Cultivation - kratom growing in south florida

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by donxijote, May 8, 2012.

1. donxijote

donxijote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    25 y/o from U.S.A.
    swim knows kratom will grow well in tropical areas but he has a few questions. why does every website say they need to be sown in sphagnum peat moss? would they not do fine being sown straight into the ground in the tropical climate in south florida? does kratom like full sun or partly shady areas? how big so kratom plants get? and how long from sowing should I wait to start using the plant. for decorational purposes ofcourse ;)

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    There are a few threads on growing Kratom, this one has some good information and answers some of your questions. Growing kratom plants

Here is a nice grow log, of small plants grown from seed Krazoom Kratom growing Journal with Pictures!

Here is a fantastic grow log by Radiometer Radiometer's Kratom Grow Log

There are some other cultivation threads you might look through if you have not already done so that might offer you more information.

Ive not come across many successful home grows that lasted more than a few years or that took well outside, not outside of their favoured climates.

3. donxijote

donxijote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    25 y/o from U.S.A.
    thanks for the links, in one of them it says any of the seeds bought from online vendors are most likely unviable can anyone shine some light on this? the thread also says viability of the seeds only lasts a few days (2-3) is this true? I was considering ordering seeds due to the fact that live plants are seemingly hard to find on the net. do any swiys think if i look hard enough i will find an online vendor of live plants (note:im not asking for any sources)

4. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Kratom is notoriously difficult togrow from seed. I have often recieved seedpods from my vendor as an extra, but despite sowing thousands of seeds ive not had any grow.
    You would have a better chance with a cutting but ive no idea if they are available anymore.

I believe that it can take a few years of growth before the tree produces enough alkaloids, and they are very difficult to keep alive outside their natural enviroment.
    Id love to have my own kratom tree, but i wouldnt bother growing one for a supply of leaves.

5. donxijote

donxijote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    25 y/o from U.S.A.
    thanks for the info. I will have to decide whether its worth the money or not then. thank you