1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Combinations - Kava-kava to Enhance the Psychedelic Experience

Discussion in 'Kava-Kava' started by psyche, Apr 11, 2007.

1. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    For SWIM, mushrooms(and psychedelics in general) are the most glorious experience, but he experiences some anxiety during the come up. It is related to a slight physical discomfort, including tightness of muscles, shortness of breath, the chills, a feeling that blood escapes your head and so forth. But there is also a bit of anxiety due to the pure anticipation of a heavy trip.
    I have to first say that SWIM has yet no experience with kava-kava, but from reading about it's unique effects, it occured to him that this could be perfect drug to ease the trip; not too strong on it's own and great mental relaxation and contentness. A minus side would be that it might cause slight gastrical discomfort, which already bothers SWIM with mushrooms. Also, I'm not sure I'd let SWIM combine kava-kava with a MAOI, considering to use during an ayahuasca session, since it's a sedative.

Has any SWIYs experimented with a combination of kava-kava and psychedelics?

2. Bajeda

Bajeda Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Re: Kava to reduce anxiety of psychedelics

I've seen reports of Kava mixed with LSD and LSA - Kava Flipping of course :p - that were quite positive. It seems that the euphoric aspect of the experience is extremely enhanced.

Also heard of Salvia Divinorum experiences being much more enjoyable when Kava is mixed in.

I am extremely interested in exploration of Kava's potential to enhance psychedelic experiences, but unfortunately swim squandered his Kava supply on other various occaisions and never got to really experiment with this. Maybe after 5-6 months swim will have the opportunity to look at this further.

The anxiolytic and euphoric effects of Kava seem like they would mix quite well with a psychedelic experience, and maybe produce other interesting results. Kava is mildly psychedelic at higher doses, or at least on some occaisions. Swim has experienced this personally. One should be careful to taper down collective dosages while attempting research in this area as you never know what synergy can produce.

If any one has any experiences with using Kava as an adjunct to psychedelics please share, as myself and others would love to hear them.

3. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    Re: Kava to reduce anxiety of psychedelics

Here are some interesting experiences from mixing Kava with various substances. There aren't many reports available, but I thought these would be useful within the context of the thread.

Thats about all the good stuff I could find. If anyone has personal experiences they could share it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  4. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Kava to Enhance the Psychedelic Experience

All of the experiences posted seem really positive. It seems, like I imagined, only 1 capsule(which isn't very potent way of consuming, as I've understood) helps to totally calm the mind and be brave to face the experience and enjoy it. Kava relaxes the mind with minimal confusion, and some claim having (strong) nootropic effects from kava, which would be optimal for psychedelic journey. SWIM's really eager to try this combo after reading those reports. Cannabis & Kava might also be most joyous experience since both of the drugs go well in combination with almost any other drug. It feels like there's some common bliss-component to both of them that might be synergised and the sedative properties certainly would be.

With the mushrooms SWIM will be receiving a ½gram vial of 10x salvia, and kava seems to be very fitting for that experience, since SWIM thinks he has never had a full breakthrough, not even on 12g mimosa ayahuasca mixture. Sally D is totally different from conventional psychedelics and less likely to be enjoyable so kava might be especially useful.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  5. Bajeda

Reputation Points:

Just keep in mind that it seems like you want to use a lower dose of Kava than normal, so it would be better to start out cautiously with these combinations. I would aim for an axiolytic but not quite euphoric dose of Kava to start off with, then after seeing how that works out in combinations maybe raising it.

6. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

Sure, It was SWIMs aim in the first place to use it as a treshold dose for anxiolytic effects. He doesn't wan't it to interfere too much with the trip, but he might be later experimenting with higher doses for extra-euphoric journey.

7. Bajeda

Reputation Points:

As it didn't quite fit into the other thread.... Did swiy ever get to testing the Salvia with a Kava complement?

8. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

Nah, the customs intervention took place so he hasn't got salvia. Nor he has kava for that matter, customs took that package too. Both are illegal to import, even though neither are actually illegal. Now he thinks he is on some sort of watchlist of customs, do they really have such things? Being worried about that he ordered the promised free replacement(his order changed to contain kratom for the money) for the package in customs to his grandma's address :) Even though it should be completely legal, customs didn't give that to him when another package of his was busted some years ago, so figured grandma is the surefire way to go.

9. ChocolateMilk420

ChocolateMilk420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I realize this is an old thread but I'd like to add an experience as I havent seen this particular combo anywhere else. I ate 500mg (70% kavalactones extract) 30 minutes before dropping 1 (100ug) LSD tab. I always feel very anxious and restless during the comeup, but (due to the kava) this was the absolute smoothest acid comeup I had ever experienced. Only postives during the comeup. Also one of the most, how do I describe this, care free trips I had ever had. Most trips I usually end up overthinking things and feeling muscle tension, but on this trip I experienced NONE of this. Was the best trip I ever had. One other thing I would like to add, during the peek I decided to smoke a bowl of the kavalactones extract (it was a pasty yet kind of hard substance, similar to resin in texture, so I had to mix a little tobacco to get it to properly burn). I'm not sure why but it enhanced the visuals like CRAZY. I had the visuals of 1 1/2 tabs for about 30 minutes after smoking it then it gradually went back down to the normal visuals of one tab.
    After this experience, I will only trip when I have kava, normally there was always like a 20% possibility of havinf a bad trip, but on Kava I am pretty much guaranteed to have a good trip, and for $2 a dose, I can increase my trip during the peak by 50%. Amazing.

10. Sufficiently Sedated

Sufficiently Sedated Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Wow this thread is nearly 10 years old!

I'll add that kava may aid in anxiety reduction, but may also induce nausea, which in my opinion can thoroughly ruin a trip.. If I'm gonna do high dose shroom/LSD/2C-X trip I will use a low dose benzo, obviously benzos are addictive etc.. dont do it and all that.. but honestly there wont be any added nausea and there'll be no anxiety on the come up..

Ive tried kratom before shrooms to reduce anxiety, I projectile vomited, an expensive waste.. Basically in my opinion when on psychedelics try take as little other substances as possible, or at least in moderate doses, because overthinking what is inside your body while tripping can also ruin it..