Experiences - Kanna (Sceletium tortuosum) experiences

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Joe-(5-HTP), Jul 20, 2009.

1. Joe-(5-HTP)

Joe-(5-HTP) Palladium Member Supporter Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Please post your experiences with Kanna (Sceletium tortuosum) here

When posting a experience, please describe:
    • body weight & gender
    • dose taken
    • route of administration
    • Setting: in what environment it was taken.
    • duration of main effects
    • main effects
    • side effects
    • after effects
    • rating of the experience
    • addictive qualities / abuse potential
    • any other valuable information

2. Sushi

Sushi Signals From 93 Dimensions Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from Łódź, Poland
    Subject: male, 37, about 66kg.
    2g of fermented Kanna, smoked and chewed on two separate occasions.
    Setting: indoors.

Day 1
    Inspired by the information on Sceletium tortuosum being traditionally used by hunters, gatherers and warriors as a mild stimulant and stress reliever, Alf used his Kanna in an utilitarian way too, while finishing a little project and being somewhat mentally disturbed by the imminence of approaching deadline.

On the first occasion eyeballed 500mg total was used.
    Most of it (about 400mg) was added to a chewing gum and chewed for about 30 minutes until plant material was completely absorbed. Then rest of the dose was smoked with marijuana, just to see how the two combine with each other (there's alleged synergy). They combine very well, actually Kanna looks like a fine mixer for cannabis. Due to a marginal amount smoked can't tell much about true intensity of effects but the smoke produced by the mix was memorably nice. What's more Kanna is the mixer active by itself in reasonable amounts, i.e. even 100-250mg of fermented herb is being recommended as a right dose for smoking. Of course this mix probably shouldn't be used as liberally as cannabis is used as a mixer and enhancer with many drugs because Kanna is SSRI (and this means a risk of serotonin syndrome in combination with drugs with serotonergic activity and it should not be mixed with MAOIs either).

Anyway, Alf drank a tea strong enough to be noticeably stimulating first (at least 4 bags), then chewed Kanna. Effects appeared after about 30 minutes and included: slight stimulation, clearing of the sensorium, noticeably deeper breathing, jaws clenching (unmistakable symptom for an ex-speedfreak) and slight nausea. After about 40 minutes subject smoked a little glass pipe of the mix (see the pictures below) and after 1 hour started to doze off.

All this happened 3 months ago and the memory is a bit vague, however in a sketchy log of the experience Alf written down such words as: "spaced out", "cool" and "trippy dreaming". Not the most descriptive terms, I know.

No noticeable hangover or other side effects.

Day 2
    All remaining Kanna (about 1.5g) was added to four gums and laboriously chewed, just like before, only this time it was quite a huge ball. The taste is not bad however, just herbal, not really prominent in any way, maybe a wee bit bitter.

This time effects were much more intensified and consisted of stimulation predominantly: sharpening of senses, cleared sensorium, jaw clenching, sweaty palms and intestinal movements. It was surprisingly intense even if lacking any euphoric or empathogenic properties. From what I read the dosage range for chewing is 500mg - 2000mg and the effects should be longer lasting than the ones produced by smoking or insulfating and are supposed to include sedation and analgesia. These effects were absent either; if anything there was rather more anxiety in it due to pronounced stimulation.

Can't tell how long the effects lasted because Alf stayed up all night anyway drinking coffee and tea.
    No noticeable hangover or other side effects. Just a normal tiredness one would expect after a sleepless night on mild stimulants.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  3. OffandOn

OffandOn Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    a friends Experiances with 5x kanna extract

Male 200lbs

Oral 100 mg

Effects were noticed 20 minutes.
    very mild stimulation
    mood was slightly elevated

Vaporized 50 mg
    Effects were noticed immediately
    Initially there was a fairly strong light-headed "high"
    mild euphoria came in waves , mood was elevated
    main effects subsided at the +1hr mark
    waves of greatly decreased euphoria persisted for another hour.

SWIM vaporized 50-200mg multiple times a day for a period of one week.
    His mood has been greatly increased, his usual anxiety is almost completely gone, and his sleep quality is increased. He hasn't experienced any side effects so far . Upon running out of kanna he did not experience any withdraw. I feel kanna has great potential as an anti depressant and anti anxiety med.

