kicking bad habit : 5 months off oxycodone/cocaine and still experiencing withdrawal

Discussion in 'General Addiction discussion' started by kbfisher, Oct 16, 2006.

1. kbfisher

kbfisher Newbie

Reputation Points:
    my been having a pretty hard time...he was using oxys and coke pretty much every day for about 2 years...the worst part was the oxys around 8-10 80's a day...the physical part was awful even with methadone for 5 days he was sick as a dog for weeks..its been 5 months and his anxiety is still extremely awfukl and hard to cope with...he goes to cosmetology school and only have a hundred more hours left and poeople think because my been off em for so long im fine butnow is harder then it ever has been but I want to be able to concentrate and feel normal...swim dabbles with white here and there still and lately have been grabbing suboxones or benzos to ease it but doctors dont want to prescribe me cause theyre afraid swim'll get hooked...swim somtimtes even feel like muscklle aches and think its impossible swim still has em and dont knmow if its in my head..i dont know what to do cause im really trying not to go back but its juist getting harder and im afraid swim'll start using again...anyonme have any insite or recomendations??

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2006
  2. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    Re: kicking bad habit

When I went too jail they had no choice but too kick the habit, it was the worst 6 weeks of there life. The worst part I found was the sneezing fits, they never seemed to go away. Even after being clean for 12 months (no choice as I was still incarcerated) I would still get withdrawl symptoms for no aparent reason. It does get easier as time goes on. Also you could do too take a hobby or start doing something you really enjoy(not drugs), just be headstrong and do your best it will get easier.

3. artisian

artisian Silver Member

Reputation Points:

You could try using kratom to help ease the wd. I have heard of many people using kratom to help kick their hydrocodone addiction and thinks it would work for oxycodone too. As far as the coke goes I have heard of coke addicts drinking massive amounts of coca leaf tea to help with the cravings. Only problem with that is that coca leaves are illegal.

4. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:

Kratom would help with the withdrawal, but it does have an addictive potential all its own so be careful. I have used tramadol to taper down, it staves off withdrawal symptoms and someone with a high tolerance wont get much of a high from it, but it is also addictive and one runs the risk of seizures with it. Benzos, sleeping pills, alcohol, marijuana (not all at the same time though!) can help one get sleep. Benzos and marijuana, as well as some other "harder" drugs can help people socialize during the withdrawal period even when they'd usually be antisocial. DXM is good for helping the aches and pains of withdrawal, and even if its been a while for you, since You has been using suboxone maybe the opiates are not completely out of you's system. DXM also helps with the cravings after physical withdrawal is gone. Loperamide can help for the diarrhea also.

It's conceivable that You has beaten the physical addiction part, but that the psychological part is so profound that it creates apparent physical symptoms. The psychological aspect can take months to overcome, especially given usage that You says he/she was doing each day. There will be a residual depression for a while, and some discomfort and sleep disturbances that will last weeks. It will be tempting to take opiates "just one more time" during this period but DO NOT SUCCUMB TO THAT if You ever wants to get clean. Just be strong, ride it out, and try to stay active with work, school, friends, whatever helps keep you happy and busy, and pass the time. Stay away from places and people associated with taking drugs, as well. In some studies these have been shown to induce withdrawal symptoms in ex-users!! For more info check out the sticky threads in the recovery and addiction section.