1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Klonopin Help

Discussion in 'Drug testing discussion' started by CAnurse07, Jul 20, 2010.

1. CAnurse07

CAnurse07 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM took a half of a 0.5 mg Klonopin yesterday evening. No other drug use. What are the chance of it showing up in a 10 panel urine drug screen tomorrow?

2. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Clonazepam (the active ingredient in Klonopin) is not usually tested for. In addition, given the low dose and 2-3 days before the test, I think it's unlikely to show up.

For more detailed information on drug testing please see this sticky: Drug Testing - A Comprehensive Guide
    Relevant questions regarding drug testing may be posted there.

3. 9898cv

9898cv Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have a friend who has Tourettes Syndrome and takes clonopin,evrery day, 2 mg....took a drug test for home depot and passed.

4. CAnurse07

CAnurse07 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Even if it's a 10-panel test?

5. 9898cv

9898cv Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I dont know what a 10 panel test is, but clonopin,while a controlled substance, is an anticonvulsant....it isnt up there with medicines that are abused....u may want to search this site or google to see what they test for.

6. CAnurse07

CAnurse07 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Klonopin is a benzodiazepine which is one of the classes of drugs tested for on a 10-panel drug screen.

7. vyvanse50

vyvanse50 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If you have a script for it then its not a problem. Just tell your Dr. that the economy and being unemployed is really stressing you out or something. I don't know if I can say this on here but tell the Dr that xanax wears off too soon, and tell him Klonopins last longer in your system. (They do)

8. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    CAnurse7, it's possible clonazepam is an analyte in the test, but it's unlikely. Clonazepam is usually only in more comprehensive drug tests with 16 drug classes or more that are always confirmed on positives. Most likely, the 10-panel drug test in discussion here is a simple urinanalysis immunoassay panel which does NOT typically include clonazepam as an analyte.

Regardless, as I mentioned in my first post the dose and the time between dosing and testing is such that even if clonazepam is tested for, it may not even show up.

If it does show up as a positive, contesting the result and being sure it is sent for confirmation will likely result in the determination of a false positive. Clonazepam does not have many typical metabolites of benzodiazepines (as opposed to alprazolam/diazepam/oxazepam). Confirming benzodiazepines is no easy task especially when it's a less common benzodiazepine such as clonazepam.

Please let us know the results of this.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  9. fentanylrehab

fentanylrehab Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have taken hundreds of drug tests over the years(failing most of them).And for some reason klonopin ALMOST never makes me fail even when i take it the day before the test.I dont know why but its happened at least 10 times.But it has made me fail for too(for benzos).
    I would bet most of my money youll pass,but no guarantee.

10. CAnurse07

CAnurse07 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks everyone for your input. SWIM's been really stressed out over this. Going in this afternoon and will let SWIY know how it all turns out.

11. UpperAndDowner

UpperAndDowner Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    In Canada it's actually very differant. There are 4 differant Urine analyssis tests... and this info is 100% accurate, I got a faily meber that works with the results....

There is a:

Express Urine Drug Testing
    The first is a 5-panel express test. This tests for the following drugs: Amphetamines (including methanphetamines), Cannabinoids (Marijuana), Cocaine, Opiates (Codeine, Morphine, Heroin, Vicodin) and Phencyclidine (PCP). The results of an express drug test are instant. It is also important to note that the results of an express test are qualitative, meaning that the results are either a pass or fail, the level of drug in the body is not determined.

Lab Based Urine Drug TestingThe second option is to do a lab based urine drug test. This can be done in addition to the express test, or on its own. This type of testing provides a quantitative result, meaning that the levels of drugs in the body can be determined.
    When a urine drug test is being sent to the lab, the standard practice is to do a 5-panel screen, but there is an option to do a 6-panel, 10-panel or even 12-panel drug screen. The 6-panel screen separately tests for Amphetamine and Methamphetamine. That is the only difference from the 5-panel test. The 10-panel screen tests for the following drugs: Marijuana, Cocaine, Amphetamine, Methamphetamine, Phencyclidine, Benzodiazepines, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Methadone, Opiate, and Barbiturates. Lab results are generally available within 2-5 business days.