4. keytone

keytone Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    male, 160 lbs

insufflation
    50mg
    fine powder form

onset is quite rapid, with noticeable jitters, palm sweating and increased heart rate within 5 minutes. the effects are similar to that of the rush of amphetamine/mdma, only a lot less intense. one is able to still keep their composure. euphoria and loss of anxiety becomes apparent around 10-15 minutes and the high hits its plateau within 20 minutes.

at this point the powder is blown out of the nose, appears green and muddy. if one chooses to use this as a study aid (supplementing b-12 and caffein), it works quite nicely to aid concentration, while reducing stress. one of the side effects of this method is insomnia, especially when taken at night.

noticeable effect wear off within an hour to an hour and a half. has a similar effect to crashing of caffeine.

smoking: water bong
    60mg of kanna
    ~100 mg of klip dagga
    ~150 mg of siberian motherwort

t +0:02 200mg of valerian root (oral)

the method kanna administration has been noticed to synergize the intended properties of the other ethnobotanicals. works quite well for meditation or a sleep aid depending on the time of day. onset occurs roughly 5-8 minutes after burning the entire bowl (about 2 large rips) as quickly as possible. much more euphoric and light headedness experienced than snorting. comparable to low grade MJ, without the short termed memory loss.

dry mouth is noticeable, along with a hazzyness of sounds, almost like a blending of the senses of colors and sound (only noticed during pre sleep). this part is somewhat hard to explain. suppressed appetite, elevation of mood, and decreased anxiety is noticed with every dosage.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

tolerance builds up quite quickly. a daily dosage of 150-250 mg is common, usually in 50mg increments whenever depression and anxiety become overwhelming.

I am a little worried about dependency (so far a little over a month of daily usage), however this is a great replacement (and preferred mind you...) to prescription ssri medication. also served a great purpose in treating drug addiction. I feel happier and less anxious than when on antidepressants or self medicated with alcohol and mj.

5. GreyPaws

GreyPaws Palladium Member Sponsor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My Dog Rex, while prospecting on mars, intercepted the following report from some aliens:

Subject: Human Male, 260lbs, daily cannabis smoker (2-3g per day), daily opiate use for the last 30 days, highest per day dose 30mg lowest per day dose 10mg (hydro/oxycodone) last dose 14 hours ago 20mg. No food within the last 4 hours, stable mood.

Setting: At home, no company, comfortable.

Dose: 500mg wrapped in slightly chewed gum.

Route of Administration: Chewed for 15 min mixed with gum.

Duration of Main Effects: 2.5hrs

Side Effects: Slight tiredness, possibly contributed to a bout of soft stool/diarrhea. Mild RLS, small headache.

After Effects: Reserved for later

Rating: 3/5

Abuse Potential: Low

Other Info: Overall an interesting experience, subject will try again over the next few days upping the dose to 750mg. Subject is unsure if the plant met his expectations.

t+ 0:00 - 500mg of Kanna wrapped in gum and chewed. Flavor of the gum overwhelms any flavor of the Kanna, although there is a slight herbal tinge to the gum. As the Subject chews, some of the plant matter separates from the gum, making for a slightly grainy mouth feel, not very unpleasant.

t+ 0:15 - Subject stops chewing and examines the gum. Most of the plant matter has separated from the gum and was most likely swallowed with saliva, leaving small flecks of Kanna embedded in the gum. Less than 2%(estimation) of the original plant matter remains in the gum.

t+ 0:30 - Over the last 15 min the subject spent time trying to determine if he was feeling any effects. Subject is slightly intoxicated at the moment, he finds that he is more easily able to "zone out" while staring at the television. Concentration is slightly impaired as he finds it takes more focus that usual to update his notes on this experience. He has not noticed any elevated heart rate, his appetite does seem to be suppressed as he has not had breakfast yet and it has been well over 5 hours since he woke up.

t+ 0:45 - Subject needs to go grocery shopping. The effects of the Kanna have not become more pronounced. There is a slight background intoxication, he does not feel overly stimulated. He is relaxed and not anxious. He has slightly elevated mood.

t+ 2:00 - It has been 2 hours since the subject began to chew the Kanna. He went grocery shopping, and is now back at home. He ate a small chicken sandwich, and drank half of a bottle of beer. He did not notice any impaired judgement or movement while driving his car, and was able to shop without incident. The somewhat slightly stimulating feeling the subject experienced is slowly fading. This could be due to the beer. He feels the main effects are in decline.

t+ 4:00 Most noticeable effects are gone. Subject is relaxed, slight RLS, but the subject normally suffers from this disorder. Subject has a small headache.

6. Shanty

Shanty Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Male
    170lbs

The following is brief reports on several different occasions of use of Kanna. The experiments were done over a two years ago, so forgive the vague details.

