1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Legal - Kratom now illegal in Arizona?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by trdofbeingtrd, Apr 12, 2013.

1. trdofbeingtrd

trdofbeingtrd Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Here very recently a friend told me that when they had went into a smoke shop to purchase some spice that the owner said there was no more because it is banned under some analogue law. He saw the list and put on the list was kratom. Supposedly if you are caught with kratom now in Arizona because of this anti (research chemical) law then you face penalties worse than if possessing methamphetamine.

I have done a lot of searching and research since I had heard this so I could post about it but have some answers. I cannot find anything about this being true or not. This guy said he told me so that I didn't get popped with something that I use and think is still legal.

If anyone has information or can find out if this is true, I would really appreciate it *I mean REALLY appreciate it......like give up my body.......sorry, in a good mood until this news. Thank you in advance and I am not going to be lazy either, I will keep looking for an answer and report if I find one.

2. baselined

baselined Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I dont know if this is true. I havent heard anything about it, or read about it on any kratom information sites. I doubt that a smoke shop is a reliable source for this kind of information. Possibly they were selling kratom that was laced with some sort of research chemical; a practice that led to a few ODs in Sweden not too long ago.

I hope your information is bad, but I cant say for sure. All I can say is that I have yet to hear about it, nor is it on a website that keeps up to date information on kratom news.

3. crystal methodist

crystal methodist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    Not exactly sure about kratom, but, just recently a law was passed that bans all spice products in Arizona. There tactics of illegalizing things is pushing more and more people towards illegal drugs.

4. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I could only find one thing and I can't link to it because it would be considered a source, but it says that yes, kratom is legal in AZ.

I'm pretty sure you'd know because sites would say that they don't ship to AZ. Does anyone know if sites will ship to IN or not? I know it is illegal in IN.

5. trdofbeingtrd

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Follow up, someone who works for a company that sells kratom online as a higher up in the workplace had told me that kratom is NOT illegal in Arizona. I asked him if I can still purchase and enjoy it and he said yes, that there is no law banning kratom in Arizona.

So, I take this source as extremely reliable, enough for me for sure. Kratom can be shipped and possessed still in Arizona.

6. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o Male from ireland
    Just be careful. Just because someone will send drugs to your state it does not mean they are legal. I would look for a better source to clarify the law than a vendor, after all its not them that will get in trouble for sending it, but the person who ordered it.

7. trdofbeingtrd

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Thank for pointing out considering I am obviously naive enough to not question as I should.
    It's true that you cannot just trust certain companies to tell the truth.

By any chance do you know how I can find that information? I don't know how to find the answer and this is after hours of research.

8. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o Male from The Netherlands
    Has this ever been clarified?

9. JustKeepSwimmin

JustKeepSwimmin Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I own a smoke shop in Phoenix and have been selling Kratom for a while. I have had plenty of police officers in my shop for various reasons and a few who have actually asked about Kratom. None of them ever gave me any problems.

Usually when something like that gets banned we get some sort of notice in the mail from the city stating that there will be penalties for selling whatever product that they have banned. But I suppose that's not iron clad proof that it isn't illegal. I have not seen any laws stating that it is illegal though.

And as far as Spice goes, the law is a blanket ban and is extremely vague and has many grey areas. There are many shops here that still sell it under the name "potpourri" and have had no legal issues. I myself don't understand it at all, but that is Arizona for you...

Hope that helps some!

JKS

10. Chug Chug Chug

Chug Chug Chug Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    It's a shame, I'd hate to see this become a reality, especially country-wide.
    I guess this is a part of the aftermath from the explosion of research chemicals and overdoses,
    the laws related to drugs become more strict and seem to get a bit desperate while all drugs become further generalized as dangerous.

Anyways I'm not gonna get too off-topic, JustKeepSwimmin's post was helpful but some documentation regarding the matter would help clear it up. I suppose that'd be hard to find especially if it were not true, but knowing whether this is true or not could be a possible indicator of a federal ban in the future.

