1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Injecting - just shot up and arm is now completley numb!!

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by The Monoxide Child, Feb 17, 2009.

1. The Monoxide Child

The Monoxide Child Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    swim just shot up some heroin in the bend of his elbow (the classic spot) now his arm from there up to his hand is numb (just on the side he shot up on) swim is really scared, this has never happened before, anyone know what's going on?

2. psychoshaman

psychoshaman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o Male from Australia
    Sounds like you might have hit an artery is your hand your hand puffed up as well? best thing to do is raise your hand above your head and maybe put some ice in the injection site, swim has a vein quite close to his artery in the same site it sucks when it happens and swim had his hands, legs face and feet tingling from a BIG shot of meth the other day, it's supposed to be pretty bad for you and the first time it happened to swim he was freaking out it's happend a couple more times since then and i'm still ok, just remember veins are raised and on the surface, and you can see their "blueness", arteries are deep, if it pulses it's an artery, blood from a vein is usually dark, arteries bright red, sometime even frothy and usually blood will shoot right in even though you have'nt drawn back yet... Swim is no doctor, and let me tell swiy that he has spoken to doctors, spent a night in the emergency ward swim told the what he had done and what he believed was going on that didn't have a clue, thought i had amphetamine psychosis, even though i was calm and diplomatic they srugged me of like some kinda junkie (and what if i am no need to be judgemental i am human just like the rest) seems like swim new more than they did...

You should be fine, if you nare really concern see a doctor or even call an ambulance if it's that bad...

Also do us a favour write back as soon as practible so swim knows your ok, stay calm don't freak and peace...

hope this helps

3. Esmerelda

Esmerelda Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    It could be Swiy damaged a nerve, or missed the vein and swelling is now putting pressure on a nerve.

If Swiy has swelling/ colour change (aside from bruising)/ lost pulse in the arm/hand, he should get medical attention.

I'm assuming this numbness isn't associated with any chest pain?

4. chillinwill

chillinwill

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Also, it could be just a little bit of the shot got out of the vein either as SWIY was sticking the needle in or pulling out and this can cause some numbness depending on what it was cut with

5. pinksox

pinksox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Sounds like SWIY hit a nerve. Literally. Especially if you have no other symptoms. Usually you'll feel something painful or "weird" when you poke a nerve though. Anytime that happens, SWIY should backoff and try someplace else.

Or it could have been cut with something odd.

Not to be silly, but SWIY didn't leave any constriction devices in place accidently, did they? SWIM know it sounds funny...but SWIM has seen that happen before.

If it's a matter of bumping a nerve, the feeling should come back eventually...though it might take awhile.

6. The Monoxide Child

The Monoxide Child Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Numbness is gone now and everything is back to normal, but that was weird

7. Esmerelda

Esmerelda Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    Glad to hear you're okay :)

8. BumpBump

BumpBump Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    swim has a nerve he catches sometimes and its like an little electric shock and makes swim shiver

9. m.swinehart81

m.swinehart81 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    Uh oh!!!

So swim has an issue that he isnt sure what he should do about it. Swim just did a shot, everything went fine, swim was feelin good, and then all the sudden he felt a suttle tingle go through his hand and out through his pinky finger (smallest finger). His smallest finger is now completely numb!
    Swim did the shot in his wrist. If you were to look at the palm of your hand the shot would have been on the left side and about an inch to an inch and a half down from where your hand meets your arm.
    Swim has had things go numb before but its never lasted very long. His pinky finger has now been numb for about 15 minutes...
    Anyone have any ideas why swims pinky finger would be numb? Opinions on what should be done? Opinions on how long it might last?

10. mugwump77

mugwump77 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Re: Uh oh!!!

not sure which hand i'm looking at here. lol. i would assume your friend booted on the pinky side of the hand.

now i'm no doctor, but your friend may have nicked a nerve, or maybe (more likely) the shot didn't go exclusively into the vein, meaning some spillover into a nerve.

again, i'm no doctor, and i would think if this persists that a visit to an actual doctor would be prudent. now if i were to guess the outcome i would imagine this side effect would evetually fix itself provided no further injections are done near the site.

most likely the toxins of the spillover have irritated the nerve and caused temporary numbness. the important thing is that one is sure the finger is still getting circulation. keep us updated on how things are going with your friend.

11. m.swinehart81

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o Male from U.S.A.

Thanks Mugwump. It is on the pinky side of swims wrist on his right hand. I first thought it could be the nerve but I would think if that were the case it would have happened rapidly but it didnt. Swim said it didnt go numb for a good 5 minutes after he did the shot. He said the shot went fine too.
    This whole spillover thing definitely sounds like a very logical possiblity though. As for right now swims pinky is still numb. It has been probably about an hour to an hour and a half since it all happened. Im hoping that swims finger fixes itself. I know how much he hates going to the doctor. Especially for something related to IV'ing heroin. I sure wouldnt want to go to the doctor for something like that anyway...

12. east_of_eden

east_of_eden Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.

swim HATES going to the doctor for heroin related problems, it goes back to that thread on how much society looks down on junkies.

swim has had this numbness thing happen before (and it seems like it usually is in the fingers) maybe something about the circulation there? but swim doesn't think it should stay that way for more than a couple hours.

let us know what happened. hope swiny is ok.

13. Rightnow289

Rightnow289 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth

Pacman reckons SWIY will be fine. He has has this happen before due to a miss that was he thinks a through and through (one that registered but wasn't in.If this occurs near a vein in the hand it can bring numbness, swelling and pain

14. m.swinehart81

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o Male from U.S.A.

Swim's pinky finger is all better! He passed out last night and when he woke up this morning his pinky finger was feeling normal again. I appreciate the advice though and so does swim! The last push of the shot swim did kind of made his wrist sort of... ache...??? I dont really know how else to describe it. Swim said it wasnt the sharp shooting pain of a miss but more like what you feel hours after missing. Funny thing is, swim said it happened right away...??? It seems kind of odd to me but what can ya do?
    Either way, swim's finger is feeling like its old self again!

15. thebige

thebige Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

After the fact swim would say a nerve hit.............also swim is not a doctor.
    But when swiy sticks metal into your body along with unknown chemicals and cuts,these things are to be expected ......Staysafe.....

16. Wallet

Wallet

Reputation Points:
    Female

SWIM is happy that SWISwine's finger is all better. SWIM has been having the same issues with his right hand :-( Been going on for a couple weeks now. Not really sure what to do about it but it still has strength so he isn't worrying yet.

Just curious Swine, why so much negative rep?

17. mugwump77

mugwump77 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

true that. from all the swine posts i've read he seems a-ok, i'm betting it was an initial problem learning to swim. am i right? ;)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  18. m.swinehart81

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o Male from U.S.A.

yes, very correct. when I first became a member I put the price of things and I also self incriminated. All without knowing I shouldnt do those things. I made the mistake of posting before reading the forum rules. A dumb mistake... ;)
    Thanks for all the info though guys. Definitely made swim a little more comfortable knowing there are some people out there willing to stear him in the right direction with difficult situations!!

19. Ill~Will

Ill~Will Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Arm going numb when shooting into wrist(sometimes)

A few times now swim has shot into the big vein on the top of his wrist
    and had his entire arm go numb, really not very fun at all.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening?

20. SmokeNmirrors

SmokeNmirrors Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Re: Arm going numb when shooting into wrist(sometimes)

Is this a different dope then what swiy normally gets cause maybe its the cut. Also coke will do that if swiy misses so maybe there is some coke cut in with the dope but that's highly unlikely. How long does this last for? Cause most likely its something its cut with that maybe swiys body is allergic too.