1)
    Snorted.
    What is thought to be a small amount. Pain in the nose, this stuff is not easy on the nasal passage.
    Effect: A tingling sensation of the skin. Like a small dose of MDMA. More talkative, happier, a "warm feeling" in the heart.
    Come down: Relaxed feeling
    Duration: Come up to peak, appx 30 mins, afterglow to an hour

2) Snorted a larger amount. Much pain in the nasal passage. Headache. The pain really dulled out any good sensation.

3) Smoked a cigarrete of just kanna. Doesnt burn very well. Slight pain in the head. Felt a little different. Similar but much milder than snorting.

4) MIXED some kanna with some cannabis. A great synergy. The two words swim can describe it is, Silvery, and Funny. For a good 30 min the high was very energetic. Happy, and giddy. Where as cannabis usually makes me lazy. After the 30 mins the high was just happy and feel good.

5) Used it as a quid, which is the traditional method. Decided I didnt like the taste and got rid of it. Sorry.

6) Smoked a large amount of it. Head ache, felt crappy.

7) Smoked some in a joint of Kanna and Damiana: felt a high similar to that of smoking a puff or two of low grade cannabis. Pleasant.

Abuse Potential: LOW

Medicinal Potential: Has a possibility to be used for mood elevation.

Overall: Wonderful to mix with pot, but not something I would do all the time, maybe whip it out at a special occasion. By it's self, snorting seems to be the most effective, but only in SMALL amounts, repeated dosage doesnt seem to do any good. It's worth looking into it for oral usage. It does seem to synergize well with damiana as well.

Mixing it with alcohol may give headache. It may weaken the effects of MDMA and LSD.

It is to be noted that in my experience Kanna is best enjoyed in small amounts. Small amounts seem to get the best effect.

7. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My old smell hound Geech has used kanna quite extensively for the past several months, and he is ready to give his report. Here are a few experiences:

Subject: Geech (Kentucky Smell Hound)
    Route of administration: Chewed/sublingual

This was copied from Geech's journal:

Note: Aug 28, 2012- Experience with kanna today: Took a decent sized pinch (probably around 250 mg+) as soon as I got up (9am). Moderately strong effects that included mild euphoria, mood boost and relaxation lasted approx 2 hours or so. Another smaller dose (150 mg) was taken at about 1pm and went to workout afterwards. A very noticeable stimulant effect was present when working out. Mood stayed elevated for several hours afterward.

Note: Aug 31, 2012 (pm) – Nothing to note in am hours. Took larger than usual (maybe 250 – 300 mg) evening dose early, at about 4:00 pm. Had distinct period of mild euphoria and sense of well-being that lasted about 1 hour, followed by sedation, tiredness, pressure behind the eyes. The sedation/tiredness was strong enough that it was necessary to lie down for a little while.

-Oct 24, 2012 – After a stressful commute, I took a medium-sized dose (200 – 250 mg) of kanna on an empty stomach. No euphoria was noticed. The effects noted were relaxation, a “peaceful” feeling, increased communication with spouse and appetite suppression. No negative effects noted.

-Oct 30, 2012 – I was feeling “on edge”, a little anxious and unsettled. I took a medium sized dose of kanna (200mg or so) chewed. I followed this about 30 minutes later with 1 joint of damiana and kanna. The joint was mostly damiana with some kanna on top (maybe 70 – 100 mg). The effects noted after the joint were immediate “spacey” feeling that went away quickly, followed by pressure behind the eyes and nose and tiredness/sedation. These sensations passed within 10 minutes and were not unpleasant. Within 1 hour of the original oral dose, I had a “peaceful” feeling come over me. No euphoria, but just a general sense of well-being and calmness. It was not a strong effect, but noticeable. I have come to the conclusion that smoked kanna does not really have much of a positive effect on me, and oral/chewed administration is the most effective so far. Appetite suppression was also present as usual with kanna.

Geech's conclusions are as follows:

Kanna always has the following effects:
    1. Anti-anxiety
    2. Mood elevation (usually mild, but can be strong dependent on dose and setting)
    3. Appetite suppression

Kanna SOMETIMES has the following effects:
    1. Euphoria (mild - moderate)
    2. Sense of well-being, peacefulness
    3. Sense of closeness with, and appreciation for nature
    4. Enhanced appreciation of music
    5. Stimulant effect - boosts energy, makes you want to move, dance, etc.
    6. Sedative effect - sometimes follows the stimulant effect, makes you tired and sleepy
    7. Increased mental and physical stamina

Negative effects:
    Geech has not noted many negative effects, but a couple are worth mentioning-
    1. A spacey, "zoned out" type feeling soon after taking kanna, usually passes within 10 minutes
    2. Mild increase in anxiety/agitation that sometimes occurs soon after administration, always goes away quickly, usually within 15 minutes
    3. Tiredness/sedation following a larger dose of kanna

Duration of main effects:

With sublingual/chewed administration, the strongest effects seem to last 2 - 4 hours, tapering off after that. Stronger doses produce a more immediate effect, sometimes followed by sedation. Geech has noticed an "after glow" - some positive effects such as mood elevation can last up to 24 hours. Setting also matters. Geech has found more positive effects when taking kanna in a relaxed, positive environment and the most positive effects when experienced out in nature (i.e. taking a walk, at the beach, etc.)

