Extraction - Kratom extract results...

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by Nicaine, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Kratom Extraction

Ingredients:

* Around 150g commercial grade Kratom powder (65mg alkaloids per 25g)
    * 4 cups of filtered tap water (for each boiling step, see below)
    * One 473mL bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol

Just wanted to start by saying I sort of botched this... used WAY too much Kratom for the volume of water in the pan. I'd recommend to double or triple the amount I used, for anyone considering doing this. You can always boil the tea awhile on low/medium to reduce the volume of water if you like.

Anyway, here's what I did:

(1) Boiled the Kratom only about 5 minutes (just too little water), then filtered/kept the liquid.
    (2) Re-boiled the Kratom (over 15 minutes this time) and filtered/kept the liquid. Mixed the results of the two batches together.

(3) Dumped a full bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol into the used Kratom solids, and let it soak for about a half hour, then filtered the results. Now this was interesting... the end result is a deep green (almost black) extract that stains everything it touches.

aimg.villagephotos.com_p_2005_6_1035639_drying.png
    Evaporating the alcohol extract w/2 fans (blowing on, sucking out)</font>

My original plan was to evaporate the "tea" and pack it into capsules, but I finally decided just to keep the water-boiled stuff as liquid tea, so I boiled it down awhile longer on medium heat to get the volume of water down to a reasonable level. Just took my first dose about 10 minutes ago (only 1/4 cup to start), don't notice much of any effects yet. BTW, special thanks to Sands of Time for the idea of using milk to kill the bitterness... works like a charm! So much easier to stomach that way. It's decent tasting Kratom, but somewhat on the bitter side.

I finally decided the alcohol extract is what I'm gonna evaporate and put into capsules (provided there's enough of it after the alcohol evaporates). The alcohol definitely extracted all the chlorophyll & tannins from the Kratom, whether or not it got some additional psychoactive alkaloids is open to question. It's evaporating at the moment, I expect it to take around 12 hours, as there's some water in the mix left over from the boiling.

P.S. the Kratom tea is just hitting me now as I update this. Wonderful, think I used on just the right amount given the strength of the tea. Beautiful opiate glow coming on, just feels great. [​IMG]

P.S2 -- Jesus, think I may have used a bit too much. I am wasted out of my mind, can barely stand up! [​IMG] Kratom really kicks ass, just love the stuff (mumble, mumble, nod...)

[​IMG]Edited by: Nicaine

2. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Sounds like I had the right idea with the alcohol extraction -- check this out:

Erowid Link

To make a long story short, this guy extracted using Vodka and got good results. I think I'll hit the liquor store for the second half of my bag of Kratom... should be better/easier than evaporating an isopropyl extract.

3. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    My curiosity got the better of me, so I spread some of the isopropyl alcohol extract on a plate to dry. What resulted when scraped is a fine, literally golden-colored powder with a lot of crystals in it.

I made a quickie "crack-style" pipe from foil + copper wire, and tried smoking a little. I don't normally smoke anything anymore, but this tasted pretty good and the smoke is very mild. Slightly numbing to the lips and tongue. Don't notice much effect, but only took a couple 'tokes'. Will try a bit more, this is kinda fun. [​IMG]

Edit (later) -- evaporation of the alcohol extract is nearly complete (need oven help at this point, as it's all water remaining). Looks like it's gonna resemble those black resins sold on the web, rather than a powder. Smoking a chunk of resin now... same mild, pleasant taste... appears to impart a slight buzz (so weak it could be the carbon monoxide).Edited by: Nicaine

4. Eirias

Eirias Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Any reports on consuming the extract orally?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  5. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Not yet... might try it tomorrow. It's very tarry (like tarballs) & consists mostly of tannins so I dunno how my stomach would be affected. The alcohol sure extracted a lot of 'stuff' that plain water didn't.

If I do this again, I think I'll use ethyl alcohol instead so it can be imbibed while still a liquid. Not sure how all the heating/drying affected whatever alkaloids might be present.

P.S. here's a pic of the end results:

aimg.villagephotos.com_p_2005_6_1035639_PUYRL_tarballs.png
    Looks like crushed cockroaches in that pic, LOL. [​IMG] Edited by: Nicaine

6. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i know this is an old post, but You never mentioned what is was like when taken orally. swim only asks because he recently found a website that sells 30% 75% and 97% pure alkaloids, and would like to know if the experience is like normal leaf kratom, because it seems to be at a good price of this source.

7. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    The isolated 7-hydroxy-mitragynine available at 'that site' could be a lot better than normal leaf kratom. Mixtures that more closely resemble the alkaloid mix of the leaves probably aren't worth the high prices that website charges.