Health - Kratom for depression

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by jazzyj9, Aug 18, 2013.

1. jazzyj9

jazzyj9 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My close friend has had some very severe depression lately. I mean wicked and she has been taking Kratom to help feel better and it works, but there is kind of an up and down effect, which she doesn't like. I'm wondering if anyone else uses it for depression and any combinations that might be more effective. What doses work for depression? I know it's not good to use it every day, but she's felt so terrible lately she's got to find something that helps soon. Thanks.

2. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have been addicted for a year and a half but have been kept very mentally steady at a dose of 5 grams after showering and 5 grams 6-8 hours later for the rest of the night. This definitely leads into addiction but it keeps the user extremely stable and at a comfortable level throughout the day.

Honestly if you are full on trying to combat depression, I don't think kratom would be your cup of tea. I don't know what timeframe you are talking but you can be addicted in a couple weeks and you might be better off getting actual medication for it.

3. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You are right about kratom having ups and downs- its duration of effects is fairly short, which is why this is. Others may disagree, but I do believe kratom has a place in helping people deal with depression. Many people (like myself) do not wish to go the pharmaceutical antidepressant route, and use herbal and natural remedies instead. In this, I believe kratom can be a tool, but should not be the primary or only method.

Personally, I have found that Saint John's Wort has been the most consistent over the long term for depression. There is a big difference in quality/potency between brands - this can be an issue why it doesn't work for some people. I have had the best effects using a well-known name brand that is a standardized extract, taking 900 mg/day. I have had the best success with brands that use the WS 5570 standardized extract.

In addition to SJW, I do take kratom as well. The combination of the 2 have pretty much destroyed all the anxiety and depression that I had been struggling with for several years. SJW is non-addictive, and kratom is mildly addictive, so please keep that in mind. I admit that I am somewhat addicted to kratom, however I use small amounts once or twice a day, and have not increased doses. I also have quit taking kratom several times, and found the withdrawls to be very manageable and short in duration (3 days or so). So I know that I can stop it if/when I want to.

Another herb that is actually much more powerful for depression/anxiety than SJW is kanna (sceletium tortuosum). I also have taken this quite a bit, and it works wonders for depression. My only beef with kanna is that I have found it to be somewhat inconsistent in its effects when taking it daily/long term. I personally think it is most helpful to provide a jolt to suddenly snap someone out of a depressive or anxious funk.

Another herb that my wife has used with great success is rhodiola rosea. I personally haven't tried it, but she used it for a rough period, and it made a huge improvements in her mood and energy levels.

Hope this helps!

4. jazzyj9

jazzyj9 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks for the info!

5. pandan

pandan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I also struggle with depression and have tried kratom, St. Johns Wort, Rhodiola, and kanna. I will second and add some to most of what Cousin Merle said:

Kratom is not right for me for depression. Too mentally clouding, drug-like, and addictive. I need alleviation with mental clarity. For others though the kratom state is far preferable to living in the depressed, pain-ridden, or opiate-dependent state the way they were and may be appropriate.

Good quality St. Johns Wort is the most effective and consistent for me also. Like Cousin Merle said, quality does matter. I found the Trader Joe's brand in the orange-green bottle effective and stick by that but many other brands likely work (and many do not). I prefer it over pharmaceutical antidepressants because it works about as well with few side effects.

Rhodiola has some positive short term effect. It is adaptogenic with physical activity, takes the edge off fatigue, and temporarily increases dopamine. Amazingly, sprinters heart rates return to baseline much more quickly than usual on Rhodiola. Rhodiola is good for helping me in the short term to get up out of the house or for a non-caffeine energy boost when I come home fatigued and still have things to do. I need larger doses than normally recommended - 5x or more.

Kanna has a short-acting and inconsistent mood brightening effect. Maybe the active compound mesembrine could be developed with medicinal chemistry into something more useful but the plant in its natural state does not seem to be a suitable long-term treatment.

I think very promising for depression are the 3rd generation antidepressants on the way. In the last decade it was discovered that most antidepressants really work by stimulating the growth of new neuron clusters - essentially allowing the brain to rewire. It was discovered that ketamine stimulated neural growth immediately (via NMDA receptor action) rather than taking 4-6 weeks. Based on this finding, called the "greatest discovery in psychiatry in 50 years", new antidepressants are under development that work within 24 hrs to generate huge bundles of neurons and alleviate depression.
    The leading one is GLYX-13 has showed astounding results so far in clinical trials.