Rating: As a recreational substance 3/5 stars. As a therapeutic (anti-anxiety, anti-stress, anti-depressant) substance - 5/5 stars.

Abuse potential: LOW

Cousin Merle added 29 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Sorry, I was not able to edit my original post and I wanted to add a few things:

First of all, Geech reports that kanna has more of a noticeable effect when one is feeling crappy mentally (tired, anxious, depressed, etc.). When feeling like this, kanna almost always produces an noticeable mood-lift and boost. On the other hand, at least with low-moderate doses, the effects of kanna are not as strong is one is already feeling good mentally. So if someone is interested in trying kanna, here are a few tips:
    1. Buy the traditionally fermented dried plant from a reputable vendor
    2. Take on an empty stomach - it does not work well on a full stomach
    3. If no effects are noted, the dose may not be high enough
    4. If one is already feeling good mentally, and just wants to get "high", try something other than kanna

Geech also forgot to mention about doses. For Geech, these are the dose ranges for sublingual/chewed administration:

mild: 100 - 150mg
    medium: 200 - 300mg
    strong: 350 + mg

Geech has never taken more than 400mg in one sitting, though according to many sources, much higher doses may be taken.

Other notes:

Geech feels that kanna enhances the effects of alcohol. Here is a note I copied from his journal:

Note: Sept 12, 2012 – Further evidence that kanna interacts with alcohol. I took 150 mg of the 5/1 standardized extract powder in the early afternoon. I followed that with 3 standard drinks over the course of 1.5 hours. Euphoria was pronounced, and effects of kanna pronounced (mood elevation, appreciation of music, appreciation of nature). These effects were very noticeable and lasted quite a long time- for several hours. Euphoric effects of alcohol were as if 6 or 7 drinks were consumed as opposed to 3.

Geech has noted a synergy with alcohol on other occasions as well. No negative interactions noted.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  8. MachoManSavage

MachoManSavage Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I am 175 pounds, male. Took 400 mgs orally, then after an hour or so snorted 200 mgs. I took it on the way to school where I was hanging out with buddies.

Kanna makes me feel very distant. I don't feel any love or empathy (opposite of herbs like kratom). Kanna is cold. I can see why it can be used for depression, it basically strips my soul from good and bad. I don't experience any euphoria, more of a trance like effect where I zone out. I feel somewhat nauseas, and have no appetite. Hanging out with friends was a drag, I didn't feel like myself. I felt like someone else. I wasn't able to make good jokes.

I see use in kanna. It reminds me of my time with citalopram, which I didn't enjoy, but some people may need it. I do suffer from serious depression, but this isn't my cure. Kratom is much more helpful in coping with depression (maybe because I get nice and high, maybe because it actually has some alkaloids to help, I don't know).

Is kanna fun? Nope. Is kanna euphoric? Nope. Is kanna useful in some cases of depression or anxiety? It's possible. I read reports of people really enjoying this drug, and I just can't seem to enjoy it. I'll be throwing out the 14 grams I purchased, because this isn't something I can see myself enjoying. Maybe I'll give it one more shot tomorrow.

9. Brill

Brill Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    210 lbs, male.

Have used kanna orally, sublingually more or less (it is a powdery stuff so you end up chewing it, which is how it is done traditionally). 1/4tsp dry measure.

I experienced a bit of disengagement- previous poster referred to as "cold", it was more of a kind of distancing for me, and there was also a measure of alertness. Was definitely less worried about things, and felt some subtle swells of happiness/mood elevation. Tended not to brood/imagine/fantasize as much as I usually do-- felt kind of shallow, actually. Effects lasted for much less than an hour.

I found this more pleasant for the most part. It has none of the jaggedness of a cup of coffee, this amount didn't impair or hinder functioning. My understanding is that it is used by South African herdsmen traditionally, and I could see where it helps that kind of 'keeping watch' activity.

