Effects - Kava Kava to replace benzodiazepines?

Discussion in 'Kava-Kava' started by oggy, Aug 30, 2006.

1. oggy

oggy R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    Would Kava Kava work to replace benzodiazepines? I suffer from anxiety and can not take benzo's anymore, could he replace them with kava kava and notice a similar effect?

How much would one need for the same anti anxiety effects? Also can kava been cost efficient?

2. oggy

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    Swim just made an order of the folowing. Do you think Swim will have some fun with these products?

Kava Elixir - Kava Root 5x (1 oz)
    Kavalactone 84% - Liquigels (60)
    Mahakea Kava Kava Kit 2-person serving of our favorite Kava Kava recipe.
    Kavalactone 70% Paste 1/2oz 25 pea sized servings

For about the same price I could have got 360 caps of 30% kavalactones, 75mg = 27000mg
    KAVA KAVA 250mg = 90000mg

What would Swiy's have rather had?

3. oggy

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    Hello Swiy's any input?

4. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    In SWIM's opinion... unfortunately no. Kava Kava is too short acting compared to many benzos, for one thing. For another, Kava quality varies wildly depending on seller, variety, age, storage, etc. Finally, the better preparations actually need formal preparing with Kava roots... some people just eat standardized extract capsules, but the results can be unpredictable. It's possible that the liver problems associated with Kava may be due to herb manufacturers taking ill advised price shortcuts like using Kava stems/leaves (reported to contain a liver toxin).

Yep, probably that much. In SWIM's opinion, Kava would be a potential addition to a much fuller arsenal of ethnobotanicals that could then start to replace benzos more effectively.