Combinations - ketamine & Xanax; safe combination

Discussion in 'Ketamine' started by GForce, Feb 12, 2007.

1. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have a question question regarding to two. SWIM woke up this morning particularly not in the greatest of moods (and by morning he means 10pm because his sleep schedule was lost a long time ago) so he took a double dose of his Xanax medicaed (2mg x 2). He has also tried Ketamine recenetly via insuffulation and found it to be quite a wild experience. Well his friend with Ketamine is about to drop some more off so he was wondering if it would be safe to insuffulate (or at least oraly digest) ketamine when Xanax is already in his ystem. Please let me know guyd. Thanks.

2. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Illinois, U.S.A.
    Well both Ketamine and Xanax depress respiration so the risk is larger than either one alone. However both ketamine and benzos are safe even in large quantities, and in fact in veternary medicine ketamine is mixed with diazepam (valium, a xanax analog) in comparitavely much larger doses than you are going to use, and it rarely causes problems. There's very little reason to expect any complications with the exception of a greater proclivity towards amnesia. One of the common gripes of the ketamine experience is its so hard to take it back with you to sobriety, so adding the benzos with the addition amnesia may make the trip seem worthless.

"Ketamine-benzodiazepines (Midazolam or Diazepam) Ketamine may be combined with the benzodiazepines Midazolam or Diazepam in the same syringe to produce a deep level of sedation. In most cases, this sedation will require an inhalant agent or other anesthetic to achieve surgical anesthesia. In most applications, Midazolam is preferred, as it can be injected intramuscularly; intramuscular injection of propylene glycol (the carrier in injectable diazepam) can cause painful, sterile abscesses and is discouraged.
    Advantages: Advantages of ketamine-benzodiazepine combinations are that they may be combined in one syringe and will produce deep sedation with moderate analgesia as well as amnesia. Recovery from ketamine-midazolam is often smoother than recovery from ketamine alone.
    Disadvantages: Disadvantages of ketamine- benzodiazepine combinations are that they will not reliably reach surgical anesthesia in most cases. Diazepam should be restricted to intravenous or intraperitoneal use. Ketamine is a Class III controlled substance while the benzodiazepines are in Class IV"

http://www.iacuc.ucsf.edu/Proc/awA&A_DS.asp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  3. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Ketamine has a pretty small depressing effect on the respiratory system though, so I don't think the risk would increase significantly unless rather large amounts of both substances were taken. Its still something to consider though.

That seems like more of a reason to not mix the two recreationally.

4. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I went ahead and tried the combination. Had about 4-5mg of Alprazolam, hour or two later did two seperate k trips (probably around 100mg each insiffulated i would guess, enough to make SWIM feel really out of place and dissosiative) separated by an hour or so, and then once the final k trip edned he took 4mg alpazolam and is about to smoke a joint and call it a night. Overall good times but it was quite intesne.

Also took a swig of DXM recently because I feel as thought I might be developing a cough.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  5. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Update: Dunno if it was the DXM or the fact that he couldn't stop coughing but SWIM just booted everywhere but at least he doesn't have to cough anymore.

Update 2: He just woke up from what felt like a full night's sleep, which obviously wasn't. He thinks what did him in was a beer he had consumed probably 30-1hr before the DXM, and completely forgot about it. Anyways, he is gonna go back to bed and see if he can get some more sleep

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  6. arman

arman Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    WTF, 4-5mg Alprazolam!!!
    You has a lot of tolerance to alprazolam cuz normally one should be asleep 45mins after ingesting 4-5mg alprazolam.
    BTW, SWIM also tried some benzos along with K and it seems to be OK.