said it before and ill say it again
    this one would be hard to find, as it was a tv movie on lifetime years and years ago and swim herself hasnt seen it since then but there is a movie called darkness before dawn
    it is about a woman working in a methadone clinic, who it taking the methadone secretly, but has never shot up, and she meets an addict coming into the clinic for his heroin addiction. the two end up falling in love and doing h togeather, having a child, etc.
    I dont remember everything else, but she thinks this move was a little more realistic then some of the movies out there, just cause it wasnt a high budget film. swim personally agrees with you dt, a lot of h books and movies add all kinds of hype to things that to everyday junkies is just another day on the grind.
    swim still enjoys watching them every once in a while though

the ones that bother her are all the h books that end with the happy fairytale of getting clean and how everythings amazing now and will be forever the end.
    getting clean does happen, yes, but its no fairytale, lol

13. dyingtomorrow

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    For real. I feel like getting clean off heroin is basically like being the mom at the end of Requiem For a Dream.

14. SmokeNmirrors

SmokeNmirrors Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    True on that one. As for the movie thing even though its a little off but swim loved American gangster.

15. dyingtomorrow

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was watching that with his family and had to leave 5 minutes into the movie. Seeing a fucking large bin filled with brown ass heroin was just too much for him.

16. SmokeNmirrors

SmokeNmirrors Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Yeah swims dad had it once when he was home after his family found out about his addiction it was awkward and not a movie to watch if fiending.

17. Sniffin Sunshine

Sniffin Sunshine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    agh thats why I usually avoids junkie movies all togeather- so many of them just make her fiend, and shes too broke to be bangin extra shots just cause it looked good in a movie. lol
    and when shes sick forget about it. thats the last thng she would wanna watch.
    hang in there dt :)

18. Ill~Will

Ill~Will Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    dying tomorrow, You should watch Christiane F if you want to see an "extreme" heroin movie

19. east_of_eden

east_of_eden Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim loves watching films or reading books about junk. whether they are over the top or not.

some movies worth watching that haven't been mentioned:

1. Sid and Nancy (fantastic) plus Gary Oldman is amazing.
    2. Drugstore Cowboy .... what a great movie, so many perfect quotes.
    3. Permanent Midnight ... not swim's favourite but still good.
    4. Less than zero ... with robert downy jr. (not about heroin but so good)

now I am blanking and can not think of anymore although she has a big movie collection and will probably see some at home that she forgot to mention.

she read a book called "smack" (she thinks that's the name), she remembers thinking that was good. "less than zero" is also a book (that's the next book she really wants to read).

east_of_eden added 1 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

I have been wanting to see this movie for a long time now but where can she find it?

other than trying to download it from the internet, any ideas? thanks.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  20. Ill~Will

Ill~Will Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim downloaded Christiane F in torrent form, only way swim can find it