1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Combinations - Kratom user looking for similar high on off days

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by therook, Aug 21, 2015.

1. therook

therook Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hi A friend uses kratom 2 - 3 times per week for a long time now and enjoys the subtle high while at work, doing a corporate desk job. It is pleasant and subtle and does not interfere with work but makes the boring day more enjoyable. My friend never varies dosage and always spaces it out 2-3 days inbetween so it does not become a problem. My friend is looking for a similar substance for the off days, something subtle so he can still do his job but something that works differently from the kratom so there is no physical crossover. Not sure if he will find what he is looking for, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks

2. renacer

renacer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Try rhodiola, it's a nice stimulating herb. Not a quarter as euphoric as kratom but still gives a pleasant edge more conventional drugs like caffeine and nicotine can't quite do.

3. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Kratom is the bottom rung on a ladder, the higher you go the more dangerous the drugs become and at the top is heroin. Opiates are the closest thing in effect, the next step up the ladder is probably poppy seed tea, tramadol or codeine, but the point in using kratom (for many) is to avoid going up the ladder at all or for others it is to help them move down the ladder or get off it completely.

Honestly, if you want something else to get a little high from then stick to cannabis.
    Kratom really is alone in its effects in that it gets you high without the risk to your life. It is like an opiate for those who don't want the risks that come from taking them.

Smoke a little weed on your off days, if you HAVE to use something, otherwise just enjoy the days of as best you can

4. Cilonen

Cilonen Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    Ya the only thing that comes to mind is smoking weed. He may eat a small space-cookie to prolong the effect and make the consumption easier. Well, all this if he still can handle his job high and if it's not a big deal for his boss if he would find out.

He might check out Phenibut. He can't take it on all his days off since it would be too addictive and dangerous. But perhaps once a week max. He gotta make sure that he reads everything about dosage, effects, dangers and withdrawals before he even considers it. The dangers aren't comparable to Kratom if he abuses it.

But tbh it sounds like the best option would be to find a new job sooner or later which isn't that boring, don't you think? For me at least drugs could be a temporal solution only, in this case.

5. Calyspical

Calyspical Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Just have to be careful. I think I read a stern warning on here, that Rhodiola interacts badly with another "plant"
    If I remember correctly, it was Kanna, that it was advised not to take with Rhodiola/

6. renacer

renacer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    At one the ethnobotanical bars around here they have a drink that's made of one part rhodiola, one part kanna, and one part kratom. It's something of a secret menu item because they don't advertise it but will only give it to people who look like they know what they're doing. Supposedly this results in massive potentiation of all three parts.

I tried it and didn't feel anything except for the kratom and was a little more stimulated than usual. I've also tried kanna by itself twice and not gotten anything out of it. It makes me an anomaly among the crowd there because everyone either has the best or worst things happen from kanna and to me it's a placebo.

7. weedman23

weedman23 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Try Kava,i started using it to help me stay off kratom to lower my tolerance and it works,i have not touched kratom since i started using it and it gives a similar effect,relaxing and sedating with a bit of euphoria.

8. Jizzmasterzero

Jizzmasterzero Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Southeast USA
    Where is this ethnobotanical bar? Sounds like I need to take a road trip! I've read about people taking cats claw, so that might be worth looking into. I enjoy taking mucuna pruriens with green tea, just toss and wash both powders. Better yet is a formulation including mucuna and some other things that a popular online vendor sells. He calls it Egyptian Coffee, I add the contents of a bag of green tea to it. Very stimulating and good for work.

9. renacer

renacer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    St. Petersburg. The kava scene is huge here.

10. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't agree that kratom is the bottom of the ladder in the opioid chain. I would place it between codeine and hydrocodone personally. This is in terms of pain relieving effects and euphoria.

As for danger goes, yeah its towards the bottom because its disgusting (makes it difficult to take massive amounts), little respiratory depression compared to other opioids and you'll likely throw up before you could have a fatal overdose on kratom.

As for suggestions on off days you really should not do anything else in my opinion because you're taking a risk of getting addicted to two substances instead of one.

