1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Effects - Kava-Kava or Kratom

Discussion in 'Kava-Kava' started by onthewater, Apr 29, 2012.

1. onthewater

onthewater Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    Hi, here is Canada we're not allowed to have alcohol on boats EVEN FOR PASSENGERS, Kava-Kava or Kratom have been suggested (tired of pot).

Which is the better trip? Is one more "social" then the other?

There will be a 100% sober driver in the boat.

2. sweetleaf64

sweetleaf64 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Kava is pretty close to alcohol, although it's still a different experience.
    Kratom is very opiate like.

So if you are looking for an alcohol substitute, then you should look into kava. My friend just can't stand the taste and he doesn't really like the numbing of the mouth.

3. Teknicality

Teknicality Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    If you're looking for more of a trip. I would also recommend kava because kratom is a full on opiate stone. If you want to be taking it around other people I would also have to choose kava over kratom because some people thumb their noses at opiates. Also as far as anti-axitey goes kava is pretty great. Take too much and the same thing happens as with kratom I suppose.

aka getting stoned

4. MachoManSavage

MachoManSavage Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    As a former kratom addict, I rec. Kratom. It's much more euphoric and enjoyable to me.

That said, kava is very alcohol like in nature, just with bad taste (I think booze taste delish most of the time). It can prehaps be more 'fun' for a group, but in terms of feeling good, kratom wins.

5. Karmageddon

Karmageddon Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    My vote goes to kava due to its social nature and that it has a traditional use of being used at gatherings, parties, etc. For me, it's a good substitute for alcohol but unlike alcohol, it doesn't cause people to act stupid and make jackasses of themselves. Never tried kratom and due to its potential for addiction and my potential to vomit everywhere from the horrible taste and possible stomach upset, I'm not planning on trying so I guess I'm a little biased.

6. Mr Gregoire

Mr Gregoire Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    use both at the same time! they are both extremely social drugs, to me anyways. don't crash though.

7. Shaldares

Shaldares Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I agree with the above poster. My cats have been using both together for quite some time now, and have been pleased. Just take down the doses from both a little bit, or you may wind up vomiting a bit, like one of my cats did the first day before the scale came in the mail =) . If you have never tried either before, and are looking to mix them, they would suggest consuming the kratom first, and take between 2 and 3 grams, then make a kava drink containing between 1 and 1.5 tablespoons of kava, then wait for about half an hour to an hour to evaluate the effects and how your stomach feels before taking more.

Note: For the herbs they were evaluating, 1/2 teaspoon of kratom was approximately 1.5 grams, assuming their memories are better than mine is. Different grinds, vendors, types, and consistencies may vary in weight, however.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  8. RX420

RX420 Banned

Reputation Points:
    Male from zimbabwe
    both taken together are what seems to really add a nice fx.

9. profesor

profesor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Colorado, U.S.A.
    I respectfully disagree. Maeng Da grade or even regular Thai, when less than 5 grams ingested, is stimulating. Not like a synthetic stim, but enough to erase any tiredness. I don't use "enhanced" leaf because of greater likelihood of addiction.
    I use such low doses several times a week because unlike with caffeine, it doesn't create problems going to sleep at night.
    I have not tried kava yet, since kratom does what I want.

10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I'll do my best to respond. I'm by no means a kava expert, but have ingested enough of it to be familiar. Kava is both relaxing and numbing. More like a Benzo than an opiate for sure. I like it. But I prefer kratom (of which I've been hopelessly addicted for over 2 years LOL!) It is much more opiate like and gives me more of a sense of well-being, even with my tolerance. I really don't like the comparisons to Hydro that much because it is more uplifting than it is narco. Hydo is definitely better for severe pain (I'm talking plain leaf, NOT extract). They are different like kratom & kava are different. I honestly prefer top-shelf kratom (TMD or TOP-grade Bali (triple-sifted), or RVT to even Hydro, let alone kava. IMO neither kava nor kratom are really recreational drugs, just good WELL-BEING substances. Not to mention, cheap, all-natural, and no RX required!

11. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o Male from ireland
    I understand that this is an old thread but i should make a few points.
    Yes, i agree that kratom and kava are very different.
    Kratom is an opiod receptor agonist and when abused can be just as addictive as certain opiate medications. It is certainly recreational, dose dependent.
    When using it in low doses with a few days off in between doses it has a lot to offer people for pain and energy/sedation (depending on strain)

All natural does not = safe.
    Opium, datura, mushrooms etc are all natural, and all have varying levels of safety from very safe to extremely dangerous.

Kratoms legality depends entirely on where you live.
    It is illegal in several European country's as well as Indonesian and more recently it has become illegal in Indiana in the US and it is looking like more states will follow suit soon.

Terms like 'triple sifted' dont really mean anything. Its just a marketing term like those given to other drugs, for example 'double dipped' with LSD.
    Sieving kratom only ensures it is of a certain grade of size. It is not any form of quality control or an indication of potency. Finly powdered kratom usually means it has stems and veins removed, which to be honest is something all good vendors practice as they (S&V) only contain about a third of the alkaloid content of the rest of the leaf.
    Sifting it 3 times seems pretty pointless, other than to do it for the sake of saying they did it.

Top-Grade is equally ambiguous.
    Unless a vendor can offer a lab report showing actual alkaloid content of that specific batch compared to the other batches then it just sounds like a nice way to flog off a batch of kratom that may or may not be any better that other batches.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  12. donkeyhung

donkeyhung Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I would disagree when u say kratom is an opiod...Not at all

13. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o Male from ireland
    Kratom is an opioid receptor agonist.
    Ive edited to suit. :)