1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Health - Kratom sent my marmot to the hosptial

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by user86, Apr 15, 2009.

1. user86

user86 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    He's feeling better and wrote me a letter, describing his experience:

My marmot plans to send me a copy of his labwork once he receives a copy himself. If any of this information could be useful, I'll post it once it's available.

user86 added 77 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Can't edit my post! The dose that sent me to the hospital was 15 grams, not 56 grams.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. Pete28

Pete28 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o
    SWIM must interject and say that it was most likely not the kratom that sent them to the hospital but the prolonged drinking and then the mixing of kratom. This is not meant to be rude simply stating from experience. I used to be a VERY heavy drinker and also burned kratom and the drinking had to be stopped as that was causing the problem.

Kratom in high doses just like opiates can make it very difficult to urinate

Peace

3. Mystopia2000

Mystopia2000 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It sounds like it could be Jaundice to SWIM. Which could be a result of hepatitis, prolonged heavy drinking, or something else; SWIM's would not rank Kratom as to likely a suspect. I am not a doctor though.
    It could also just be a strange hangover that goes away and doesn't return, which would be a whole lot better than liver damage.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  4. humdroid

humdroid Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    sorry to hear of the hospital admission and illness says Y.
    Y threw up after injesting kratom ontop of booze.
    he now steers clear of booze if kratting.

5. Apostacious

Apostacious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It may be possible that the "Toss and Wash" method of dosing affords a greater health risk. Someone Who Is Not You is eating ground up plant matter, which comes with a warning: Not Meant For Human Consumption. The material has not been thoroughly inspected (there could be pest feces, dirt, spit, sweat, urine, etc on it). The above warrant proper preparation to make ingestion of kratom safe when SWINY has not grown the kratom himself. All that is needed is to prepare the tea, where there exist far lesser risk because the material is heated above 200F.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It must be mentioned though that the original users of Kratom have been doing it for Centuries I believe without these sort of adverse health effects. Of course, anything in excess is bad for You no matter what it is.

7. Panacee

Panacee Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    My dog says they just put that up there to cover their asses.
    Every sane person knows what it is bought for.

Might the problem not have been caused by bacteria / molds that also happen on products that are 'for human consumption'. If you toss-and-wass with cold fluids, they might cause trouble. My dog suggests boiling water.

If 15g Bali would send my dog to hospital, I would never have to clean dog-poo.

8. bella donna baby

bella donna baby Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I would have to say, working in the medical field myself, that I agree with alcohol being the likely source of the problem. Prolonged and excessive alcohol use CAN could hepatitis along with many other serious health problems. My father was a major alcoholic and it did kill him! Not by liver failure but by causing a condition that is way too hard to spell or even pronouce that cause amonia toxcisity in the brain. This can be stopped by stopping drinking. It causes serious balance problems and if continues to worsen causes permenant brain damage. When I say balance problems I mean Falling off the couch while just trying to sit there and not move. My dad eventually had a fall in the bath that knocked him out at which point he drowned. With all that said, I can also tell you that prolonged and/or excessive use of many drugs including tylenol or motrin can cause liver failure. I myself have learned that the hard way. While I have not had my liver fail YET it is enlarged and showing the same probles that you would see in an alcoholic. YOur liver processes everything that goes into your body so just be careful with what and how much you take.

bella donna baby added 1 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

I appologize for my typos I'm not very good in the typing department lol

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  9. Frond

Frond Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Uh, your marmot's been drinking. Heavily. For quite a while. So just because it used Kratom at the same time doesn't mean that it was Kratom exclusively that caused this. It could be a combination of Kratom and the alcohol but Kratom alone has not been tied to liver damage. It has been connected to reversible prostate enlargement and skin darkening, but not to any serious liver issues.

Still, thanks for the heads-up. I do hope your marmot doesn't have these issues from now on. I would suggest not only laying off the leaf but also laying off the drink, which is tied very closely to liver damage.

Also, combining opiates and alcohol is a bad idea, as is combining different types of downers in general. One only has to look at celebrity drug deaths to see that this combination has been responsible for a very large chunk of them.

10. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Use Milk Thistle to help with the regeneration of ones liver.

SWIM hopes the Marmot is feeling better now !

11. Lady Codone

Lady Codone Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I had avery disturbing experience with kratom...her first and only.

