Kaempferia Galanga

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by wizard warior, Sep 4, 2004.

1. wizard warior

wizard warior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    anyone come across this herb,now of any good ways too ingest it, is it worth it?

2. BA

BA Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Check out this link

http://www.erowid.org/herbs/galangal/galangal.shtml

Where you see experinces click 'more'

BA

3. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Recently found this, does anyone have any first (or second) hand info about it?

Kaempferia galanga is used as an hallucinogen in New Guinea. Throughout the
    range of this species, the highly aromatic rhizome is valued as a spice to
    flavor rice, and also in folk medicine as an expectorant and carminative.
    A tea of the leaves is employed for sore throat, swellings, rheumatism,
    and eye infections. In Malaysia, the plant was added to the arrow poison
    prepared from Antians toxicaria.
    This short-stemmed herb has flat-spreading, green, round leaves measuring
    3-6 in. (8-15 cm) across. The white flowers (with a purple spot on the lip),
    which are fugacious, appear singly in the center of the plant and attain
    approximately 1 in. (2 1/2 cm) in breadth.
    Beyond the high content of essential oil in the rhizome, little is known of the
    chemistry of the plant. Hallucinogenic activity might possibly be due to
    constituents of the essential oils.

another place in the book said this:
    common names:
    Galanga
    Maraba

There are vague reports that Galanga is employed as an hallucinogen in New
    Guinea.

The highly aromatic rhizome is valued locally as a condiment, a tea from the
    leaves is employed in folk medicine.

4. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Very spicy stuf. Mix with rice and honey. Not easy to consume. You need to eat as much as you can and it will test your will power. Do not expect much. I found it to be a mild but interesting drug. I do not know how much I consumed as I had 50 grams, which I did not finish. It took two hours before any effect was noticable. A mild good feeling overtook me. Just a notice that something was up. It felt like a good afterglow.Maybe some stimulation. At one point I looked up to the sky and the clouds started making faces and figures with amazing speed. Funny as hell. It lasted 1,5 hours, which considering all the effort I had to put into it to consume the spicy& woody stuff, is not worth it. An extract may be a good idea.

5. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Is there any indication of what the active compounds are? It seems to me that extraction or encapsulation would be the best ideas. Do you know about what portion of that 50g you ate?

Peace,

D.

6. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    I've been searching for info on that some years ago and could not find anything. Because Galanga is so spicy, I suspect the etheric oils would be the way to go. That also means to be a bit cautious as ethic oils have the tendency to be hard on the digestive system.

7. passitbobbie

passitbobbie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Where is a good source fo Galanga, I would be quite interested in running an ethanol extraction on it.

8. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Just google it or check the sources forum(ethnobotanicals) when you get to gold status.

9. enigmatic

enigmatic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Make sure that you get the right shit. I have also seen "Alpina officinalis" called galangal.

10. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I chopped up a 56 grams of the root as fine as I could, (which took ages, its the texture of old leather), covered in water bought to boil. I then simmered for about 3 hrs adding more water as needed. I then strained, and used the water to make rice rissotto.

This resulted in a trip not unsimilar to a very mild dose of mescaline. A body glow with minor visuals. Felt kinda nice to move about.

"Alpina officinalis" is said to work too but is milder.

Im amazed noone has used an extract of this to make herbal x.

11. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't know if we are speaking of the same stuff but I have a very reliable toxicology book which says:

Galega Officinalis aka "Galega": 400 to 500g can kill an adult sheep. Toxic dose in these animals is around 10g/kg. The substance responsible for this is supposed to be galegine (a guanidine derivative)

I hope galangal is something completely different...

12. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Next Up from New Zealand: Sheep-Dip Trip! I wonder how it mixes with piperazines......

13. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Kamperia Galanga has been used as a spice in Indian cooking for ages. I noticed no side effects nor negative after effects.

14. plantshaman

plantshaman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i have found more information on this plant somewhere and i was pretty interested myself .i'll look around and see if i can find the articles on it. I've never been to the sources forum but i tell you it is available from a number of places and one place thats rather popular has a very potent extract which is what i would go with . One thing i know for sure is there are numerous reports all stating mild psychedelic effects after taking the plant or extract

15. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    My Galangal Experience

Well after reading about galanga root a bit on erowid I figured I'd give it a try. So I spun over to the local Asian market and got about a pound. Relatively cheap too. I cut off some small pieces of fresh root and chewed on them for awhile. I quite liked the taste actually, so I jusat kept chewing pieces and swallowing them down. I consumed probably no more than an ounce of fresh root. Also I was chasing this down with a Rockstar which could've boosted the effects considerably. Within 30 minutes I felt completely relaxed, but at the same time very very energetic and happy. The effects stayed relatively constant for about 2 hours or so, and I was very talkative also. All in all for a dose that cost much less than a dollar I was very satisfied with. Next time I will try it without caffiene and see what it's like. However, for those who have tried with no effects, maybe taking it with another stimulant would boost it well.

16. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    Just wanted to say I tried some more today. No exact dose I was just swallowing chucks and chasing it with grape juice. This seems to be a very under rated ethno on here. Extremely nice mood and sensory enhancer. Cheap as anything you could ever buy. TRY it if you haven't.

17. Snowman

Snowman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm making tea and find it rather mild but very worthwhile for everybody intersting in health topics. Wasn't chewing too sharp?

18. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    is galangal the same thing as mulungu?

19. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    Well the first time I chewed a younger part of the root which wasnt as spicy. Today I dipped dill chips in it and they tasted great! If you're looking for a halluiogen look elsewhere. However, if you want a mild-medium stimulant with mood and sensory enhancing aspects then it's great. I'm going to start replacing caffiene with it since I'm mildly addicted to caffiene, and caffiene makes me irriatable and galanga= :-D

20. thimself

thimself Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: My Galangal Experience

Any idea on the plant it was from? I have tried ingesting and smoking up to 2 grams at a time of A. Galanga resin from a reputable source with little to no effects.