11. JustKeepSwimmin

JustKeepSwimmin Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I've been searching my hardest to find some official documents reguarding this but....nothing. Only things I find are old speculative news reports that it could possible get banned in the future.

There are many Kratom product manufacturers here in Arizona that I frequently talk to as well. Since they are in the Kratom business they tend to stay on top of their laws. I have had a few conversations with different manufacturers reguarding the subject. A while back I had the impression that Kratom wasn't going to be legal for much longer, but every one of these different manufacturing aquaintances assured me that Kratom in Arizona was not going anywhere. I trust these people as reliable resources, however, it still is not iron clad proof.

12. ericmst18

ericmst18 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    So far I've heard on the news that, "Federal agents say they are seizing Kratom shipments at the borders and testing it" I could see some US states ban the substance soon, only a matter of time before it goes National which would suck :(

13. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o Male from ireland
    Indiana and Tennessee already banned it.
    If you can find any reports on this please post it in the news forum.
    Thanks

14. RelaxForMe

RelaxForMe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I can't find any information that would suggest kratom is banned In arizona.

15. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Why is it only a matter of time before it goes National?

16. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Because you have these moronic shops selling Kratom right next to research chemicals and being promoted in ways that's going to get it banned quick.

For instance a gas station over here has a product called "buzz gum" that supposedly contains kratom; implying it gives you a buzz is just asking for law enforcement to step in. I really can't think of a more destructive product name.

That's just an example I have of how Kratom is being promoted as plant that makes you high. Another poster here heard a Kratom ad on the radio that implied it makes you high and makes you feel great.

These kinds of promotions are going to push Kratom into schedule I in the US. It's really not a matter of if it's just a matter of when it will be banned. You can thank all the scum out there trying to make a quick buck off of promoting it as the latest legal high.

17. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    I hear you DiabolicScheme, I have read all that you mention on this forum but that type of stuff like Kratom being sold next to Research Chemicals has been going on for a long time and nothing has changed, maybe I am optimistic/naive but I don't see anything changing any time soon.

I'm in England and to be honest Kratom here is still very much a mostly un-heard of substance even among people that take drugs regularly.

18. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o Male from ireland
    Just look across the Irish sea, kratom was banned here for that very reason. It can and does happen.

19. joem597

joem597 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Utah, U.S.A.
    It really pisses me off when head shops or vendors package kratom similar to spice and other research chemical containing products, I just moved to SLC Utah a few months ago and there has been no problem with kratom, yet. I saw a report just two days ago on the news that was talking about the "spice epidemic" in Utah. Along with some of the pictures of seized spice there was a package of kratom. Now this just steamed me beyond belief. Last thing we need is for it to be categorized with that shit. Im going to start stocking up to be safe but its likely to happen soon. USA is bann happy, and society will believe these lies from uneducated reporters rather than doing research themselves about the product in question. All it takes is two stupid people to get this started, An idiotic shop owner who sells it like its a drug, and some dumb ass kid to go out and get sick, freak out and tell the media he almost died. I will write my local government and express my concerns for this unneccassary panic. Of course I will wait until this actually starts as to not bring attention to it if its not there to begin with. We can all help this stuff stay legal by not buying it from headshops and supporting this. The more local sales begin to happen, the sooner some dipshit will either over do it or sell kratom laced with RCs and get it banned. Please do not buy from headshops (kratom at least). I do not tell anyone about this wonder herb so I can help keep attention off it. As long as we try our best to keep it away from kids and not support these local shops profiting from marketing this stuff as a drug, The process may be slowed down and when or if it happens, we will feel good knowing we did what we could to protect it. Be safe everyone.

20. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I agree that if kratom gets banned, it will because it is often sold alongside research chemicals and will get lumped together with them. That's why I encourage everyone who uses kratom to not support head shops that sell research chemicals along with kratom - buy your kratom from an ethnobotanical store or website, or a website that exclusively sells kratom.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013