She took a very small amount--probably 1/4th of a teaspoon--of a powdered blend, put it into a huge Sonic Route 44 cup of hot water, and drank about half of it over an hour or so. After an AMAZING high that blew even her drug of choice (hydrocodone) out of the water, she fell asleep. When she awoke, she was shivering and shaking violently, covered in sweat. For the next month (yes, MONTH), she experienced what she can only compare to extreme heroin withdrawal symptoms: cold sweats, nausea, diarrhea, extreme paranoia and slight visual hallucinations. The only other substance she was taking at the time was 5-HTP 50 mg., and only every other day at that.

How could such a miniscule dose of kratom cause a month's worth of illness? The only other negative health reports swim's seen on kratom are urinary retention and the above poster's hepatitis. SWIM's symptoms (cold sweats, shivering) were similar to kidney infection...perhaps that's what it was? Still, the intensity of the illness was NOT in proportion to the amount taken. She wanted so badly for kratom to be her reliable source for an opiate high, which made it even more disappointing. Be safe.

12. Little Wing

Little Wing Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    The hepatitis was probably caused by the Alcohol rather than the Kratom. I have had liver problems - high liver enzymes showed up in blood tests, so he has tried to cut back on the drink - and one of the reasons he wanted to replace it with kratom. He uses milk thistle regularly but not sure how effective at liver regenerating it really is depite the claims.

nasty - do you think all those contaminates could be in the kratom leaf I buy from a reasonably respectable vendors? Or is it just a gamble wherever one buys it?

13. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Lady Codone, Kratom wouldnt do that(in My humble opinion), SWIM can only think that You had a virus of some kind that coincidently manifested itself after the Kratom use. I had asimilar thing happen when he tried H for the first and last time, though he had fun while on the H afterwards he went downhill fast and had 3 days of cold/flu symptoms. Just a coincidence but at the time a little worrying.

14. Maxfrombx

Maxfrombx Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from france
    I had similar experiences with kratom. When he overdosed on regular kratom, he got intense shakings (almost unable to type on a keyboard), tachycardia and profuse sweating.

Last time it happened was only the day before yesterday... But SWIM can't understand what really went wrong. He only took 15g of Bali, left the effects wearing off and then took 100mg of L-theanine to get a good night's sleep... kind of granny high.
    30 min after, his heart began to accelerate while watching a movie... Big tachycardia (decided to lay down, mesured HR at 165!). No anxiety, only detached. Heart pounding really strong, and a light pain between two ribs.
    SWIM decided to put everything in order before going to bed, while shaking and sweating, in case something went really wrong with this granny high. Took a benzo under tongue that made a quick effect at low dose, thanks to the L-theanine, and woke up fine the morning after.

Anyway, this kind of incident only happened to SWIM with regular kratom. When he overdosed on extracts like UEI (his favorite), he only gets opiate OD symptoms... I am wondering BTW if all these powerful extracts are not tainted like Kripton with suspicious substances like O-D-tramadol...Regular kratom mixed with powerful full alkaloïd extract never approched the effect of UEI for SWIM.

15. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have used kratom most days for the last 5 years and has never had a reaction of this kind. I have had tachycardia when dosing too much at once, but it usually does not last that long and is mostly annoying. I know that kratom comes from all kinds of different places and distributers, not to mention middlemen, and some may contain other plants or adulterants (I had one batch which contained a large amount of dirt to add weight). There is no proof that the herb you buy is what it is advertised to be. This is why SWIM prefers crushed leaf to powder (easier to see if it is cut).
    Also, some may have an inherent sensitivity to the drug. I would suggest that those who are skeptical look up possible side effects for such "benign" drugs as vitamin C (ascorbic acid) or pepcid (famotidine - an antacid). Millions of people take these without incident every day of their lives, but every once in a while, they do harm or even kill.
    SWIM reminds all readers that they are guinea pigs testing poorly characterized plants and substances, and there are consequences to doing this, if only for a few unlucky ones.

16. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Ditto. Though I would be very curious to see what results Ed would get from an enzyme test.

Ed has had some negative effects from chronic kratom use, but this has not been one of them.

17. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWM has had 2 liver panels since starting, the first with overlapping 1.4 BDO use, the second while drinking too much. Both were normal. Of course this is SWIM's liver only, and I takes milkthistle every day.

18. Nothappywiththissalad

Nothappywiththissalad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Same exact thing happened to me a year ago, took some cheap Bali, ended up yellow skin and eyes, itching for weeks, extreme headaches/stomach pains. I now order my kratom from a better vendor and never Bali. Now these days I've contracted resl hep c to top it off