Opinions - Kratom Tea help and ideas

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by Mush, May 1, 2011.

1. Mush

Mush Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    Hello all! I'm new to the forums here and am very glad to be a new member!

Now one day I was reading about many different ethnobotanicals online, as he loves to do. Swim recently came across a plant called Kratom and found it can be used in many different ways. Swim made the choice to buy an ounce of dried Maeng Da Kratom leaf to experiment with. Maeng Da was swims choice because it is said to be the best strain to buy, and lower amounts are needed for much stronger effects. The effects of Kratom are said to be similar to opiates, which I has used a lot of in the past and was very curious on how effective Kratom really was. I found it can be used to get off of an opiate addiction which swim found to be a good sign. Mainly because if Kratom was ineffective it wouldn't be used for such purposes. Anyways... Swim received his oz and did more studying online on how to use his Kratom in the most effective way. Smoking was said to be next to useless, chewing was said to be mildly effective, though tea is said to be most effective. (With further studying swim found Kratom resin can also be bought which would make creating tea and other uses much easier, swim learned his lesson.) Swim searched the web and found a tea recipe just for Maeng Da that called for 2 - 4 grams per 2 1/2 cups of water. This surprised swim because other recipes that were not Maeng Da needed a quarter to half ounce in order to make the same strength. This got swim very excited because he figured he we add more than what the recipe calls for and get the strong effects he was looking for. Swim filled a pot with 2 1/2 cups of tap water and put it at high till it began to boil. Then swim switched the stove to medium and let the water simmer (no bubbles, the water seemed to just move around rapidly) swim then weighed out 7 grams of Maeng Da ground up dried leaf and put it into the water, stirred it up and let it lightly boil for 20mins. The recipe I was following went as told:

1.) Take 2-4 grams of crushed maeng da leaf (powder can also be used) and put into a pan. To this add around 2.5 cups of water.
    2.) Boil very gently until over half the water has evaporated (usually around 10-15 minutes).
    3.) Strain the remaining liquid into a cup and let cool for a few minutes.
    4.) Add sugar or honey to sweeten and drink.
    5.) The remaining material in the pan can still be consumed.

As you can see I went 3 grams over the called for amount, I did this because he was looking for very strong effect. When swim checked on the tea after 20mins, no where close to "over half the water" was evaporated. So I was confused and let boil even longer. Swim let it boil for nearly 45 - 50mins before it boiled down to 3/4th of a cup. Swim said it was a brownish color, and I did not burn any of the leafs, though I was afraid that kratom can be over boiled and possible weaken the tea. Swim strained the liquid into a cup and did a quick taste test. The taste was very very bitter, just as said online. Swim dumped sugar and agave syrup into the tea, stirred, and let sit while I was putting everything away. Swim recalled how the recipe said "material in pan can still be consumed" so swim tried a spoon food of the plant material (figuring it will increase the effects). I found it extremely hard to get down, and just lingered in his mouth. So swim dumped the left over plant material into his cats food dish and decided to see if they could enjoy it. Swim than drank the tea and found it to be not to bad after adding enough sugar to give a man diabetes...

15 - 30mins in I am feeling the effects of his tea and finds the coming up to be a lot like Vicodin with kind of a heady cannabis high.

1 hour in I am finding very mild effects on his body. He can feel a lot of similarity's to the opiates he has experimented with in the past, though swim figures this is the peak. Swim wished for a much stronger effect and was disappointed because he added more than the recipe called for. Swim then smoked a gram of cannabis and relaxed to the effects for another half hour before he took a nap.

I want to know if anyone can see where he messed up, or if he did at all. He wishes for help on how to get the most from his 21 grams of Maeng Da for his next batch of tea. Swim read online that if one were to let his kratom sit in some lime juice for a bit and then boil it, the effects will be greater. Is this true? Also I had the idea, what if one were to boil say 10grams of Maeng Da in a pot with 3 cups of water. Allow it to boil down to about a cup, or half cup. Then pour another 2 cups of water, and continue to let it boil and evaporate down to a half cup or full, then do the same for a 3rd time. Strain the tea, and let cool. I had the idea that this will extract everything from the plant possible, all that is needed is patience. Would this work? Or is it possible to over boil kratom?