10. Rob Cypher

Rob Cypher Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I dunno...this stuff sounds like a weak SSRI or something related to St. John's Wart. Is this stuff actually worth pursuing for nootropic or anxiety relief purposes, or is it so subtle that it could easily be placebo? Kinda dubious about it right now and not sure if I want to use my meager resources to try it as a supplement.

11. Cousin Merle

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I actually found it to be quite powerful, definetly not placebo. WAY more powerful than St. John's Wort. I understand that everyone's results may vary, but for anxiety I found that it was just as powerful as xanax. I had the best results with kanna that has been traditionally fermented. And you have to take enough of it, and the results can vary sometimes. Probably because the amount of active ingredients vary between batches, and within batches - a common problem with ethnobotanicals.

If you do not notice any anti-anxiety effects, then it is bad kanna or you are not taking enough of it. I had a couple batches that were potent when taking doses in the 250 mg range, but with another batch I had to take more. Some people take up to 2 grams at a time, so I wouldn't worry about overdoing it that much. The times I took a bit too much, I ended up in a semi-euphoric, energetic but peaceful state for and hour or two, then I would get extremely tired and need to lie down for a nap.

12. Rob Cypher

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You probably shouldn't take these with SSRIs, should you?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  13. Cousin Merle

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I would not take kanna with any SSRI's. Kanna is much more powerful than Saint John's Wort, and there have been several studies that show that kanna is a powerful SRI (serotonin reuptake inhibitor - not as "selective", therefore not an "SSRI"). In any case, I think combining kanna with an SSRI is a really bad idea.

I have combined kanna with other non-SSRI psychiatric meds with no problems, however.

14. Rob Cypher

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Apparently it is more like the SSRIs than I presumed, from what a friend told me. It's making him a little more sociable, although he's getting some of the less desirable effects of the SSRIs as well (a feeling of restlessness at times, mainly).

I wonder if it can cause negative sexual effects like SSRIs (ie, anorgasmia). Does anyone know? That might be a deal-breaker, as they say.

15. Cousin Merle

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I found that kanna boosted sex if anything. It certainly didn't dampen things at all. I would not directly compare kanna to an SSRI though - it may have similar effects on the brain, but I found it very different in terms of the subjective effects. The latest thought is that kanna works more through its PDE4 inhibition, though no one really knows.

16. Rob Cypher

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend doesn't recommend it for me anymore; he said he had to stop after a few days due to increased anxiety at 300mg (in capsule form from a business he bought it from). Wasn't really interested in smoking it, although he knows somebody who does that and likes it. It did have some anti-depressant effects that reminded him of a SSRI or two he's had in the past, though.

So he suggested I just wait until I see the doctor in a couple of weeks and ask for Prozac. Sounds like a good idea.

17. juggalotweeker17

juggalotweeker17 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    24 y/o from U.S.A.
    weight 160 lbs.
    route rectally.

300mg of kanna was steeped in 3 syringe fulls of extremely hot water until the color was a clear greenish and cool enough for anal injection. the syringe was then filled and inserted back to back to back and held in until absorbed.

after about three minuets caffeine rush stimulation and EXTREME euphoria and dizzyness was noticed there was difficulty standing and tracers in vision. after about 10 minuets the rush subsided into moderate euphoria and mood elevation that lasted about 45 minuets.

the crash was not all that bad a single puff of some oregano mixed with 100 mgs of kanna cured the hangover and revived the high for about an hour or so.

abuse potential: very high

18. bretted432

bretted432 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from Canada
    I'm 160, rolled ~150mg into a cigarette, and smoked it with tobacco. Honestly, it made me feel pretty spacey and not very pleasant. Maybe my dosage was off?

19. Barkuti

Barkuti Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from spain
    Mmm, really nice and interesting to have found a report involving rectal administration of kanna. juggalotweeker17, your reported effects somewhat match my predictions, thank you. Did you filtered your infusion soup before administration?
    I'm going to have some of this material available in a handful of days. Planning on some indulgements with it, if it's worth the shite…

Cheers everyone

20. unkowneffects

unkowneffects Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The first I became aware of Kanna was the last ingridiant in a supplement called Gabbatrol. It only gives the overall amount of all the ingridants combined. When I take in higher doses, I notice feeling more happy, and bothered by less. In recommended doses it only makes me feel less anxious, and irritable. I decide to try kanna isolated, as I thought that's what I thought was effecting me. It may be making it harder to focus, and also making me more avoidant. I notice I'm more content for no reason, and don't want to bother with anything. Although I'm trying to take a break from it, but feeling completely down. I snored every day, for probably a little less than a month. Is it the kanna, or am I just in a rut?