1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Just started microdosing today, didn't feel it, can second dose be taken?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by MacShj, Mar 27, 2017.

1. MacShj

MacShj Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from NYC
    I've started my boyfriend on a microdosing regiment of psilocybin. I grew golden teacher shrooms myself. He is amongst those most extreme cases of treatment resistant depression, he has tried every class of antidepressant, has tried ECT, has tried ketamine (at a practitioner's office) . Now we're trying psilocybin.
    I started him with .2g grinded up in a capsule this morning and he didn't feel it.
    Should I wait the requisite 3 days before I give him another dose ? Or can I give him another dose the same day since he didn't feel it?
    Some more info, he has recently stopped taking Effexor and hasn't taken it for 4 or 5 days, is it possible it's still in his system?
    He has no antidepressants in his system right now. His doctors what to start him back on ECT, but I want to give this a try first.

2. Budgetadvisoryservice

Budgetadvisoryservice Blue Water Scum Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from On the bay
    What is it that you're expecting to feel?

Micro dosing psilocybin is not an acute treatment for anything. All the accounts I've read and the two that I've heard first hand, indicate that it can take days or weeks before any effect is realised. I imagine that this is even more evident in the case of treatment resistant depression, as it's common for such a patient to fail to recognise even quite drastic alterations in their state of mind.

I'd recommend that you give it time. Stick with the treatment plan you have set out for at least a couple of weeks to a month, before you right it off as a failed experiment. I think it would be foolish to double the dose on day one because no effect has been noticed yet.

As for the dose you've mentioned, that seems kinda high to me for a micro dose, but then I'm not experienced with the species of mushroom you're using. The two people I know who used psilocybin for similar conditions were using more in the range of 10-20mg per dose, once a day. 200mg, or .2gm seems like it's approaching a psychoactive dose of dried mushroom.

3. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from Slovakia
    Maybe your mushrooms are quite impotent, it happens. 0.2g can be too little depending on the psilocybin content. He should definitely take more next time. But not on the same day.

10 - 20mg is a completely inactive dose. And for pure psilocybin, that would be WAY too high for a microdose. Are you sure the people took 10 - 20mg and not 100 - 200mg?

4. Hardstepa

Hardstepa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I tried microdosing last year for a couple of months. It wasn't for depression more just for general health and make me feel a bit better on my methadone reduction. I did 100mg dried cubes every Friday and Monday and it wasn't psychoactive at all. It gave me a bit of a lift but I was also taking choline bitatrate on a daily basis and l-theanine when required. If he is microdosing then he shouldn't be feeling anything from the shrooms right away. I can't really say what effect it has on depression but I hear it takes a wee while before it helps.

5. Budgetadvisoryservice

Reputation Points:
    from On the bay
    @Adas - One took 20mg daily of dried psilocybe subaeruginosa, the other took half that dose daily of weraroa pouch fungi. They're both fairly potent species, and the weraroa is a very unusual shroom with strange chemistry in that it contains more psilocin than psilocybin and may have other active ingredients. This may mean that the doses might not translate well to other species, but still shouldn't be too far off.

My understanding of micro dosing is that you want to come in well under a psychoactive dose, as in half or so, in order to make the most of more subtle enhancements without tripping at all. 100-200mg of dried shroom (in NZ) would have most people tripping a little and would therefore be too high for a microdose.

In my googling on this topic, I quickly came across a site near the top of the list which suggested that a microdose should be around the 200mg mark of dried shroom. This seems magnitudes too high to me. I'm no mushroom microdosing expert, but I've had a bit to do with folks who are and I've done some solid reading on it and 200mg is definitely a minimal psychoactive dose, well above what is advised for a daily microdose.

Just saying, it might pay to do some deeper research if 200mg is the dose you've come up with.

6. Hardstepa

Hardstepa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I would say that a threshold dose for me is about 0.4- 0.5 dried. Even if you were using a psychoactive dose wouldn't it have no effect after a couple of doses?? I felt no effect from 100mg but I can see it is different for each person who does it. I don't know how to post links on this tablet but the top of a Google search for microdosing is a site called third wave 'Ultimate guide to microdosing' and he says 0.2- 0.5 grams which I would say is definitely psychoactive.

7. Budgetadvisoryservice

Reputation Points:
    from On the bay
    That's the site I was referring to, and I agree that the dose they recommend is far too high for many species of shroom. Gotta watch those 'Ultimate Guides', huh?

8. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from Slovakia
    In my eyes, for the microdose to be even effective you have to feel something. Of course you don't want to trip, but some change should be noticeable. If it isn't, you're probably wasting shrooms. But that's just my opinion.

9. Mongo Straight

Mongo Straight Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, United States
    @Adas
    I know this is an older thread but I thought this question to you might be better placed here to get some insight!

When you said " some changes should be noticeable " could you please give some examples of such?

The reason I ask is I have recently begun this same microdosing and would like to possibly compare and contrast with any examples of "changes" you or anyone else may offer!

Open question as well to @Budgetadvisoryservice

10. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from Slovakia
    Surely. On the come-up maybe some sympathomimetic effects such as yawning and needing to stretch, then you feel more peaceful and meditative, and more satisfied overall. That's just from my experience. Also it can stir up some negative emotions in the first part, but then bring you back some good memories for exchange. Depends on species of mushroom, dosage, etc. etc.

11. Mongo Straight

Mongo Straight Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, United States
    Thank you for your reply!

I am starting to understand the individualistic element that surrounds the aura of this wonderful mushroom world I've reintroduced myself to after a 20 year hiatus.

Only back then I saw it as just tripping and partook in just about anything that would get one high.

Now it has become almost spiritual in the simplest way possible in that it can actually be taken in very small doses throughout the day. I only now understand that!

Again much thanks, and I simply believe that every dose and every persons trip will be a totally individual play!

12. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from Slovakia
    No problem man. Yes every experience can be different, I haven't had a microdose too many times, but the strange calmness and satisfaction were always there. One time I took a microdose so high that I almost felt like beginning to trip in certain moments, but after the comeup it leveled out and my mind was clear, I was calm and it was easy to shut down thinking. Easier to get into trance as well.

Psilocybin, to me, is a drug so wonderful it's beyond language. If only mushrooms grew more abundantly in my area.