Oral use - Kratom brewed in a coffee maker - pros 'n cons? Or just don't bother?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by OmegaMan5000, Oct 26, 2011.

1. OmegaMan5000

OmegaMan5000 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from U.S.A.
    Okay so I might have already answered my own question in the title, but I've been researching quite a bit on Kratom recently and am eagerly anticipation a nice batch of Maeng Da powder, and a smaller sample of Super Green Indo the vendor graciously threw in for free.

I've read plenty of recipes for tea and other methods of ingestion, but nothing about trying to brew it like a cup of coffee. Though I have heard mention of someone who put it in a french press, but the info wasn't too detailed

Now is there a specific reason for boiling the stuff in water that the process of having the hot water strained through the material won't accomplish?

I feel like I'm answering my own question here, but I would like to know if this is a viable option. Obviously I want the most potency I can get, and I'm not above babysitting a pot or pan of boiling water for a couple minutes, but naturally if I can just toss the stuff in my coffee maker and put it on autopilot I'd rather do that. :)

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    This question has been answered many times here.
    You can make kratom tea anyway you like, but boiling the powder in water with a little lemon/lime juice for 15 minutes will extract more alkaloids directly into tha water than using a coffee maker or french press.

The reason is that the alkaloids are not all sitting on the powder or leaf, so running water through it will not extract as much as boiling it in water will.

Just try your coffee maker if you want, then a few days later when your tollerence is down again try making proper kratom tea and you will see the difference for yourself.

Sure you will extract some alkaloids using a coffee maker, you will extract some alkaloids by simply pouring hot water into a cup with some kratom and letting it steep like regular tea, but as has been said again and again boiling it extracts more alkaloids.

Do a search for Kratom tea, or read the kratom basics thread or the kratom tea TEKs, im sure this info is there too.

3. OmegaMan5000

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from U.S.A.
    Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if the post was a bit redundant for the forum, but I honestly couldn't find much info aside from some mentioning here n there about using coffee makers etc in the research I've been doing here and elsewhere so I figured I'd just ask outright.

4. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    No problem.
    Im sure you will have fun experimenting with Kratom, its a fantastic plant.
    Just be aware that it can be addictive and that tollerence can become an issue with over use.
    Keep it to once or twice a week with regular breaks and you should be able to keep your doseage low and also your tollerence.

Experiment with the different methods of ingestion and start off low.

5. OmegaMan5000

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from U.S.A.
    Thanks dude.

Yeah I might actually switch back to the tea. I found that mixing or TnW tend to lend themselves to more nausea than making tea with a double boil and trashing the solids. :)