Culture - Keg Parties

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by WrtngCocaineTutorial, Jul 28, 2006.

1. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    fun to see in movies.,but never heard of any ppl who've had one themselves.
    I live in europe, and hasn't had one, nor had friends who's had..

where do you live? And are keg parties normal there?

2. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    keggers (as they r called) are as common as weed in amsterdamn here in the US. In college aswell as illegally in High school(though I would know nothing about anything illegal) keggers can be a weekly event. Someone has an open house and a keg is a must, since buying that many cases can be quite expensive it is much more cost efficent. usually this is how we do it, 5 dollars at the door for a cup to get in, and that usually pays for the keg easily and makes a good deal of profit. I live in pa but everywhere in the US keggers are common, its a teenage/early 20s staple.

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    its true! keg parties are a quintessential part of american youth culture, transcending all barriers of race, class, and subculture. I used to live in a more affluent city some time ago, and in order to gain admission to a keg party, one simply had to show up, and no money was required or asked. simly one's presence there was enough to be welcome to drink. I has honestly never had a bad time at one, its a good way to meet people quite different than one's self and an easy way to get a buzz going if one doesnt have anything else to do on a friday night...although the cleanup can be a bit of a hassle if the party's yours =]

4. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Here in swim part of Texas, they call them pasture parties. Usually they will print out maps how to get there. Back in my youth, they were fun, plus you could always stumble on some mushrooms, if you was lucky.

5. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    keg parties are a necessity. think about... kegs of beer... a party... how can you go wrong with that combo? plus its profittable. 5$ a cup to drink all night X 100 people = 500$... it gets profittable quick when they get bigger. thats probably illegal somehow so let me just throw it out there that that is not something i do.
    :beer

:joint:

6. Metternich

Metternich Newbie

Reputation Points:
    oh yes. nothing brings people together like a kegger. where I live they're often free though, but it's courtesy to put some change in the donations cup. but because they're free you've got to get there (kinda) early or else all kegs are tapped out by 11:30 and then it's a matter of finding out where the next party is.

7. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    5usd per person. whoa. that's cheap:D :D

know how much does a keg goes for?

I see keg's are allowed in germany too,

8. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    haha through some means of pavlovian conditioning, I am afraid to list the price of a keg...

but a keg price can vary widely, it all depends on the quality of the beer. 70 to 150 usd sounds about right.

hopefully what i just said wasnt against the rules...i figure since alcohol is legal everywhere itd be okay, but mods please contact me if its not and i will obligingly change my post =]

9. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from antigua_and_barbuda
    I live in Los angeles county and go to highschool parties with my friends weekly...

Its pretty rare for me to see a keg party where kegs are the main source of acohol... there might be a small one that a few people use but 90% of peeps breing their own drinks (mostly hard liquor)

10. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am currently at University in the US and goes to keg parties two to three times a week! They are quite popular as they are a cheap affordable way to get beer (cheap is key for college students) and they allow underaged people to drink and socialize with little way of getting caught (this is in college though, not high school).

They also provide the opportunity for fun things like keg stands!! Swim loves keg stands. If drinking alcohol regularly is like speed then keg stands are like injecting liquid crack while freebasing simultaneously! Swim's record is currently 56 seconds, though he hopes to break 1 minute next year.

11. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    ^^^swibajeda sounds like a pretty fun guy to party with, ha ha.

there is a point that should be mentioned that keg parties are definitely more popular in college towns or major cities with alot of colleges in close proximity. in areas like LA, oftentimes people have smaller apartments as opposed to houses, so there's less room for a keg and a bunch of people drinking. in that kind of situation, you're sure to see more hard alcohol and fewer people at a party instead.

it was mentioned that keg parties happen in germany too. are they popular there? or is it something thats mainly relegated to a few cities or universities? I am curious about this.

12. GikdUp

GikdUp Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Ah!....A kegger me and my boys was throwing keggers all summer music,women,beer you can't beat that one thing no keg stands we used
    to do that when we was younger but now hell no gettin to old for that shit

13. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well, kegger season started up again as of a few months ago. It hasn't been too bad. Too much real shitty beer though.

To anyone who has drank alot of keg beer, what do you prefer?

I went to a party with Killians a few weeks back which was pretty good, though hard for keg stands. He has had more PBR this year and still likes it actually though some people get picky with it. Labatte kegs are sweet, but not enough people get them. And Keystone Light is one of swim's favourite cheap keg beers (with the options being Natty, Natty Ice, Busch, and *shudder* the beast aka Milwauke's Best) as it goes down like liquid candy and is great for pong/chuggins/kegstands.

Also, in case anyone here does it, please don't get Miller if you are having a kegger! With the money people pay for Miller - which tastes like crap and is so incredibly foamy a keg stand will blow your stomach up - they could get a keg of decently good beer instead, or two kegs of a cheap one.

14. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i actually went to two halloween themed keggers the weekend before halloween. one of them had sierra nevada pale ale, which is probably the best beer i've ever gotten from a keg. and at $5 a cup, it wasn't too hard to get my money's worth :)

15. lilsteve

lilsteve Newbie

Reputation Points:
    mmmm Beirut/Beerpong :)

Kegs are really fun i used to belong to a fraternity at my small private university and we'd get two kegs and some handles and party all night. then we'd wake up with severe hangovers and kill them with that last hot, stale half of a keg. good times.

16. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    I remember drinking remnants out of a keg for a good week after a party at his house. The keg had been placed in the shower, and I was too lazy to move it, so he had to share it with the keg and drink its bountiful harvest while he bathed.

17. Senor Gribson

Senor Gribson Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    here in ottawa I have been to very few good kegers, theres several every weekend and they only cost $5-10, but they are always horribly over crowded (you have to push your way through a crowd to get anywhere) and the beer runs out way too quickly (usually 2 kegs).
    the best ones i've been to are the university engineering parties. they always have AT LEAST 2 kegs and a tub of mix drink, engineers and one friend each are allowed in ONLY, and usually someone in electrical or software will be dj'ing. the festivities include keg stands, boat races, beer pong, and flip cup. these end up more like the kegers in seen oh so many college movies than do the typical shitty kegers.
    the only problem is that we don't have nearly enough females in engineering and thus very few at the parties

18. sprackydoo

sprackydoo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    I went to a great many keggers (or actually they were at his house) this summer and played an insane amount of beer pong, (my record was winning 8 games in a row) once again no keg stands for him either. My fav keg beer seems to be budweiser. HOWEVER bud or miller lite is probably the nastiest piss water possible in a keg in swims opinion labatt is also disgusting.

19. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    In his college days I went to quite a few keg parties and had some good times, but keg parties really arent his "thing." All of the college parties he attended were free and there was always plenty of keg beer and liquor to go around. I have been to many keg parties that were not sponsored by any fraternity and the price is almost always $5. Sometimes they will be free, but most people try to make a little money or at least recover some of the funds. I amnt a huge drinker and his friends know this, so he normally tries to bargain with whoever throws the party and get a cup for like $3!

Keg parties can get old though believe it or not. The whole frat crowd and "lets get fucking trashed" crowd just doesnt appeal to SWIM very much.

Alcohol prices shouldnt be a problem but I remember his friends paying ~70$ for a keg of beer. You also have to pay a deposit for the tap and keg which you recover upon returning. I would like it much more if keg parties were replaced with sheets of lsd and tanks of nitrous parties. That would be a trip and a half.

20. sprackydoo

sprackydoo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    hehe and I thought he had enough blood on carpet/broken shit/holes in the walls etc.. from keggers. Could ONLY IMAGINE after a nitrous/lsd party!!!