1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions - Kratom for pain.

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by southen9700, Feb 3, 2011.

1. southen9700

southen9700 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    hi, I am new so please bare with me.

AFOAF of mine is interested in trying kratom for pain. My friend has been taking 3 loracet a day for almost a year. My friend has a non curable disease that causes her severe pelvic, back, & leg pain daily & is sometimes bedridden due to this pain. Is kratom used to kill pain? If so what form? Thanks in advance.:)

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    A lot of people have reported good results from using Kratom to treat pain, mostly back pain in the reports Ive read.
    From what Ive heard the red vein Kratom is better than white vein variety's for pain treatment.
    The Dr has found that Kratom can relax his muscles and relieve mild aches but he does not suffer with chronic pain so he cant say if it is effective or not.

As for which type to try, it might take some experimentation to find something, stick to the red vein variety's though.

3. southen9700

Reputation Points:
    Thanks for replying so quick. Afoaf ordered some indo kratom powder & a sample pack. She is hoping to get it soon.Any suggestions on which way for afoaf to consume this she prefers just swallowing it with juice. She has read that the tea forms may be more effective.

4. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    Mixing it with some juice will be perfect, the Dr likes to mix his into a smoothy to mask the taste and the feel of the powder. Eating it will ensure that all the alkaloids are used.
    Make sure to take it on an empty stomach to get the best return.

The Dr. likes tea the most, although it can taste disgusting. He finds it comes on fast, about 15 minutes, and hits hard but it does not last as long as eating the powder does.
    As your friend is using it for pain then eating it is probably the best way.

5. southen9700

Reputation Points:
    For my friend, her loracet is more effective on an empty stomach, then when the pain has subsided,she then eats. Is this the same for kratom? When eating first before taking her pain meds, they are not as effective. For many people they cannot do this becasue they will get very nauseas. As for my friend it was the same until she got use to the pain meds. Thanks, Again

6. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    Its pretty much the same. An empty stomach allows the kratom to be broken down and the alkaloids absorbed more efficiently. Most people report a big decrease in effects when they take their usual dose too soon after eating.
    The Dr has heard people recommend leaving a couple of hours after eating before taking any Kratom but he prefers to take it before eating at all, first thing in the morning when possible or he has been known to skip eating or just have a small snack if he is planning on taking some later in the day.

As your friend is taking it for pain i would imagine they would want to take it in the morning anyway.

Kratom does not take long to kick into action, when eaten on an empty stomach the effects should be noticed around the half hour mark and the Dr. says that he usually waits for about half an hour after that before eating food.

Nausea can be a problem for some, and taking it on an empty stomach could make it worse although the Dr has never had a problem with nausea from Kratom. He has gagged a few times and even vomited up Kratom tea as he was drinking it because of the taste but once it was down the hatch it was not a problem.

7. GreyPaws

GreyPaws Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM's dog Rex has been using Kratom on and off for over 6 months, he finds that Commercial Grade Bali is good for basic pain relief. Rex typically uses Kratom around bed time to alleviate chronic RLS. Rex is 260lbs and usually needs 8-10g of Bali to feel relief from RLS, however if his pain is more serious, like a sprained back or twisted ankle, he finds he needs much higher amounts 18-25g for pain relief. He finds the side-effects of nausea to be significant at higher dosages (nothing worse than vomiting with a sprained back).

Rex typically places his powdered Kratom into empty gelatin capsules he finds 00 gauge capsules to hold about 550mg each when well packed in his capsule machine. Rex finds the onset is delayed a bit (20-30min) using this method, Rex gets most immediate results with brewing a tea, or mixing the powder with juice and drinking it like a shake.

Rex has also been experimenting with taking Magnesium Citrate 300mg orally 30-40 min prior to taking Kratom, initial results yield a slightly more relaxed feeling during the experience and a slightly more restful sleep.

8. Kamuix

Kamuix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My neighbor whom was sold kratom by a curtain someone.. reports it as effective! Swim would test it on himself but for some reason once drugs came along pain seems to keep its distance.. I think it knows of my secret weapon -_-

9. shepord

shepord Newbie

Reputation Points:
    would smoking it be a good idea or would it not last that long

10. Hardstepa

Hardstepa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I dont think smoking it has any effect really. You would just have to smoke far too much for it to work. Maybe if it was a very strong extract but i havent ever heard of anyone smoking it.