That information is 100% accurate at least in Canada. Which is normally very similar, if not identical to the U.S and even some UK drug tests.

Hope that helps answer your question.
    OH an also, 100% benzos will show on a 10 panel test... I have already had one done lol. and SWIM was on a short acting and fast half-life elimination benzo at the time such as Lorazepam.

Thus, for Clonazepam... well u did it last evening... so ya, sry mate but your 50/50 here... lol
    if it was the qualitative test, you might pass, but the 10 panel test, actually obtains quantity and .5 mg klonopin = 10 mg diazepam easily.

12. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    UpperAndDowner,

Firstly can you provide a source for this information? I need more info for the Drug Testing Sticky.

Also, I notice that you don't cite which specific analytes are included in those drug classes. What makes you think clonazepam is included in the benzodiazepine test?

I have no idea to what you are referring to. Clonazepam is a completely different drug than diazepam, they don't share any metabolites. Clonazepam is more potent so your doses are reasonable, but that really has no bearing on drug testing.

Also, to clarify the OP is in the United States, correct?

13. CAnurse07

CAnurse07 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well, SWIM only took 0.25 mg Monday evening, so here's hoping everything will work out.

14. UpperAndDowner

Reputation Points:
    Here's my source. It is the same company my brother's wife works at here in Canada; they have many diffarant offices here _______ (don't wanted to self-incriminate, so edited. sorry). She in fact emailed me the site where she obtained that information. I took it exactly from the site and SWIM has had previous drug screening both 10 panel and 5 panel. SWIM is a 100% sure it is accurate, but feel free to go over it yourself. I have PMed you the direct link.

Also, as your previous statement: "Also, I notice that you don't cite which specific analytes are included in those drug classes. What makes you think clonazepam is included in the benzodiazepine test?"

You have got to be kidding me. Clonazepam is most likely definitely tested for since the potential for abuse here in Canada has got to be much higher than any other benzo. It is easily obtainable here in Canada... So ask yourself this... Why would a drug test that tests for benzos in the first place neglect to test for one of the most potent benzos known to date? (asides from the obvious Xanax, Flunitrazepam (which is practically banned in almost most countries, I think we all know why...), Triazolam (prescribed only if patient who has history of eplipsy and seizures). And lastly, SWIM have also tested positive for this particular benzo ONLY on 2 different drug tests, a 5 panel and a 12 panel.

and as for this statement: "Clonazepam is a completely different drug than diazepam, they don't share any metabolites. Clonazepam is more potent so your doses are reasonable, but that really has no bearing on drug testing."

Your absolutely right about the metabolites, I was mistakingly confusing what I had read earlier. Some reason I was thinking about chlorodiazepoxide when I wrote that since I just recently came off of that...was naturally thinking about that... but you are right I actually throughly researched the metabolites of clonazepam... and you are right. Feel free to read the links I PMed you. :D

However, from experience tho, back when SWIM was on clonazepam and was tested, He took 2 mg tablet and was tested 2 days after and there was still a faint line on the drug screening test. The thinner and less visible the line on the test strip indicates that it was used later than as opposed to earlier to the drug testing date. The elimination half-life states 18-50 hours, but that's honestly dependable on many factors... like the persons age, gender, metabolism, and so on. That's why I wrote 50/50 chance that they might find it.
    but Lets hope not :p

And as for this comment: Also, to clarify the OP is in the United States, correct? I don't understand what the OP means here (sorry if I sound like a newbie... lol) and SWIM just gave information on how drugs are tested here in Canada. And that is 100% how they are tested for and what kinds of drugs are tested for. In the states, they might have a few adjustments to it... SWIM cannot comment on their way of doing things accross the boarder 100%... but SWIM def know it is true for the main part of their policy as well. (at least SWIM is relying on my brother's wife when she says this... psttt, she's a lab rat lol :p)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  15. CAnurse07

CAnurse07 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM had nearly clear urine. Guess too much water. Now SWIM will probably have to retest, but it should definitely be out of the system by then.

