1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Health - Kratom as medicine

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by Panacee, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Panacee

Panacee Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I had acold this week. So normally the first night is a hell, with stuffed and running nose keeping him awake all night. Because of that the next day he is wasted, can't concentrate on his work or anything else. I didn't want this to happen this time and prepared some kratom. SWIM noticed the terrible cold-effect faded away. It didn't bother SWIM anymore. Could still feel he was ill, but much less. Then I went to bed, switched off his alarm, and woke up next morning at about 9:30. A whole night of quality sleep, no nose keeping him awake. I felt so good, went to work had a productive day and after he came home again he was almost completely healed. So it looked like the kratom to have cured a cold overnight (it was propably the deep sleep my body needed).

SWIM noticed earlier that kratom significantly takes away pain (had an infection), pain in the back, a headache and cured insomnia. I don't understand why kratom is not prescribed by physicians. Side-effects are acceptable (even fun).

Any-You has examples of when kratom has beneficial effects?

I would not take kratom when he is dead-sick, like when he has fever when having the flu or a really bad cold (or pneumonia) but in this case SWIM estimated it to be safe.

2. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    what swiyou is describing is totally in line with the traditional use of Kratom.
    there are some reasons to suspect a general immune system boosting action of certain alkaloids, common with uncaria tormentosa / cat's claw, along with the general relief comparable to that of a codeine cold medication.

3. Politicalchalk

Politicalchalk Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    In Western medicine anyways, it's unlikely for a doctor to prescribe a plant in general because of inconsistencies in titrating a dose. Medical grade marijuana is bred under specific conditions and a general potency range is assumed, but to Swim's knowledge, kratom is ordered and things like plant potency itself, storage and shipping conditions, possible contaminants, etc, would contribute. Not out of the question, however.

4. Frond

Frond Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Sir Tokesalot uses Kratom for pain relief. He suffered from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in his younger years and it's still going strong. He takes selective immuno-suppressants to keep it in check, but they don't work 100% of the time. Not too long ago he started using Kratom to combat pain in those periods and it works quite well.

I suppose he has more than adequate grounds to try and get medical marijuana, but he never liked the side-effects of pot. He rather likes having his short-term memory and ability to focus. Of course the wrong sort of Kratom makes him sick as hell, and the right sort is even more expensive, but what can a knight do...

5. Euthanatos93420

Euthanatos93420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Not to mention a plant doesn't give kickbacks from the pharmies because it could just as easily be grown by the user as purchased from the lab. Can't have free, healthy and independent people if you want world domination.

6. Kratom23

Kratom23 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Its a sad thing thing that Kratom is not appreciated more fir its incredible effects. So many people can lead pain free lives thanks to it.:thumbsup:

7. Euthanatos93420

Euthanatos93420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, if/when they ban Kratom. It will be a serious awakening. People will not hear the end of their eprsecution of natural plants. Witchcraft indeed. Fuck the puritans. Self Loathing hypocrites who never mature past adolescence.

8. bella donna baby

bella donna baby Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't understand why kratom is not prescribed by physicians. Side-effects are acceptable (even fun).

If kratom was prescribed it would in turn be illeagal to use as it has been. It would be turned into a schedule I drug. NOT a good idea in my opinion.

9. Panacee

Panacee Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I am not so sure about that. Why would it become illegal?
    I've had prescriptions of medicins that you can buy without prescription like paracetamol.

10. loveiselectric

loveiselectric Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM completely concurs with the OP. When I have been under the weather and must stay inside resting, she makes some tea and is instantly cured of discomfort. All other cold and flu meds will temporarily suppress one or two specific symptoms, which reappear within hours. When SWIM continues the use of kratom, she notices that the symptoms are not only suppressed (or eliminated) but start to fade altogether. It seems to provide equal parts relaxation and stimulation creating a perfect and comfortable balance. Not to mention the hot tea has some numbing effect on the mouth and throat as well. All around a really mysterious and miraculous little plant.

11. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SWIM also gets health benifits from Kratom, yes cold suffering is reduced but my main use is to counter back pain from which he has suffered for over 12 years now.
    Kratom is consistantly helpful

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  12. Enlightenme

Enlightenme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kratom is awesome for illnesses or illness symptoms from withdrawals or hangovers. Just don't get addicted and use it everyday, or you will have withdrawals from it; although not near as bad as from opiates or benzos.

13. 4twentyseven

4twentyseven Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim recently found out that kratom is also an excellent aid/medicine for RLS. swim gets restless leg syndrom at bedtime about once or twice a week and always had to use prescription meds for it. One night, the legs would not stop stretching and aching so swim downed a few grams of maengDa using the t/w method and within 1/2 hour his legs and the whole body for that matter were sedated and relaxed and eventually swim was knocked out for the rest of the night. awsome.
    I will never use meds again for RLS as long as this awesome little plant is available.

14. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I get RLS when withdrawing after regular Kratom use.
    This time its lasted almost 2 weeks so far although it is getting better now.
    I would love to see Kratom studied for use as a medicine for treatment of RLS as it is the only thing I have used that Helps 100%, although it also causes RSL in Swim after Swim stops using after long periods of time.

15. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    Yes kratom is very good at curbing all of these health problems, but so is opium. Don't blame doctors for not wanting to prescribe an addictive substance without any way of knowing an exact dose.

I started using kratom when he felt he was getting a bit too dependent on semi synthetic opioids, I bet you can guess what ended up happening with his kratom usage. He's by no means discouraging kratom, but just remember that it is still quite addictive and to be careful.

16. Nil by Mouth

Nil by Mouth Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Hi all :)
    never heard of Kratom before seeing it here.suffer lots of pain from an old accident might give it a try.
    Noticed on websites there is 35X strength caps for £4 each. Is this the best way to take it for someone who cant drink anything sweet such as linctus etc.they seem a bit expensive if I took 3 or 4 at once!

Do I just go in a head shop and ask for it?

Cheers for any reply's :cool:

17. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    my advice is to find some UEI (Ultra Enhanced Indo) try it at 0.5g increments.
    If this works for You then look into trying Plain leaf (UEI is an extract and can be habit forming).
    UEI is a very good yardstick in that most people get results from it. If You doesnt get a result then maybe Kratom is not for you.

I use UEI on occasion but he used to use way too much and the habit was expensive BUT now he has sorted out his tolerance he uses Super Golden Indo (which is a plain leaf) regularly and gets very good results.
    The key is to find a good supplier.

18. Enlightenme

Enlightenme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yes it will get rid of RLS, but when you stop, the RLS will be even worse. If you never had it before, kratom addiction will cause you to have it once you quit. This is the one wd symptom that bothers SWIM about kratom; other than that, it is quite easy to come off of, although I have experienced some depression and emotional distress when coming off also.

19. ironmics

ironmics Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    I would suggest avoiding extracts and anything from "legal high" type sites. He's always had much more success just buying leaf. After a few really weak extracts, he's just sucked it up and ate the little bit of extra plant matter. Also, it's much, much cheaper, You just has to find the right vendor that has stuff he'll like. Beware though, it is still quite habit forming, but for swim the cravings are reduced by the gag factor of pure leaf.

20. Nil by Mouth

Nil by Mouth Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Mmm sounds lovely - tasty plant matter eh.
    Cheers for all tips everyone :thumbsup:, might give that 1 a try.
    probably be outlawed one day if the powers that be sense that people actually enjoy it and/or find it useful.:cool: