1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - Kadian 20 mg questions

Discussion in 'Morphine' started by cheesefan, Dec 28, 2010.

1. cheesefan

cheesefan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hello. I recently came across kadian 20 mg pills and was looking to use them recreationally. The person who gave them to SWIM recommended he crush up some of the beads and take orally. I have some experience with opiates, but takes them rarely so does not have much of a tolerance.

I am curious about recreational dosages for someone like him. He weighs 220 lbs or 99kg. He recently took 5, 5mg Hydrocodone with a nice but not-too-intense high.
    I am prone to sinus infections so does not want to insufflate.

I am also curious about side effects and how common they are. SWIM read that common side effects include constipation, nausea, dry mouth, sweating. I would appreciate any opinions or experiences with side effects.

I would really appreciate any information.

Thanks

2. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Make certain to do some more research in this (the Morphine) forum.

Morphine isn't very active orally - you lose a LOT of it to first-pass metabolism in the liver when it's taken orally. IIRC, oral morphine dose is 1-to-1 with oral hydrocodone; meaning that if one usually takes 25mg of hydrocodone to get relief, one would need 25mg of morphine orally to obtain the same level of relief. Keep in mind that the extended release format of Kadian changes that somewhat (in that the suggestion to crush the beads first would be a good one).

Morphine is FAAAAAR more bioavailable (meaning it works MUCH better) by pretty much ANY method other than oral - half the oral amount could be used, say, rectally, and would lead to much more relief than the oral dose. Nasal administration is also more effective. This is because rectal & nasal admin bypass much of the first-pass metabolism effect of the liver. Rectally, one could crush the beads, mix with a small amount of water, suck the solution into a syringe without a needle or (even better) with an oral/liquid medicine syringe, lube slightly (olive oil or hand lotion works in a pinch), insert in anus & release liquid.

The method above could be recommended for every opioid, but it is ESPECIALLY recommended for administration of morphine; it sounds very strange & awkward, but really makes THAT much of a difference over oral admin. The only way one could get a better kick out of morphine is via IV (which is not recommended). There are many who might even say that morphine orally is a waste of the drug.

Side effects are generally the same as any other opioid; if one has experienced hydrocodone, the side effects are about the same.

Do some more research, be safe & good luck!

~Kailey

3. cheesefan

cheesefan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks for your response. I know morphine (as well as many other drugs) are more bioavailable when used rectally, but I have been reading that orally more efficient than insufflation. SWIM read a couple of threads here and read in other sources that orally its bioavailability is 25-30%, whereas insufflation is around 15-20%.