16. UpperAndDowner

Reputation Points:

Hahaha, don't you just love that? I am actually very happy for SWIM!:thumbsup: It happened to SWIM once when he was on methadone and the one week that he had to do a urine test, it barely showed on the strip... I think it has a lot to do with the elimination half-life. Like xanax is outa ur system the same freaking day lol...

ALL ABOUT THE HALF-LIFE ... PERIOD. Initially you would WANT the substance to leave the body faster, right? So... maybe stick to some xanax and u'll be MOST-LIKLEY clear on a drug test , just don't abuse em :D

Accumulation = Not soo good for drug tests,
    i.e: Diazepam, chlorodiazepoxide, and Clorazepate Dipotassium, Flurazepam and the newest (SWIM has not tried this 1... interesting..):Quazepam. (bet there are tons more, but SWIM hasn't come across any in CA).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  17. CAnurse07

CAnurse07 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Retesting tomorrow. Hoping the two extra days will help!

18. CAnurse07

CAnurse07 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Drug screen was negative. Thanks everyone for your help on this! :)

19. FloridaDeathTrip

FloridaDeathTrip

Reputation Points:
    Need some help guys..Trip took about 25-30 mg's of clonazepam and has a random dipstick probation test in 20 days.

A couple of questions..

Is there anything trip can drink or do to speed up the process of getting his urine clean in the next 20 days???Massive water flushes and cranberry juice??

And if trip was to test himself @ the 14 and 15 day mark with a dipstick benzo test and it tests negative for benzos is it safe to assume trip is clean???

I do apologize for the questions and I understand that it's a crap shoot just really freaked out about losing my freedom ...I'ma drug addict ...

Any sugestions please and thanks..

20. UpperAndDowner

Reputation Points:
    Wow, wow wow! Back that train for a sec here. Did I hear SWIY write 30 mgs of clonazepam? Hooollllly! I don't know what SWIY's tolerance is.. but 30 mgs... ummm, you sure? SWIM has taken upwards of up to 12 mgs at A time at times with heavy heavy tolerance but even then...

Anyhow, lets do the math as when it would be out of SWIY'S system, shall we?

But just wanted to let SWIY know that clearance rate of benzos and plasma blood concentrations vary a lot between person-to-person. So with that said this is the way I would try to see when it'll be out:

Clonazepam = 18-50 half-life. From SWIM's experience, he would always tend to notice of inter-dose withdrawals appear after about 22-26 hours for him.
    I don't know SWIY's age, physical shape and exercise (Daily? weekly? and what kind?), diet, other medications, ...etc. Hence, why I said it really depends on many factors and from person-to-person.

However, lets just say for this scenario that it takes 24 hours for a 2 mg dose to reach its half-life for SWIY. So, it 1 day; half of the original dose is gone. That's given (again, assumption...) you don't have any renal and hepatic deficiencies... (again, I am assessing SWIY's situation from SWIM's experience!).

SO, SWIY took 30 mg (again, maybe you meant to write he took 3 or even 13 gs?) but anyhow,... lets go with what you wrote and say the he took 30mg.

30 divided by half is 15 (24 hours later after 30 mg administration, the half-life dose is now 15mg...), then another 24 hours its 7.5mg, then 3.75mg, then 1.875mg, then 0.94mg and then after 0.47mg, than the metabolites become to small and negligible in the blood that IT WONT show on a standard urine panel test.
    SWIM knows this to be true since he had to do urine samples every week for 8 months when he went on methadone a while back.

So, ASSUMING SWIY is in great shape; excercises and drinks a lot of water. Also assuming because of these factors the elimination the half-life for SWIY is 24 hours.
    It is relatively safe to say it will be out of SWIY's system in: 6 to 10 days. 10 being the safe bracket here!

Wish that gives you an idea on how to figure out when it will be out of SWIY's system.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011