Kava is something to look into though I would agree with the other posters, its sedating but you can function just fine and it has mild euphoria (when enough is taken). Make sure you're getting only the root and not the entire plant when you order Kava (which I believe is 99% of what's sold now anyway).

Kava does have a downside though, its numbing effects can make some people nauseous so its not for everyone. Its also believed to inhibit many liver enzymes making for potentially dangerous drug interactions.

You'll want to get the kava with a high percentage of Kavalactones, which is the primary active ingredient of kava.

11. Jonathan James Jones

Jonathan James Jones Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    All of our experiences may be slightly different, but based on mine: please don't consider using other drugs on kratom "off days". Frankly I personally don't believe in "off days" with kratom. But anyway, other drugs can be truly physically addicting, while kratom likely is not.

To me, tramadol is almost identical to kratom in terms of effects. Especially in regard to the uplifting anti-depressant effect. But in my experience tramadol is truly physically addicting and I'm glad I don't fool with stuff like that anymore. And that's exactly why I, personally, don't believe in this kratom "off day" stuff.

Jonathan James Jones added 9 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

I'd like to do a late edit on my post. Kratom and a *large dose* of tramadol are, to me anyway, equivalent in effects. Not small or regular doses of tramadol, which aren't much in terms of effect.

Also, as far as ethnobotanicals go (naturopathy, which I'm a big believer in), I personally haven't found any plant matter than comes close to kratom. Kava is sort of ok, but it's an entirely different thing and really has no noticeable mood-lifting quality that I can notice. Not even in large doses.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  12. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Don't say kratom is likely not addicting please. There are plenty of reports on the kratom addiction thread on the top of this forum that shows otherwise, I am one of them.

Withdrawals are about the same as withdrawal from hydrocodone, achy legs, runny nose, extreme fatigue. It can be addicting but it's a step down from the higher level opioids like oxycodone, methadone, heroin, etc.

13. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Hundreds (if not more) of personal reports from kratom users beg to differ. You are in for a nasty suprise if you use kratom regularly believing it not to be addictive.

14. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I just switch off and ignore what anyone says when they say Kratom is not addictive. I mean really, what planet are these people living on!? :)

15. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    The planet 2004
    That's when i started using kratom and everyone that sold it (there were not many vendors) all carried the same page of information, mostly sections from the 1970's rep[ort on Thai farmers who used it and some other basic botanical information but the thing that really grabbed me was the statement that 'It is not addictive'
    "great stuff", said I, as i continued to neck it like there was no tomorrow. Unfortunately tomorrow eventually came and it brought with it withdrawals, physical and psychological.

I have little time for people who still make that claim a decade later, there is more than enough evidence on line that kratom is indeed addictive and anyone who does even the most minimum of research will know that.

16. iguasu

iguasu Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from greece
    Physical and emotional addiction. Yes.
    But nothing compared with opiates though.
    I never used pain killers or other stuff like oxycodone, hydrocodone, codeine, etc.
    I started, years ago, on street heroin, so kratom for me has a mild feeling like this. I am clean for about 15 years, tried kratom 5 months ago and I can say it has some "pleasure" and euphoria, a mild opiate feeling. Never experienced till now withdrawal, even if I use it daily, started from 5 grams and now I am on about 8 grams/day. I stayed clean for 72 hours with no side effects. Maybe my "receptors" are very strong, after bad abuse of opiates, even if it happened in the past. I dont know. I feel comfortable with this. Can work, play with my kids, be social and, for now, I am ok with this. Maybe in the future it would rise something bad, maybe not. If something appears I know I have the power to kick it away.

I dont like to call it "drug", but it has all the good and bad things drugs have. So yes, its a drug, but I believe, is a mild one. On responsible use it can be very helpfull, physically and mentaly. So answering the first question, what to use on "offdays?" I could say: nothing :)

17. blacksparrow

blacksparrow Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I had a similar problem and was sometimes using chamomile tea in the evenings.
    Cut down on your use to 3 times a week. Find something to distract yourself -- read or write or do a hobby. Don't do something passive -- get something that works your mind. I know what you mean. You need to get to a point where you don't obsessively think of them as your 'off' days... I used to be there.