1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Side effects - Kratom - Side Effects Or No Side Effects? - Please Post

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by crawldown, Nov 12, 2014.

1. crawldown

crawldown Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    In another thread, I outlined symptoms I thought might be consistent with gallbladder or liver problems after ingesting only a very small amount of kratom (3 doses over 2.5 weeks at 2 grams or lower per dose). I'm still experiencing these and awaiting LFTs. Meantime, I thought I'd post a poll.

If anyone has had used kratom WITHOUT any of the following side-effects, please simply post "no". If you have had ANY of the side-effects listed below, please post just outlining which one(s). If most people on the forum using or with a history of using kratom takes the time to respond, this should give us a very rough-and-dirty sense of what per centage of users experience these particular side effects. Effects I'm interested in are:

1. Yellowing of eyes, skin, gums or nails
    2. Right upper quadrant abdominal pain
    3. Itching persisting after kratom effects have worn off OR starting a day or two after dosing
    4. Pale, bright orange or green stool
    5. Dark brown or bright yellow urine
    6. Severe acid indigestion
    7. Raised liver enzymes after liver function test
    8. Distended abdomen
    9. Left or right shoulder tip pain, worsened by inhaling deeply

Please do post as the consensus is that these issues, if they exist and are not exaggerated, effect only a small per centage of kratom users. Some of these symptoms may occur in isolation so some users may have the effect without knowing it. This will be useful in knowing more about whether there's a problem or not and whether, if there is an issue, there's a common pathology.

2. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    None of these problems.

3. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    None of these problems.

4. snowdrop

snowdrop Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    No...

5. Nickelass

Nickelass Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    None of the problems. I can't confirm the heightened liver enzymes though.

6. babalooj

babalooj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    22 y/o from New York, U.S.A.
    Nothing like that,
    Odd that you used so little kratom, how can we be sure these symptoms are due to your previous kratom consumption and not due to any other possibility? Perhaps you were predisposed for liver problems, or something.

7. babyblue87

babyblue87 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    No problems, at least not to the naked eye, liver enzymes have no idea but suspect that I am better of than my binge drinking friends.

I have acid reflux with a lot of things and surprisingly kratom does not bring it on.

8. snowdrop

snowdrop Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I wonder if something odd was in the kratom
    even some kind of pesticide/fungicide?

9. crawldown

crawldown Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I didn't get all those symptoms myself - just the RUQ pain and poo the colour of orangutan fur! Looks like it's rare among those interested in reading kratom threads. Maybe few others are experiencing it right now and any who do just return to their former DOC and stop reading anything on the subject. Whatever, it seems pretty uncommon. I've seen old threads where several reported the same experience. It's very weird and almost tempting to go to another supplier and try a different strain. Me, I'm ordering some kava root powder now they know why that was frying livers during the shortage...

10. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    No. I've also had liver panels done twice while taking kratom daily for the past 2 years and I'm 100% healthy.

11. crawldown

crawldown Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    The trouble is, it's very difficult to know whether this is hepatic without getting to the point of a scary trip to hospital. I'm not minded to go much over the flat tsp I had on each occasion and the symptoms I had could have been histamine release in some sort of delayed reaction (as you'd get with any opi) with some digestive issue caused by consuming the tea/plant matter OR the beginnings of the cholestasis experienced by the few people who have reported a pathology very similar to, but more serious than, my own. My best guess is that some people with sensitive gall bladders will get VDBS from kratom. Anyone out there know they have a sensitive gallblader but no issues with regular kratom use?

Knowing me, I won't abstain and will end up finding out the hard way but it's certainly worried me enough to make me wary of taking it a third time. Looks like it's rare enough that any people posting here aren't finding it a problem but I guess I wouldn't be looking at the kratom part of the forum if I'd been hospitalised because of it - I'd be back on the opioids section if I hadn't decided it was a mugs' game and taken up tiddlywinks. Good to hear some people have had clear liver panels after daily use. Definitely a rare effect I would say given estimated usage.

12. Jizzmasterzero

Jizzmasterzero Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Southeast USA
    None of those symptoms after 3 years of daily use. I've seen plenty of people with those symptoms that don't use kratom, so I bet it is unrelated.

13. dormouse95

dormouse95 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Acid Reflux only. It was easily fixed by taking Pepcid.

14. Rotzahn

Rotzahn Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from austria
    Nope, none been using since 1 year

15. WeaverAsh

WeaverAsh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have not had any of these problems... Could this possibly be something else unrelated to Kratom?

16. tombraidyourbody

tombraidyourbody Newbie

Reputation Points:
    21 y/o from U.S.A.
    1: My skin is a bit more yellow than usual, but I am not sure if that's from Kratom. Nothing to do with liver damage, however, because I'd know by now.

Also, it's not on your list, but I did get E. Coli while I was taking Kratom. Again, correlation doesn't indicate causation, but it's something to consider.

As far as I know, there are little negative effects of Kratom other than the obvious altered state of mind and addiction.

17. Elsa

Elsa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I tried kratom for the first time yesterday and experienced #9 after 20 minutes. I only took 1/4 tsp of red Bali strain, too. Why did that happen?

18. Gradient

Gradient Chem|EB|DMT

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Never seen these symptoms associated with kratom, and some regular users I'm friendly with have never experienced them.

Are any other drugs consumed regularly - particularly alcohol? These symptoms kind of scream jaundice. Definitely need to consult with a clinician; as I'm sure you know, no one here can tell you if kratom is causing this - but it's clear that these are not trivial symptoms, and need to be confronted clinically.

19. iguasu

iguasu Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from greece
    4 months daily user. None of the above. Some urine colour change when I'm dehydrated only.

20. butterflyaway

butterflyaway Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Please read my thread located here: https://drugs-forum.com/threads/270790

It contains some serious side effects do to my daily Kratom intake.

Thanks.

butterflyaway added 9 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

I hear kratom that's grown in Vietnam can possibly be poisoned from agent orange (the stuff we bombed on Vietnam during the war) Birth defects are still happening to the locals because of what we dropped over there.

Most kratom sources claim to get their kratom from Indonesia but vendors can be shady and I am sure kratom can be purchased cheaper in Vietnam (assuming its legal there) due to the fact that poison kratom could be bought for a lot less then the good stuff and there might be more of it around since it typically isn't harvested because of contamination

Currently Kratom is illegal to import into the United states so who knows where vendors are getting their supply from.

Just a precaution :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015