1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Combinations - Kratom and Alcohol, bad idea?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by opiegriffith, Nov 14, 2013.

1. opiegriffith

opiegriffith Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    Hello everyone,
    A few weeks ago my one eyed dog was telling me a pattern he realized every time he consumed alcohol while on his normal daily dose of kratom.

He is not really a heavy drinker anymore but used to drink quite a lot a few years back. He also has had a long standing addiction to opiates but has now gotten it under control down to a low dose of kratom twice daily and is happy and feeling good.

Back on topic though.

Every now and then he likes to go and have a few beers and shoot some pool or something like that with a few friends. He realized soon after a few weekends of horrible hangover that anytime he took his daily does of kratom (good high quality, not more than a couple grams) that after about 4 beers he was extremely intoxicated and if any more alcohol was consumed it would result in blacking out and not remembering the rest of the night.

Now he knows it is NEVER a smart idea to mix opiates and alcohol and he STRONGLY recommends that NO ONE attempts this (it may result in jail, injury or death) but 4 beers? In his past he would use high amounts of oxycodone and drink whiskey heavily, never had a problem with blackouts or anything like that.

He is wondering if kratom has a different affect when mixed with alcohol then oxycodone does or has his body chemistry simply changed and he just cant handle it anymore?

Has anyone else had similar previous experiences or just know then interaction chemisrty between the different combination?

thank you

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    While kratom can be quite potent it is a pretty delicate high and alsohol can mask the effects.
    Some people also report more nausea and puking from the combination while others report a nice synergy between the two drugs at low doses.
    The best advice is to take it slow and use both in low doses.
    Personally i often use alcohol to help me sleep after a day of kratom use but its not for everyone.
    I find that a nice alcohol extraction can produce great effects so long as you dont over do it.
    Have a look at this alcohol extraction, it tends to give more relaxing effects that a typical water extraction. https://drugs-forum.com/threads/158056

3. opiegriffith

opiegriffith Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    Thank you for the quick reply!

To be completely honest, my dog said he can do without using alcohol at all but doesnt want to give up the kratom. All alcohol does is make him quite sick anymore so that is gone.

Thee kratom resin extraction will definitely be on the top of the list of things to do though! he has had multiple different forms of kratom i.e (pure leaf, liquid extract, and powder) but the resin looks quite appealing. Reminds him almost of a BHO extraction minus the butane lol

thank you again!

4. rawbeer

rawbeer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Personally I really enjoy combining kratom and alcohol. I usually use smaller amounts, especially if I'm going to drink more than a couple drinks. 1.5-2.5g with several drinks, consumed slowly, is really nice for me, it potentiates both the drink and kratom so I use less of both. It also seems to prevent me from getting tired from drinking, like after a long day at work.

If I take 3g, and I rarely take more than that unless I'm actually using it medicinally like for a cold or an injury, I can't really go beyond 4 drinks or so, I'll get tired and spacey.

I will say that kratom can make my memory hazy when I combine it with drinking. I would never experience memory "fog" (not a blackout, just hazy memories) from less than 12 drinks unless I had taken kratom. If I have more than 8-9 drinks on kratom I get foggy.

Kratom seems to effect me in a different way than most people though. For one thing it usually lasts a lot longer for me, minimum 4 hours (except the few times I took Maeng da, which seemed to be strong but hort-lived). The good Green Malay I always take now lasts closer to 8 hours. I also never get nausea unless I take larger doses, but I don't like larger doses. I like the more energetic lower doses. The only time I ever got nausea was when I was very new to it and took 7g, then 7 more a few hours later. Got more than I bargained for that night!

I can't say I recommend doing what I do though. A couple of my friends, seeing how energetic and high-spirited I get when I take kratom and have a few beers, wanted to try for themselves. One passed out after raving about how awesome it was that he was sinking into my couch. The other time another guy just laid on the ground for several hours, saying "I guess kratom isn't for me." And I'd given them both like 1-2 g doses. I felt bad in both cases but they also insisted that they were adults who made the choice themselves and absolved me, for which I was thankful. I still feel kinds bad though...

Anyway for me low dose kratom with mild alcohol is great, but for most people it seems to turn out for the worst. I would certainly advise great caution.

5. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've had mixed results combining the two. I haven't had any severe reactions like you describe, however.

In general, I've found that taking the kratom first, and then having 1-2 drinks usually provides a nice synergistic, relaxing effect. Any more than 2 drinks and the alcohol starts of overpower the kratom buzz.

I have gotten nausea and headaches pretty bad from combing large amounts of alcohol (4+ drinks) with kratom. In general I have made it a rule not to combine the two because of this...

6. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've been through month long stages of alcoholism combined with my kratom addiction. I'm not trying to brag here but it really does nothing to me beside having me become intoxicated quicker than the people I'm with. I personally really enjoy the combination but liver bewarned you're in for a double whammy.

(I really have no clue if the liver is more damaged from combing these, just taking a shot in the dark)

7. ericmst18

ericmst18 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't think the two should mix at all, I've had a bad experience with Kratom just once. although i still partake in using it, 'Respectfully'. It was never my intention in the first place to abuse and over do it. But simply one time i took two doses that lead me to breath a lot slower and my heart rate dropped 20beats. This was enough to scare me into thinking i was going to die, i can't imagine mixing anything with kratom, that effects your Nerve System. just be safe man, thought id share that with you.

I believe the Kratom i had got was very strong, and wasn't ready for that surprise.

8. hemalitun

hemalitun Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i tend to prefer the opposite (alcohol first)-- a kratom tea, for example, following a ~2 drink buzz. not sure why.

w/r/t generally mixing the two: i haven't experienced anything drastic although it may help that i don't tend to drink very much at once (typically 1-2 drinks, at most maybe 4).

it's just something that you'll have to determine for yourself. start slow and stay safe