Thank you everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
  2. GreyPaws

GreyPaws Palladium Member Sponsor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    my dog Rex thinks the op will find the following information useful:

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/16165
    the link above has a great recipe for making tea. One does not need more than about a cup of liquid per 10g of Kratom when making tea. Rex adds his kratom to the water when the water is still cold, and allows it to come up to a simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the plant matter from settling to the bottom and burning. Using a wide shallow pan is recommended to help with evaporation. once the pot has simmered for about 15 min rex removes it from the heat, strains the liquid into a cup using a strainer with a handle, he then uses the back of a spoon to squeeze the plant matter so most of the liquid is removed. He returns the wet pulp back to the pan, and adds half as much water as he did when the plant matter was dry, he brings it to a simmer and stirs occasionally for 15 min. The resulting liquid is again strained, the plant matter squeezed, and the pulp thrown away.

Kratom potency and effectiveness varies greatly from vendor to vendor, and from batch to batch. The amounts a person needs to feel strong effects from kratom will vary significantly as well. Rex also thinks that it may be a good idea for the OP to do more reading on this forum about the actual effects of kratom, so the OP does not have unrealistic expectations about the effects of the plant.

Rex has a tolerance for opiates, he mostly uses powdered leaf from reputable vendors, he is 250lbs, and a daily cannabis smoker. He needs roughly 6-8g of Maeng Da for medium effects, and about 8-12g of it for strong effects.

As far as "over boiling" kratom, rex finds that using the wet pukp a third time yields poor results, so he is confident that two 15 min simmer sessions are enough to get most of the alkaloids out of the plant.

Rex knows that some people have good results using lime or lemon juice in the water to help with extraction, but he found the difference to be negligible.

Hope this helps, and Rex encourages the OP to read through the Kratom section of this forum.

3. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    This is a TEK for making a basic Kratom extract, but it is also the same method i use to make Kratom tea. Just follow the recipe up until the liquid is to be boiled down.
    The tea can be reduced to as little as required.
    I wouldn't use more than a pint of water with 10-20 grams, boiling it down to a small cup of tea after a double boil.
    Adding lemon/lime juice to the water makes a big difference.

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/158056

4. Herbs&Hopes

Herbs&Hopes Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Toss`N`Wash method seems to get the most out of the plant material, and is over in less than 5 minutes vs the tea which is at least 30 minutes to get a decent extraction of the alkaloids to the tea. T`n`W method simply consists of taking a sip of juice, then taking a reasonable amount of powder, then another sip of juice/water and down it goes; swishing it around prior to downing it just sticks it to the walls/roof of the mouth and subjects you to the very, very great taste of M. speciosa. Also for crushed leaf an easily disguised methoed (taste-wise) is to stir it in a half cup of yogurt and show that in a coulpe minutes time, micronized powder will infuse into the yogurt in close to 30 seconds and then it almost makes it even worse as the yogurt is saturated with the flavour.

There is something to be said for ritual and consistent processes though and I respect and understand that aspect. It can almost add to the calming nature of kratom use if the thirty minutes during preparation-time is used for a personal meditation to calm the mind and ready the body for its relaxing-energetic boost.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  5. lucaschad

lucaschad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Opinions and suggestions were all over the board I said. Swim just got some bali powder from a bear in the mail. Swim then brought 1.5 cups of water to a boil and added three measured teaspoons to the water. Swim then turned around to wash said teaspoons to put back the measuring devices in the drawer, when swim turned around it was boiling over! I was not pleased=( Swim then took the small saucepan off the heat only to find that some of the green powder and water boiled over the sides and then on the bottom of the stove. I did notice that the water in the pot was 70% still there so swim added .5 of a teaspoon (measured) and a bit more water. Swim the let water soft boil for 15 minutes then used a metal coffee strainer and poured the liquid in to the strainer over a coffee cup with 2 tablespoons of honey in it. This was a little too bitter for swim so he added french vanilla coffee creamer to it (actually pretty good I said) and gulped it down. It has now been 50 minutes since since I have taken it on an empty stomach. I have used norco's and vicodin for extended periods of time in the past and enjoys this. Now I feel very little. A little more alert and only a shade euphoric. I am going to take the leftover powder from the strainer and try again now.

6. OmegaMan5000

OmegaMan5000 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from U.S.A.
    Toss N Wash or mixing is probably the easiest and quickest, but I found that the more plant material you injest the sicker you get. After my last dose of kratom I got a pretty nasty bout of nausea. I almost threw up more than a few times. I'm sure that the accumulation of plant material in your stomach really does a number on it.

If you plan on only doing 1 dose every other day or so you'll be fine, but if you're going to be doing it several times a day I would STRONGLY suggest you do a double boil and trash the solids.