Kratom overdose...

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by Nicaine, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Oops! DEA monitors go elsewhere, cuz even a bad one isn't nearly as risky as opiate OD. But yep, it's possible for it to happen if one's dosage tolerance is exceeded. Happened to SWIM a total of three times over the past couple years (including today, unfortunately). He was apparently not watching his dosage, and "redosed" way too soon with too much.

First immediate symptoms for him are nausea, intense full body itchiness, and a deep nod that's basically sleep (where he usually can't sleep at all w/normal kratom dosages). What follows is hell... severe gastroparesis (nothing will exit the stomach), high levels of stomach acid, nausea and vomiting, inability to even drink fluids for ~6+ hours or eat solid food for the next 24 or so. Before the main effects wear off, the nausea can have a person praying for death.

It's nice that kratom is self-regulating in certain ways that opiates aren't, but don't try this at home, kiddies. I am still recovering :(.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  2. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Nicaine - how many grams of powder did you use? Remember that the delta opiate receptor mitigates vomiting, so perhaps this receptor is stimulated with excessive kratom like it is with strong narcotics. They can also stop gastro-intestinal motility cold. Sounds like it lasted longer, though. I do have a strong tolerance to kratom from daily use, so probably is immune to overdose. However, I have never taken more than 15 g of leaf in a sitting...

3. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    If I had been measuring grams and such, he wouldn't have overdosed :rolleyes:. Possibly 15-20 tho, just guessing.
    SWIM never had a problem when he had a tolerance either, it's when this happens and he has no tolerance that the problem crops up.

Tags: